Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post

If Dallas' black community was enhanced ANYWAY by nearby black schools then why do we need one in the city.

People travel to different cities to go to black schools an then move to the city they want(or back home).Most of the HBCU's are full of people from other cities not locals.The black community where the school is located is really not important.

Also, a lot of these black communities revolved around these schools because back in time, as we all know, areas were segregated meaning that blacks couldn't go to the white colleges and schools. So, blacks started their own colleges, and the rest is history. This is a reason why the majority of HBCUs are located in black communities.

Yes, many HBCU students move to cities that don't have HBCUs or that even have irrelevant ones, BUT having an HBCU in a city just adds more to that city's black community. When the kids graduate, the majority of them will settle in the same city that the school is located in, since they have become familiar with the city; more than likely, that city will offer jobs that correspond with all of the school’s majors and programs.

Not only that, but having an HBCU gives flavor to that city’s black community. Homecoming is a major event of an HBCU which includes the football game, parades, BBQs, concerts, Greek shows, and other festivities; these events are all opened to the public. Also, you have a classic game (rivalry game) that has similar events to Homecoming. You have basketball games, other concerts, etc. throughout the year that public friendly.

To be honest, many HBCUs are the hearts of many black communities. It has been proven and stated many times that Alabama A&M is the heartbeat of Huntsville’s black community; many companies there have a GREAT percentage of blacks because of A&M and even Oakwood.

What if TSU disappeared, wouldn’t Third Ward dwindle even faster? How would Houston change? Yea, blacks will continue to move here in droves since black America has truly discovered its abilities, but without TSU and/or PV, Houston’s black community wouldn’t have that extra oomph or that extra soul. Watch how more live the city’s black community will get once football season starts; SHOOT, when school starts period.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:07 AM

725 posts, read 1,241,440 times
Quote:

If Dallas' black community was enhanced ANYWAY by nearby black schools then why do we need one in the city.

People travel to different cities to go to black schools an then move to the city they want(or back home).Most of the HBCU's are full of people from other cities not locals.The black community where the school is located is really not important.
I'll give you an example of why this makes a difference. My uncle went to PV and my mom went to TSU. They are from rural east Texas. My mom lived in Houston ever since college (except for a three year stint in Dallas) and my uncle lived there for over 20 years. They became part of a black professional community in Houston that at that time (late 70s to mid 80s) was nearly non-existent in Dallas, especially in the northern, monied parts of the city. Tens of thousands of people have done this over the years and the reason that Houston's black community, to this day is seen as stronger and in the same conversation of somewhere like Atlanta or Washington DC (which I see that you didn't address) is because in the past when blacks have only been able to get good educations from HBCUs, these were the areas that had them available. Those areas that also had growing, dynamic economies, developed strong black middle classes. This happened in Houston well before DFW and this is a primary reason.

The truth of the matter is that if you are truthful with yourself about Dallas' history, you would know exactly why there are no significant HBCUs there. I'll let you research that one yourself.

I'll make this my last reply to you with respect to this point. If TSU couldn't educate you, I certainly can't.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
I forgot about TAILGATING! Tailgating is one BIG family reunion at these HBCU games. Dallas doesn't have that, and I don't have to live there to know this because it's obvious since there's not a TRUE HBCU there that will give you this type of experience. Here, during football season, you'll have something to look forward to every Saturday regarding TSU and PV.

Shucks, even the SWAC Championship has moved here!

Old 08-22-2014, 02:14 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I'll give you an example of why this makes a difference. My uncle went to PV and my mom went to TSU. They are from rural east Texas. My mom lived in Houston ever since college (except for a three year stint in Dallas) and my uncle lived there for over 20 years. They became part of a black professional community in Houston that at that time (late 70s to mid 80s) was nearly non-existent in Dallas, especially in the northern, monied parts of the city. Tens of thousands of people have done this over the years and the reason that Houston's black community, to this day is seen as stronger and in the same conversation of somewhere like Atlanta or Washington DC (which I see that you didn't address) is because in the past when blacks have only been able to get good educations from HBCUs, these were the areas that had them available. Those areas that also had growing, dynamic economies, developed strong black middle classes. This happened in Houston well before DFW and this is a primary reason.

The truth of the matter is that if you are truthful with yourself about Dallas' history, you would know exactly why there are no significant HBCUs there. I'll let you research that one yourself.

I'll make this my last reply to you with respect to this point. If TSU couldn't educate you, I certainly can't.
You are still bringing up the past...as of now I and ANY black person can thrive in ANY city they choose...HBCU or not...Thats my whole point.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:27 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,009 times
Quote:
You are still bringing up the past...as of now I and ANY black person can thrive in ANY city they choose...HBCU or not...Thats my whole point.
Now you're just being deliberately obtuse. Nobody ever said a black person absolutely NEEDS an HBCU in the community to be successful. They have simply been pointing out their benefit to the community. Strawman, much?

Old 08-22-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Now you're just being deliberately obtuse. Nobody ever said a black person absolutely NEEDS an HBCU in the community to be successful. They have simply been pointing out their benefit to the community. Strawman, much?
No...People wrote off Dallas' Black community because it didnt have the HBCU influence that Houston Has. That offended me because I live in Dallas and I am black....It paints the wrong picture about Dallas. Ask Southernboy205..He's never been here but going by what people are SAYING he thinks Dallas is bad for blacks.
My whole point is to tell how life is great in Dallas as a Black person and no it does not matter if the city has an HBCU.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 PM

875 posts, read 1,662,224 times
Quote:
No...People wrote off Dallas' Black community because it didnt have the HBCU influence that Houston Has. That offended me because I live in Dallas and I am black....It paints the wrong picture about Dallas. Ask Southernboy205..He's never been here but going by what people are SAYING he thinks Dallas is bad for blacks.
My whole point is to tell how life is great in Dallas as a Black person and no it does not matter if the city has an HBCU.
I don't think people write of Dallas because of the lack HBCU support. I think it has everything to do with the culture/vibe and how spaced out the Metroplex really is. No one is denying or putting down the black community there, its just not as strong as Houston's. I cant believe you don't see that, even though you lived in Houston. Don't try to use this "post racial" BS to validate your point. Just accept the fact that Houston has the upper hand as for "blacks" in Texas. Its really not up for debate..

Outside of being black, that's where my "either" comes in to play, because "on paper" these two cities are very similar.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I don't think people write of Dallas because of the lack HBCU support. I think it has everything to do with the culture/vibe and how spaced out the Metroplex really is. No one is denying or putting down the black community there, its just not as strong as Houston's. I cant believe you don't see that, even though you lived in Houston. Don't try to use this "post racial" BS to validate your point. Just accept the fact that Houston has the upper hand as for "blacks" in Texas. Its really not up for debate..

Outside of being black, that's where my "either" comes in to play, because "on paper" these two cities are very similar.
That's exactly whats being done....I lived in both and don't see a difference. thats why Im so offended by this.

You can scream Dallas' black community is not as strong as Houston's all you want.. but until someone backs it up and show HOW....I will disagree.....College Homecoming games just dont say much.

I do see how HBCUs' helped shape black communities back in the 30's and 40's. But that was when blacks had nothing else to call their own...so it makes sense...But in 2014 its different...blacks are not limited to certain areas of the city anymore.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:36 PM

875 posts, read 1,662,224 times
Quote:
That's exactly whats being done....I lived in both and don't see a difference. thats why Im so offended by this.

You can scream Dallas' black community is not as strong as Houston's all you want.. but until someone backs it up and show HOW....I will disagree.....College Homecoming games just dont say much.

I do see how HBCUs' helped shape black communities back in the 30's and 40's. But that was when blacks had nothing else to call their own...so it makes sense...But in 2014 its different...blacks are not limited to certain areas of the city anymore.
You seriously need to wake up! I cannot believe you think the world is such as different place....we are still (IMO) living in Jim Crow, just in a more modern form. Just because we can roam freely in certain areas still does not mean we are "accepted" in those communities. That's why (we still) need our own. Certain folks have a hard time grasping the Black Culture, conforming is not the answer, at least to me its not.

It has been stated on many occasions of how the black community in DFW does not equate to Houston. Hell, you & Dallaz ridiculous post shows the massive differences in mind frame. "You" going to TSU "should" have seen that, or maybe that was "too much" for you. I feel that alot of you North Texans know it, but don't want to admit it. Why don't you explain how Dallas equates to Houston for blacks?

Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
The main reason Dallas HBCU's have failed in my opinion is due to being run by corrupt leaders. Bishop College did serve the Dallas black community from 1961 to 1988. It's important to also take into consideration that PV and TSU are both state funded institutions. Paul Quinn and Bishop were both private institutions and I believe that was the main reason for Bishop demise. It's a lot easier to get away with corruption for a long time at a private institution than at a state funded institution.

Historically speaking Bishop and Wiley College played a significant role in the Texas Civil Rights movement. The rest of the Texas HBCU's were pretty tamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas