Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 33,746 times

Advertisements

hello!

husband is in the military, his job will be in Beaumont come December 2011. where should we live? i get it that the town is sad, depressing, yada yada but houston is too far to commute, what else ya got? the luxury apts in beaumont seem beautiful, any catch with those? are there any rental agency/apt finder recommendations? we plan to visit the area in late october. hope to get some good leads by then.

if it matters, we're hispanic, no pets, disease free and super cool.

thanks!
GQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
I would say look on the west end of Beaumont, Its a real nice side of town. Every time I go home to Port Arthur I always go on there for the mall and the restaurants. The apartments there are not that bad looking either and I HEAR they are pretty affordable.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:10 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
Can't help you with any of that because I've never lived in Beaumont, but I do want to say that you've got the right attitude about your move! Beaumont is a good jumping-off point to explore other areas of Texas and Louisiana, so just make the best of it. (And you can find some good Cajun food around there!) Back before Turduckens were the cool, hip thing for everyone to have, my cousin got one from right over the border and we had it for Thanksgiving. Yummy!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Luckily I'm stuck at the airport (Laguardia ... YUK) and will respond to this Beaumont post. You can look back at Beaumont posts and get most of the info you might want. This includes my defense of Beaumont while many hammer it (people love to hate).

I live 50 miles north of there and have lived there (80's) and worked in the largest hospital for 20+ years. Not a lot of partying to do but You should be OK. BTW ... I love hip hispanics, Mexicans, Spaniards, French, Italians, Russians, ...etc!

Good luck and God bless your husband for his service!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 PM

18 posts, read 31,541 times
Everyone recommends the west end, and there ARE some nice homes there but you're gonna pay for it. Renting in this area is ridiculous as far as expense...not sure how much your BAH is but it may not get you much. We live by the LNVA canal in a nice little pocket but a couple streets over is pretty ghetto. You really just have to come out and see for yourselves because you can have something nice right next to something dumpy. From what I know (we havent rented here but my mother is), a decent apt in a decent area will run you upwards of $800-900. There are some nice ones near us (Sienna Apts I believe, on Concord Rd) that are new and have all kinds of amenities but I think rent there was over $1000. Definitely stay away from downtown!

Old 10-09-2011, 05:47 PM

25 posts, read 71,936 times
I'm gonna suggest looking at Port Neches/Nederland. They have some awesome apartment complexes, good public schools, and it's not a bad drive to Beaumont (~20 minutes). Plus a very diverse (in a good way) population of hispanic, vietnamese, caucasian, african-american, and Indian. Plenty of parks/restaurants/etc with less traffic and better schools.
Wish we had moved there instead of Orange when we had to this area here for my husband's work!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
You also could loo at Lumberton just north of beaumont perhaps the fastest growing area near it. Easy communte.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slfountain View Post
I'm gonna suggest looking at Port Neches/Nederland. They have some awesome apartment complexes, good public schools, and it's not a bad drive to Beaumont (~20 minutes). Plus a very diverse (in a good way) population of hispanic, vietnamese, caucasian, african-american, and Indian. Plenty of parks/restaurants/etc with less traffic and better schools.
Wish we had moved there instead of Orange when we had to this area here for my husband's work!

Orange has turned into a pit after the last 2 hurricanes. There was a time when it really wasn't bad. That is my hometown. I only go there to visit family and friends. If I had to move back to the area, I'd choose Nederland also. Also Lumberton as said in the last post.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,356 times
Back in the day when we moved around .... (retired military) we would contact the Chamber of Commerce in the cities we where interested in and they would send us info packets, jobs, houses, apts, school info etc... Might want to try it... Best of luck

Old 10-13-2011, 07:55 AM

157 posts, read 577,985 times
gq- Beaumont is not as bad as people claim it to be. It's a small big city in my opinion. They have a lot going on, lots of restaurants to choose from, good shopping, nice people, etc.

I grew up there & moved away about 10 years ago. At the time, the west side of town (77706-77707) was the place to be, and still is (lots of new construction). A few of my friends who still live there bought houses in the old part of town (77702) so they can renovate & preserve the really old homes. Since you don't have any kids, that might be a good option for you. If you're planning to have kids, I would stick with dowlen west or maybe an avenue of the oaks town home.

Beaumont gets such a bad wrap because of the negative history tied to that area. It's not that bad, in fact, I think it's easier to meet people in a smaller town. The best part? You never have to deal with traffic like Houston has. I hope this helps- go in with a positive attitude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas