Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
Good point. Nobody chooses Houston over Dallas because of tree height. If they cared about that, they'd live in the California Redwood country.

A 40 foot tree has no advantage over a 30 foot tree. Unless you're from Houston and have a hangdog attitude about inferiority to Dallas. Then you need something to brag about.

Houston wouldn't be bragging about their trees if they had something better to be proud of.

Sigmund Freud would have a field day explaining Houston's size fixation... something about a repressed libido theory.
Classy. It is eating you all up inside to let Houston have this. We are tearing your spirit up.

Go ahead and cry, baby. Rest yo' head and tell mama all about it.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 PM

392 posts, read 633,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Negative. Houston has more trees - M-I-L-L-I-O-N-S more.
How many people who move to Texas need millions more?

Don't you realize how insignificant your boast is?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Classy. It is eating you all up inside to let Houston have this. We are tearing your spirit up.

Go ahead and cry, baby. Rest yo' head and tell mama all about it.
I mean it, Nairobi. If you want to pimp up Houston, find something that is a real asset to the city.

Talk about something the people of Houston did that's notable. Don't try to take credit for an act of God.

Do you people down there understand what is important and what is trivial?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Negative. Houston has more trees - M-I-L-L-I-O-N-S more.
uhh...go look at the tree coverage pictures again.....not M-I-L-L-I-O-N-S.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
This is what I mean, Houston may not have the elevation that a city with hills, but its taller trees give the city a height dimension that cities with short stubby trees dont have. They assist in establishing the mood of a city's lighting scheme. Thats one of the reasons I prefer more vegetated cities with taller trees to DFW. There are honestly times when Ive drove through parts of the Metroplex, away from the skyscrapers, and thought "lord this is depressing looking"...particularly in the winter. Not objectively ugly...just depressing to my eyes.
I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think that someone would have to grow up around tall trees or just simply love them to understand their appeal. It's hard for me to put into words.

Maybe it's just a "Dixie" thing; something that eastern Texans share with the southeast. If they think Houstonians are coocoo about our trees, then they'd hate Atlantans.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm sure there are exceptions, but I think that someone would have to grow up around tall trees or just simply love them to understand their appeal. It's hard for me to put into words.

Maybe it's just a "Dixie" thing; something that eastern Texans share with the southeast. If they think Houstonians are coocoo about our trees, then they'd hate Atlantans.
Much better said. I like it.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I mean it, Nairobi. If you want to pimp up Houston, find something that is a real asset to the city.

Talk about something the people of Houston did that's notable. Don't try to take credit for an act of God.

Do you people down there understand what is important and what is trivial?
"...whoever brags must brag about what the LORD has done" -- 1 Corinthians 1:31

What is important/trivial is completely relative. We're talking about trees, right now. You'll get your chance to brag about how superior Dallas' architecture is later.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 PM

563 posts, read 910,590 times
Quote:
Good point. Nobody chooses Houston over Dallas because of tree height. If they cared about that, they'd live in the California Redwood country.

A 40 foot tree has no advantage over a 30 foot tree. Unless you're from Houston and have a hangdog attitude about inferiority to Dallas. Then you need something to brag about.

Houston wouldn't be bragging about their trees if they had something better to be proud of.

Sigmund Freud would have a field day explaining Houston's size fixation... something about a repressed libido theory.
I think your height is a bit off. The largest species of tree in Houston is the Loblolly Pine which reaches 90-115 ft.

Texas Native Plants Database

Houston has plenty of other things to be proud about and we have plenty of time to get to that. This is an incremental battle, if you will, and will not move on until you guys admit you're wrong. We give credit where it is do but even in this situation where their couldn't be a more clear-cut winner you guys try to change the subject and act like it's the worst thing in the world to admit you are wrong.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,746 times
I know Houston receives more rain than Dallas, I'm curious to know which city's rain is wetter?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 PM

563 posts, read 910,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
uhh...go look at the tree coverage pictures again.....not M-I-L-L-I-O-N-S.
Uhh... go look through the posts again and see why a would make such a sensational claim. Hint: look for numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas