Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times

Advertisements

To the Houston coward who got mad and sent me a Rep attached with a private message filled with insults and racial epithets just because you didn't like what I had to say about the quality of the average HBCU these days, next time be a man and put your user name on it, or post it out in the open where everybody can see, so you can get reported.

Moderator cut: unnecessary

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 08-06-2014 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Please send DM to a moderator next time. I will fix the rude rep comment, and infract the guilty party.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:54 AM

288 posts, read 434,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yes. PV was smart when they turned to an A&M school. TSU turned that opportunity down when i was there. Being so worried that it would lose its black roots.....why arent there any all aisan schools? Or all Hispanic schools? Or all Indian schools. When are black people gonna realize that we are NOW equal and can flourish in general society with all races and we no longer need special circumstances to segregate and comfort that Pre-Martin Luther king mentality. HBCU's were created when blacks couldn't generally mix with regular society. They were created for us to have some type of educational opportunities. But now they really are not necessary anymore......Now dont get me wrong there ARE some HBCU's that are very noteworthy but a black person shouldnt feel limited or overlooked because a city has no HBCU's. Society is alot different now. We can achieve anything we want just like the next man or next "RACE"......
PV never turned into an A&M school, it was always one. It's older than UT. It was started under the same Morril-Land Grant act that founded Texas A&M in 1876. Because of the obvious times, PV was meant to be the equivalnt for black students.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
PV never turned into an A&M school, it was always one. It's older than UT. It was started under the same Morril-Land Grant act that founded Texas A&M in 1876. Because of the obvious times, PV was meant to be the equivalnt for black students.
Ok......but this is what I meant

Quote:
In 1945, the name of the segregated institution was changed from Prairie View Normal and Industrial College to Prairie View University. The school was authorized to offer, "as need arises," all courses offered at the University of Texas. In 1947, the Texas Legislature changed the name to Prairie View A&M College of Texas and provided that "courses be offered in agriculture, the mechanics arts, engineering, and the natural sciences connected therewith, together with any other courses authorized at Prairie View at the time of passage of this act, all of which shall be equivalent to those offered at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas at Bryan."
Quote:
On August 27, 1973, the name of the institution was changed to Prairie View A&M University, and its status as an independent unit of the Texas A&M University System was confirmed.
Quote:
In 1983, the Texas Legislature proposed a constitutional amendment to restructure the Permanent University Fund to include Prairie View A&M University as a beneficiary of its proceeds.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Moderator Note: Keep this thread on topic or it will be CLOSED! Do not troll, do not respond to trolls, and do not personally attack other users.

If someone personally attacks you or leaves racist rep comments report it immediately!

Old 08-09-2014, 11:11 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
I googled Paul Quinn. I didn't realize that it has such a small enrollment.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:11 PM

Yeah paul quin won the HBCU of the year in 2011..... but its a joke of a college to me.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yeah paul quin won the HBCU of the year in 2011..... but its a joke of a college to me.
That's odd. I wonder what the credentials to be considered for such an accolade were.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
That's odd. I wonder what the credentials to be considered for such an accolade were.
Paul Quinn Wins 'HBCU of the Year' Award at Inaugural HBCU Awards Ceremony | HBCU Digest
Paul Quinn College named HBCU of the Year by The Center for HBCU Media Advocacy | Dallas South News
Paul Quinn College, An Online HBCU - Careers & Finance - EBONY

Old 08-11-2014, 06:09 AM

Great info!

Also, from being here, I found out why, according to you guys, Houston appears to have more blacks than numbers suggest. Of course, we can't forget the obvious reason that blacks are integrated in large numbers throughout the metro (except for the northern areas north of Spring), and that there are predominately black communities all of over the metro in every direction.

However, if one looks at the demographics of metro Houston, one can see the overall population percentage balance. Whites and Hispanics are neck-and-neck with about 35% of the population, blacks are 17-18% of the population, and Asians are like 6-8% of the population (I think the percentage is more because there are sooooo many Asians here). Also, the Hispanic population isn't overwhelmingly Mexican, which gives a little more balance; I've met many Hispanic people that are from Honduras, Nicaragua, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc. There's about a 17% difference between the black percentage and the Hispanic and white percentages, which is a similar percentage difference between Atlanta's black percentage and white percentage. Based off studies, DFW, on the other hand, is about 50% white (give or take) and is about 15-16% black, which is a difference of about 30-35%; that percentage is also greater than or similar to the percentage that separates Houston's Hispanic and white percentages from the Asian percentage (29-30%). I'm not going to include the Hispanic percentage, since the Hispanic and white percentages aren't equal like they are in Houston. The fact that DFW isn't as balanced can be a factor of why Houston appears to have more blacks.

Another point is that Houston and DFW are separated by 500,000, which may equate into a noticeable difference between the two's "black feel." You have Houston, the smaller metro, with a greater percentage and more of a percentage balance, while you have DFW, the larger metro, with less of a balance and a smaller black percentage. Of course, I'm not sure about the overall feel, since I haven't been to DFW.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Great info!

Also, from being here, I found out why, according to you guys, Houston appears to have more blacks than numbers suggest. Of course, we can't forget the obvious reason that blacks are integrated in large numbers throughout the metro (except for the northern areas north of Spring), and that there are predominately black communities all of over the metro in every direction.

However, if one looks at the demographics of metro Houston, one can see the overall population percentage balance. Whites and Hispanics are neck-and-neck with about 35% of the population, blacks are 17-18% of the population, and Asians are like 6-8% of the population (I think the percentage is more because there are sooooo many Asians here). Also, the Hispanic population isn't overwhelmingly Mexican, which gives a little more balance; I've met many Hispanic people that are from Honduras, Nicaragua, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc. There's about a 17% difference between the black percentage and the Hispanic and white percentages, which is a similar percentage difference between Atlanta's black percentage and white percentage. Based off studies, DFW, on the other hand, is about 50% white (give or take) and is about 15-16% black, which is a difference of about 30-35%; that percentage is also greater than or similar to the percentage that separates Houston's Hispanic and white percentages from the Asian percentage (29-30%). I'm not going to include the Hispanic percentage, since the Hispanic and white percentages aren't equal like they are in Houston. The fact that DFW isn't as balanced can be a factor of why Houston appears to have more blacks.

Another point is that Houston and DFW are separated by 500,000, which may equate into a noticeable difference between the two's "black feel." You have Houston, the smaller metro, with a greater percentage and more of a percentage balance, while you have DFW, the larger metro, with less of a balance and a smaller black percentage. Of course, I'm not sure about the overall feel, since I haven't been to DFW.
I hope you Have an open mind WHENEVER you decide to visit...Dallas does not want to be Houston so dont expect to see Houston when you visit....These two cities are indeed in the same state but are taking different paths....very different.....but that's what makes this state so great....Its the Best of All Worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas