Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
I know Houston receives more rain than Dallas, I'm curious to know which city's rain is wetter?
Houston's

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 PM

392 posts, read 633,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Houston's

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
Looks like an unapologetic native son. Doesn't complain, doesn't explain.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 PM

563 posts, read 910,590 times
What I meant was the Loblolly Pine is the most common tree in the Houston area. I don't think what I originally said clarified this.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
Looks like an unapologetic native son. Doesn't complain, doesn't explain.
I'm from Colorado bro.

That might explain why the hills in DFW don't really impress me.

stoneclaw

Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
How many people who move to Texas need millions more?

Don't you realize how insignificant your boast is?
How is this insignificant?

That's like saying "I don't care how big or how many lakes are in an area because it's insignificant."

Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I'm from Colorado bro.

That might explain why the hills in DFW don't really impress me.

stoneclaw
When you've seen Denali, or better yet, the Himalayas, the hills of Colorado are pretty puny.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
How is this insignificant?

That's like saying "I don't care how big or how many lakes are in an area has because it's insignificant."
OK, I'll explain.

If I want to live in a forested area, there are plenty of DFW options to choose from. So I go live in Southlake or Arlington, or even places in the Cross Timbers. Or in some other heavily wooded area.

Then, does the existence of open grassland somewhere else bother me?

No.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
I think your height is a bit off. The largest species of tree in Houston is the Loblolly Pine which reaches 90-115 ft.

Texas Native Plants Database

Houston has plenty of other things to be proud about and we have plenty of time to get to that. This is an incremental battle, if you will, and will not move on until you guys admit you're wrong. We give credit where it is do but even in this situation where their couldn't be a more clear-cut winner you guys try to change the subject and act like it's the worst thing in the world to admit you are wrong.
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
OK, I'll explain.

If I want to live in a forested area, there are plenty of DFW options to choose from. So I go live in Southlake or Arlington, or even places in the Cross Timbers. Or in some other heavily wooded area.

Then, does the existence of open grassland somewhere else bother me?

No.
The thing is the actual number of trees would show a difference between two areas if one has never been to either. The actual number of trees gives an idea of how wooded an area is.

Dallas has its share of trees but I don't think anyone would consider it forested. Forested implies tall lushes trees and not Dallas' short variety. If you actually wanted to live in a forested area I believe you would have an extremely hard time finding it there.

Your last part is very subjective.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
The thing is the actual number of trees would show a difference between two areas if one has never been to either. The actual number of trees gives an idea of how wooded an area is.

Dallas has its share of trees but I don't think anyone would consider it forested. Forested implies tall lushes trees and not Dallas' short variety. If you actually wanted to live in a forested area I believe you would have an extremely hard time finding it there.

Your last part is very subjective.
DFW/North Texas has thousands of square miles of continuous tree cover, trees 20-30 feet high. That is a forest by anybody's definition. If I lived in such a forest, the existence of grassland a few miles away wouldn't bother me.

The Cross Timbers forest in particular is 200 miles by 40 miles. What's the problem with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas