Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
I debated about how to split Texas up for a couple of days now. Here is my only conclusion on how she should be split:

I know its less than 3 ways, and not following in with the original rules of the discussion, but that is about the only way I can cut her in good conscience.

Let the Republic live again.
You're absolutely right. That's the only way NATIVE Texans would ever divide her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 06:20 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You're absolutely right. That's the only way NATIVE Texans would ever divide her!
Buy making her part of the abyss? Why why would you just erase our beautiful state.. How about erasing the rest of the USA, and keeping the best part.. TEXAS.

This is how I would of done it..

Old 07-06-2008, 06:31 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
You must have missed the last sentence - "Let the Republic live again".

Old 07-06-2008, 06:32 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You must have missed the last sentence - "Let the Republic live again".
I really need to work on my humor.. people just don't get it. Or am I a bit over the top with it..

Side Note: But I think you should also stick Mexico below, so some people wont get the idea you making it part of that country..

Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,642 times
After reading everyone's posts there is obviously more cultural areas in Texas than just 3-5 sections. This is the biggest dilemma in dividing the state with everyone in mind but adhering to the rules. I understand that my proposal is not going to fit with what other people think but it seems like the best solution. I would only make 4 sections, instead of 5, so that each is large enough and would have at least 1 major city.

East - The border, primarily North-to-South, would start around Bonham down to Crockett. It would diagonal West to encompass Bryan-CS then back South to the Gulf. It would include the Houston Metro (I understand that East Texas is different cultural from Houston but that way there is a major economic hub in the region).

North - The border would run mostly East-to-West, cutting just under DFW, Abilene, and Midland-Odessa. DFW would just have to get along with the panhandle.

South - This section would include Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and El Paso. The border would cut diagonally across the state form the gulf to just under Midland-Odessa.

Middle - To give this section access to the ocean I would have a little section of the gulf including Port Lavaca and Victoria inbetween Corpus Cristi and Houston. This section would also get Austin, Waco, and San Angelo.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
West Texas the largest Texas State stretching from El Paso to Junction (Gateway to the West) Eagle Pass up to Permian Basin Includes the cities of Midland/Odessa, El Paso, Abilene, San Angelo. Capitol City is Alpine. Motto: The Friendly State

Bigger D. Pan Handle to DFW area. Includes the cities of Lubbock, Amarillo, Ftw, Dallas. Capitol City: Dallas. State Bird - Mockingbird. State Motto: A state of our own.

Edwards Plateau: San Antonio North to Waco, Austin West to Fredericksburg. Cities of San Antonio, Austin, Waco, San Marcos, Kerrville. State Capitol Austin. Motto: Will trade water for gas.

South Texas Valley/ Coastal Planes: Laredo to Brownsville up to Corpus/Port Aransas: Cities: Laredo, Corpus Christie, Victoria, Brownsville, McAllen. Capitol City - Laredo State Animal: the Chupacabra. Motto: Duck!

East Texas: Houston to Longview: cities include Houston, Galveston, Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Paris, Nacadoches. Capitol City: Tyler. Motto: Living behind the Pine Curtain.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:18 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Thumbs down Divided Texas ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
West Texas the largest Texas State stretching from El Paso to Junction (Gateway to the West) Eagle Pass up to Permian Basin Includes the cities of Midland/Odessa, El Paso, Abilene, San Angelo. Capitol City is Alpine. Motto: The Friendly State

Bigger D. Pan Handle to DFW area. Includes the cities of Lubbock, Amarillo, Ftw, Dallas. Capitol City: Dallas. State Bird - Mockingbird. State Motto: A state of our own.

Edwards Plateau: San Antonio North to Waco, Austin West to Fredericksburg. Cities of San Antonio, Austin, Waco, San Marcos, Kerrville. State Capitol Austin. Motto: Will trade water for gas.

South Texas Valley/ Coastal Planes: Laredo to Brownsville up to Corpus/Port Aransas: Cities: Laredo, Corpus Christie, Victoria, Brownsville, McAllen. Capitol City - Laredo State Animal: the Chupacabra. Motto: Duck!

East Texas: Houston to Longview: cities include Houston, Galveston, Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Paris, Nacadoches. Capitol City: Tyler. Motto: Living behind the Pine Curtain.
Of course you make Dallas the capital of a state, that has a State line evidently, just a few miles east of town, and stretches 500 miles to the west. Your east Texas state makes Tyler its capital? If this state were to exist wouldn't you think that perhaps Huntsville would be a better choice as capital ?

I wouldn't divide it up 5 ways, I think I would go minimalist with 3 states . I would combine your east Texas state and south Texas state and have a town like Victoria as its capital (you know being centrally located and all), then I would combine your west Texas state, with your Edwards plateau state, and of course have Austin as its capital, being they already have the building and all. Then I would leave you your Bigger D state, only I would move the capital westward to perhaps Wichita Falls ?

The state mottos for all three would be "now you have three of us to deal with"

Names of the states are for another time I suppose

Old 05-12-2013, 11:40 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arerd View Post
East - The border, primarily North-to-South, would start around Bonham down to Crockett. It would diagonal West to encompass Bryan-CS then back South to the Gulf. It would include the Houston Metro (I understand that East Texas is different cultural from Houston but that way there is a major economic hub in the region).
Every major city is going to stand out from its surrounding region(s), but Houston definitely has cultural ties to East Texas, and it will always be related to and have a history with the region.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
1. Redneck Riviera
2. City

Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Cede Austin to California and Houston to New York and the rest can stay Texas, even Dallas, but they have to promise not to think too much of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas