Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I hope you Have an open mind WHENEVER you decide to visit...Dallas does not want to be Houston so dont expect to see Houston when you visit....These two cities are indeed in the same state but are taking different paths....very different.....but that's what makes this state so great....Its the Best of All Worlds.
And don't think I was trying to bring it down either.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM

96 posts, read 245,386 times
I personally liked the feel in Houston better than I did in Dallas. I think Houston has a vibe where anyone could just jump in and feel comfortable living life.

Dallas does feel a bit more professional though, and I suspect the opportunities for financial wealth in DFW more accessible, which might explain why you have more blacks moving into the metroplex. South of I-30 (the non-wratchet parts, lol) did have a nice 'back home' charm that I think is missing from a lot of places, but that charm seemed to taper away as soon as I traveled closer to the northwestern suburbs (near Grapevine and Flowermound felt more materialistic). That said, I really like what's going on in the Las Colinas area. That looks like a model city for young professionals with families.

I think the checkerboard layout of communities is what makes Houston more easy going. Austin also has a good vibe, but I'm actually a little shocked to see how the majority of affluent black families have been transplants and not homegrown.

It's like out here on the west coast. You will find more blacks here in Southern California by the number, but the community going on in the Bay Area is tighter knit, which gives the area a totally different feel. Both are great, just different. Everyone has their own preferences.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:13 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,198 times
So with all this said, why do people say Houston is dirty and Dallas is the token place. Living in Atl, I've been thinking of moving to TX just becasue I hear the economy is better! Researching, Houston seems waaaaaaay better. But people always say Dallas, Dallas, Dallas. They say it's cleaner and not dirty and ghetto. W/e that means?...What do ya'll think?

Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 PM

96 posts, read 245,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
So with all this said, why do people say Houston is dirty and Dallas is the token place. Living in Atl, I've been thinking of moving to TX just becasue I hear the economy is better! Researching, Houston seems waaaaaaay better. But people always say Dallas, Dallas, Dallas. They say it's cleaner and not dirty and ghetto. W/e that means?...What do ya'll think?
Edit: Visually, a lot of the south looks pretty raggedy from my perspective. DFW seemed more orderly, but the rundown parts seemed just as rundown in the ones in Houston. As for Houston, I've visited some friends who lived in Sugarland and Missouri City and was pretty impressed with how well maintain they were.

As for employment, I think it's going to be easier to find a professional job in DFW. But I am not a local. If you get a nibble for a career opportunity in Dallas then take it...but I'd say hold out for Htown if you could (if comfort is honestly a top priority).

Last edited by VIBЄ; 08-12-2014 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 10:17 PM

I can't speak for Dallas, but I've heard on SVEVERAL occasions on how it is cleaner and more organized than Houston. I've learned on here that Dallas has zoning.

I live in Houston, so I can attest. Houston is one big random mess, but it's a good mess. The city lacks zoning, so you'll have the ghetto intermixed with rich areas; you'll see skyline after skyline and skyscraper after skyscraper. It's weird, but it's Houston.

As far as professional goes, Houston, from reports, has more jobs than Dallas and more job growth; with that said, the city that has more professional jobs can be subjective.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
I personally liked the feel in Houston better than I did in Dallas. I think Houston has a vibe where anyone could just jump in and feel comfortable living life.

Dallas does feel a bit more professional though, and I suspect the opportunities for financial wealth in DFW more accessible, which might explain why you have more blacks moving into the metroplex. South of I-30 (the non-wratchet parts, lol) did have a nice 'back home' charm that I think is missing from a lot of places, but that charm seemed to taper away as soon as I traveled closer to the northwestern suburbs (near Grapevine and Flowermound felt more materialistic). That said, I really like what's going on in the Las Colinas area. That looks like a model city for young professionals with families.

I think the checkerboard layout of communities is what makes Houston more easy going. Austin also has a good vibe, but I'm actually a little shocked to see how the majority of affluent black families have been transplants and not homegrown.

It's like out here on the west coast. You will find more blacks here in Southern California by the number, but the community going on in the Bay Area is tighter knit, which gives the area a totally different feel. Both are great, just different. Everyone has their own preferences.
From the population data from the article about why blacks are wary of moving to Dallas, more blacks are moving and have been moving to Houston since 2006.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:58 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
From the population data from the article about why blacks are wary of moving to Dallas, more blacks are moving and have been moving to Houston since 2006.
I wish people would stop quoting that old, stupid article. Out of all the many black transplants I know and have met here in DFW, none of them are miserable here, they all love North Texas, and none of us "have a hard time finding each other." That is absolute BS.

One thing about most transplants is that if they have moved from one place to another, then they are usually willing and capable of moving to another place if they want or mving back where they came from. So if soooooo many young black professional transplants hate DFW so much are so "wary" of it, then why do the vast majority of them stay in DFW once they arrive, and how come so many more are moving here and can't wait to get here...?

Also, I think your stat is wrong. I think more blacks are actually moving to DFW now. Isn't that what has been repeated several times already in this very same thread, even by some of the Houston posters?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
Edit: Visually, a lot of the south looks pretty raggedy from my perspective. DFW seemed more orderly, but the rundown parts seemed just as rundown in the ones in Houston. As for Houston, I've visited some friends who lived in Sugarland and Missouri City and was pretty impressed with how well maintain they were.

As for employment, I think it's going to be easier to find a professional job in DFW. But I am not a local. If you get a nibble for a career opportunity in Dallas then take it...but I'd say hold out for Htown if you could (if comfort is honestly a top priority).
To coolieandre - I agree with this post for the most part. DFW is cleaner and more orderly in one half of the city. The other half of the city is just as ghetto/dirty/rundown as any of the bad areas of Houston. Difference is, in Houston those bad areas are more spread out around the city, so more people are exposed to them.

And before I get flamed yes there are small pockets of nice in South Dallas and small pockets of not nice in North Dallas, but that's absolutely the exception and not the rule. In Houston, there are first-gen immigrant neighborhoods within shouting distance of mansions and golf clubs.

Weird, I know, but that's Houston!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I wish people would stop quoting that old, stupid article. Out of all the many black transplants I know and have met here in DFW, none of them are miserable here, they all love North Texas, and none of us "have a hard time finding each other." That is absolute BS.

One thing about most transplants is that if they have moved from one place to another, then they are usually willing and capable of moving to another place if they want or mving back where they came from. So if soooooo many young black professional transplants hate DFW so much are so "wary" of it, then why do the vast majority of them stay in DFW once they arrive, and how come so many more are moving here and can't wait to get here...?

Also, I think your stat is wrong. I think more blacks are actually moving to DFW now. Isn't that what has been repeated several times already in this very same thread, even by some of the Houston posters?
Pump ya brakes. I thought the same too UNTIL I saw the stats in the article. I'm not quoting the content of the article because it's all subjective. However, the article did point out that DFW grew more than Houston in the 2000s (which gives the article's stats some creditability, since this particular data has been proven to be true on many accounts), BUT from 2006-, Houston has been gaining more every year (with DFW ranked 4th). I guess it's safe to say that DFW gained more than Houston before 2006, since its total growth for that particular decade was higher than Houston's.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:47 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Dallas Black Community is not lacking....PERIOD....Some people may want to believe it is. But Seeing is Believing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas