Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
And those are the ones that don't do well there. The people that go there to work generally do well.

You can make that same case of any number of schools across the country, HBCU or otherwise. People can think what they want but there's lots of successful PV alumni (including many in my family) who got a fine education there.

In most cases employers don't even care where you went to school, as long as you have the skillset they need. The main differences in schools these days is the quality of their alumni networks.

At the end of the day both TSU and PV are huge benefits to Houston's black community that DFW simply doesn't have, point blank.
Also, employers ALWAYS get Alabama A&M confused with the University of Alabama. They ask,"Isn't that school with the good football team?" I be so weak. Too, companies recruit from HBCUs ALL THE TIME to bring in diversity to their workforce.

And to Dallaz, do you wonder how different your life would have been if you would have gone to PV?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Also, employers ALWAYS get Alabama A&M confused with the University of Alabama. They ask,"Isn't that school with the good football team?" I be so weak. Too, companies recruit from HBCUs ALL THE TIME to bring in diversity to their workforce.

And to Dallaz, do you wonder how different your life would have been if you would have gone to PV?
Bruh, I've been around black people all my life. The schools I attended from elementary to high school have been mostly black. I want to experience going to a diverse school with people of different religions and backgrounds. HBCUs are for some people but not for me.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:44 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
And y'all wonder why dallas blacks have that reputation...
Dallas Blacks Don't need crutches like HBCU's to make us feel important. HBCU's only help segregate black people....we used to HAVE to go to them in the past...now we don't....Its like being mad that your dad took your training wheels off your bike but you quit needing them years before......Training wheels are still good...but everybody dont need them to ride

Old 08-21-2014, 02:03 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Dallas Blacks Don't need crutches like HBCU's to make us feel important. HBCU's only help segregate black people....we used to HAVE to go to them in the past...now we don't....Its like being mad that your dad took your training wheels off your bike but you quit needing them years before......Training wheels are still good...but everybody dont need them to ride
How do you know what Dallas blacks need and don't need? The lack of large hbcu's in the Dallas area had nothing to do with whether Dallas blacks attend any or not.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:03 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,693 times
Quote:
The large contingent of black Dallasites that enroll at TSU and PV says the exact opposite.

Am I mistaken when I recollect that you in fact once attended TSU?

And by the way, if you think blacks attend HBCUs purely for reasons of ethnicity, I disagree based on my own personal experience. I had never even heard of the HBCU I attended until my senior year of high school. The only reason I ended up going there was because it's one of like 20 schools in the country (total) that offered my preferred course of study. It also just so happened that they also offered the best financial package, the best physical environment (being on the water and all), and yes, the best selection of ladies of any school to which I applied. The decision was easy, and it would have been nearly as easy if it were not an HBCU. (The only difference being that given my taste in women, I doubt I would have been as wowed at a non-HBCU.)

People do things sometimes for reasons that aren't always as obvious as everyone else believes them to be.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:07 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times
LOL..so now seeking a college education is a "crutch" only if you're attending an HBCU, right? Maybe the folks who attend those universities don't do it to "make themselves feel good". Maybe they are there for an education just like any other university. *shrugs* Boy, I couldn't make this stuff up about Dallas folks if I tried. Keep'em coming!

In the grand scheme of things,a school like UNT is considered a joke of a school by most folks at other Historically White universities. Both of my parents graduated from PV with my dad being a retired engineer. Even now, PV still graduates more Black engineers in Texas than all the other schools combined just as it places more Blacks in medical school than any other college in Texas. As some one stated TSU still produces the most Black attorneys and Pharmacists in Texas than any other school. If you don't see how instrumental that is in forming and maintaining a Black middle class then you're just lying to yourself.

I think the fact that you would openly acknowlege that the reason that you've applied to ANY school is because of a "party school" reputation lets me know that you probably weren't a very serious student to begin with. Out of all the things that I evaluated when I was researching schools and programs for both my bachelor's and master's; that never crossed my mind. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
How do you know what Dallas blacks need and don't need? The lack of large hbcu's in the Dallas area had nothing to do with whether Dallas blacks attend any or not.
I never hear any Blacks complaining about not Having HBCU's in Dallas....yes we have a piece of one at Paul Quinn but its so obvious of how stupid it would be to go there. Nothing against Black colleges but its sad that so many blacks feel cheated without the segrigating infrastruture created for Blacks eons ago....GROW UP PEOPLE and quit living in the past and b****ing about how everybody do us wrong....Ughhhh!!...its disgusting

Old 08-21-2014, 03:12 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,693 times
Quote:
LOL..so now seeking a college education is a "crutch" only if you're attending an HBCU, right? Maybe the folks who attend those universities don't do it to "make themselves feel good". Maybe they are there for an education just like any other university. *shrugs* Boy, I couldn't make this stuff up about Dallas folks if I tried. Keep'em coming!

In the grand scheme of things,a school like UNT is considered a joke of a school by most folks at other Historically White universities. Both of my parents graduated from PV with my dad being a retired engineer. Even now, PV still graduates more Black engineers in Texas than all the other schools combined just as it places more Blacks in medical school than any other college in Texas. As some one stated TSU still produces the most Black attorneys and Pharmacists in Texas than any other school. If you don't see how instrumental that is in forming and maintaining a Black middle class then you're just lying to yourself.

I think the fact that you would openly acknowlege that the reason that you've applied to ANY school is because of a "party school" reputation lets me know that you probably weren't a very serious student to begin with. Out of all the things that I evaluated when I was researching schools and programs for both my bachelor's and master's; that never crossed my mind. Different strokes for different folks I guess
Love this post. Completely agree. Just to add on, a TSU pharmacy graduate told me (so take it with a grain of salt) that they graduate around 1/3 of all black pharmacists in the COUNTRY. I don't know how true that figure is, but I found an article a few weeks ago that ranked them as the number one producer of black pharmacists. I'll see if I can find it again and post it.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:

See...you all keep ignoring that this is how the reputations of black schools arise....They mostly lure in half serious students that's really not serious about school enough to apply to a better school but they know they can go to a black school because they accept everybody and it would make their family proud.....But when applying for a job they quickly pull the race card when students from better schools are picked over them.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:28 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times
Quote:
They mostly lure in half serious students that's really not serious about school enough to apply to a better school
So is this the reason why you CHOSE to go to TSU???? Please stop projecting your insecurities. Own up to your own inadequacies. You went to TSU because you were half serious....you went because you couldn't get in anywhere else. Thats YOUR truth. You can only speak about your own experience. As far as I'm concerned, it seems like TSU did you a favor by atleast giving you a shot but clearly you couldn't even take advantage of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas