Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times

Advertisements

It doesn't affect my life in the slightest. I went to a HS game in a small town once, for the experience, but otherwise, it is pretty easy to ignore.

HS sports is, in my opinion, harmful in general. But not nearly as harmful as all the crap food that children are fed, including in the school cafeteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 AM

663 posts, read 1,727,090 times
I'm not really tired of HS football. I just ignore it. It's not that hard to do in the metroplex. What I am really tired of is my daughter's rec league cheerleading scheduling games on Saturday afternoons. It's severe culture shock to me that anything would dare encroach on quality college football time. In Georgia even fall weddings are usually scheduled based on college bye week.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 AM

674 posts, read 1,540,722 times
I'm not a sports fan. HS football doesn't bother me. At least they don't interrupt your programming like college/NFL games.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM

18,144 posts, read 25,346,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm sure of it, but I don't think anyone here has an issue with the positive aspects of extracurricular activities; just the negative.

There is a "dark" side to high school sports.
Concussions or teachers helping athletes?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,365,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Concussions or teachers helping athletes?
...only the tip of the iceberg.

And if by "teachers helping athletes" you mean passing them in a class they're failing, then yes.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
I It's severe culture shock to me that anything would dare encroach on quality college football time.
Quality football time is Sunday afternoons, not Saturday. Saturday football is just slightly older kids playing Friday night football.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,279,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Quality football time is Sunday afternoons, not Saturday. Saturday football is just slightly older kids playing Friday night football.
Ditto,

It's about like this

Friday Nights = High School
Saturday = Semi pro Football
Sunday = NFL/College
Monday Night = NFL

So High School football doesn't interfer with College or the NFL. The only people disrupted by Friday Night High School games is people with no life and no cable tv

Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM

663 posts, read 1,727,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And Sunday football is just adults getting paid to play a kids' game. There's a reason why 18 of the 20 largest football stadiums in the US are home to college teams rather than professional teams. I've been to a lot of college and NFL games and in my experience there's a level of excitement in college games that just doesn't exist at the pro level even if the college product itself is rougher around the edges.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,219,561 times
I agree completely. College football is more entertaining to watch. Pro football is dull in comparison.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 PM

990 posts, read 2,306,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm from the Midwest and enjoy all sports.
When basketball, baseball, football seasons came around, the news would show highlights of HS games.
It's nice, it motivates kids to do better in sports.

But in Texas is almost ridiculous with HS football.
In San Antonio is covered as if they are talking about the Longhorns playing LSU.
In Houston, even though we have a NFL team, college teams and Texas A&M is close by. It seems like the local news talk about HS football just as much as NFL.

Am I the only one that thinks NFL and college football should get at least twice as much attention from local news?
I think you're making a huge false impression to other posters here outside of Texas. You're talking about local news first of all, which only gets about 8 minutes of sports each broadcast. High School is pretty much the only sport the local news can control. So they usually have a weekly highlight show. In Dallas there are 3 different 1 hour highlight shows and Fox Sports does a 1 hr statewide show each week. This pales in comparison to NFL coverage. IF you want to really know the pulse of coverage, you should listen to sports radio.

If you're talking about other sports, again, they have their specific contracts. Look on their networks, look in the newspaper and listen to sports radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas