Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I can ascertain one of two things from this post. You're either just acting out because you don't want to face facts, or you have actually never been to Houston, as you have previously claimed you have. No one with good eye sight visits both cities and doesn't notice a remarkable difference in the amount of greenery. "In the city it looks no different than Dallas"? LMAO. I've already posted great proof to the contrary, and I'm sure that not even you believe that lie.

I wasnt going to say anything, but I was thinking "you've got to be kidding yourself" when I read that...but to each his own... I know several areas of the actual city that are far more green than the Dallas area, both within its city and outside of it. I drive through them practically every single day...Ill try to take a crappy snapshot today or tomorrow if I have time. In my opinion, its one thing to say that trees dont matter to you as an individual, but its another thing entirely to say that the 2 regions dont have a stark difference in the greenery abound at all.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
Meh. If those flat and swampy plains are filled with lush scenery, I'd easily take them over any rolling terrain that wasn't. Hills come second to trees, for me. To each his own.

I can ascertain one of two things from this post. You're either just acting out because you don't want to face facts, or you have actually never been to Houston, as you have previously claimed you have. No one with good eye sight visits both cities and doesn't notice a remarkable difference in the amount of greenery. "In the city it looks no different than Dallas"? LMAO. I've already posted great proof to the contrary, and I'm sure that not even you believe that lie.
The pictures you posted look no different than the pictures I posted..If there is a difference its slight. Now I never denied Houston had taller trees...The thing is its not the whole city of houston,Just the outskirts...Just like I can point out many areas in and around Dallas that have comparable tree coverage to Houston...but its not the whole city just certin areas. Quit acting like people are surrounded by tall trees EVERYWHERE you go in Houston. That's just not the case....Just like there are areas in Dallas that is kinda sparse but its not the whole city....

Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
The major cities of Europe (London, Paris, Berlin, Moscow, Milan, Vienna, Prague, Bucharest) are not on the seacoast, but inland, along rivers. DFW is also riverine, located at the inflexion point where several smaller streams converge into the Trinity River. The point where the river broke up and was crossable created a natural focus for a town to develop, and human innovation made that town into a major metro of 6 1/2 million.

On the issue of trees and fertility... if the terrain around Houston actually was that fertile, the forest cover would have been converted to open cropland, due to economic pressure. But that didn't happen, because the soil did not have the fertility to compete economically with places such as North Texas.
Yes, it did happen.

In fact, Houston used to be heavy in the logging industry. The city was at a time a lot more forested than it is now.

Once rural areas like Katy, Sugarland, & Pearland were farm land. Rice was & still is a huge crop in the region. I was just at the store the other day & saw a container of rice saying "Made In USA" & "Go Texan" on it, looked on the back & it was from Alvin, Tx.

Keep spouting stuff you have not a clue about.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
You must realize, of course, that claiming to be personally ignorant of something is not evidence that it does not exist. I have, in fact, seen many thick, impassable jungle-like areas in the North Texas forests, such as in the Cross Timbers, The Trinity Forest, on the lakeshores, and elsewhere.

No, Houston may be unique, but not because of trees. There are many other towns in Texas wth equivalent tree cover.

As I have mentioned, excessive tree cover is an indicator of two things... excessive and insufferable humidity, and poor soils that do not economically justify clearing forests for farmland.
Oh so thats the reason they grow so many peaches in Georgia.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The pictures you posted look no different than the pictures I posted..If there is a difference its slight. Now I never denied Houston had taller trees...The thing is its not the whole city of houston,Just the outskirts...Just like I can point out many areas in and around Dallas that have comparable tree coverage to Houston...but its not the whole city just certin areas. Quit acting like people are surrounded by tall trees EVERYWHERE you go in Houston. That's just not the case....Just like there are areas in Dallas that is kinda sparse but its not the whole city....
"Just the outskirts"? Did you even look at those street view links? There is nothing similar in North Texas.

No one said anything about us being completely surrounded by tall trees. We're no Atlanta, but we're certainly no Dallas either.

It's killing you all to admit it.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
"Just the outskirts"? Did you even look at those street view links? There is nothing similar in North Texas.

No one said anything about us being completely surrounded by tall trees. We're no Atlanta, but we're certainly no Dallas either.

It's killing you all to admit it.
I admitted it Eons ago....But you have to give dallas some credit. We are not as barren as you guys want us to be. Thats my only point.I guess you didn't even bother to look at the pictures I posted.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
See.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times
Quote:
I admitted it Eons ago....But you have to give dallas some credit. We are not as barren as you guys want us to be. Thats my only point.I guess you didn't even bother to look at the pictures I posted.
I never said Dallas was barren. Take that up with Matt. What I said is that DFW was not as lush as I prefer an area to be.

Quote:
See.
True, but you're denying that tall forestation exists within the city of Houston. You said it was only on the outskirts.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I never said Dallas was barren. Take that up with Matt. What I said is that DFW was not as lush as I prefer an area to be.

True, but you're denying that tall forestation exists within the city of Houston. You said it was only on the outskirts.
Compared to where I come from, yes, North Texas is barren.

When compared to a city like Phoenix I'm sure most people would consider Dallas lush.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
You're calling this barren?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas