Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 AM

298 posts, read 417,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
ok well let's try it this way....give me some solid examples of what DART should do first to accommodate what you see its lacking.
Ok,
1. Improve and add more park and ride bus transfer stations.
2. Make more bus routes that will take people where they want to go where light rail doesn't serve.
3. Improve connectivity to rail stations by making them have similar times. Personally, I have not dealt with this, but have heard people talking about it.
4. Fix the perception that transit by bus is slow and doesn't take you anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,459,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
in raw "nubers", Houston has over almost twice as many people in Dallas, so obviously we would have more poor people, even though we have 3% less people living under the poverty line. thats like saying there are more poor people in NYC than in OKC... obviously, but that doesnt mean NYC isnt the richer city.
im saying percentage wise, Dallas is the poorer city. dont let the glitz and glamour fool you...
Raw numbers is a more of an accurate way to look at the situation....50 people with muddy shoes would make a way bigger mess on the white carpet than just 10.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Raw numbers is a more of an accurate way to look at the situation....50 people with muddy shoes would make a way bigger mess on the white carpet than just 10.
But, it would look the same if those 50 people stepped on a 100 square ft carpet and the 10 people stepped on a 20 square feet carpet.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Ok,
1. Improve and add more park and ride bus transfer stations.
2. Make more bus routes that will take people where they want to go where light rail doesn't serve.
3. Improve connectivity to rail stations by making them have similar times. Personally, I have not dealt with this, but have heard people talking about it.
4. Fix the perception that transit by bus is slow and doesn't take you anyway.
#1. Thats not specific enough..Dart does transit studies to observe transit patterns to determine its bus routes..an area has to warrant this. You cant just plop a million of these in every neighborhood.
#2.Dart already does this...now im not sayin there's a bus route for every street in Dallas ..lol..but you can pretty much get anywhere in Dallas by bus or train or both
#3. Im unclear to what you mean on this one
#4.This is the preception of buses across the country even in cities like Houston. If you have no other options you HAVE to ride the bus hence the high ridership. No city gov. can change this.

DART is fine....

Old 07-27-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
#1. Thats not specific enough..Dart does transit studies to observe transit patterns to determine its bus routes..an area has to warrant this. You cant just plop a million of these in every neighborhood.
#2.Dart already does this...now im not sayin there's a bus route for every street in Dallas ..lol..but you can pretty much get anywhere in Dallas by bus or train or both
#3. Im unclear to what you mean on this one
#4.This is the preception of buses across the country even in cities like Houston. No city gov. can change this.

DART is fine....
At number 3, I meant fix the times on the bus routes connecting to rail stations. I've heard people saying they've waited 5-20 minutes waiting for their bus. Also, I never said dart wasn't fine, I said it can improve.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
But, it would look the same if those 50 people stepped on a 100 square ft carpet and the 10 people stepped on a 20 square feet carpet.
you right......

Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM

328 posts, read 471,980 times
Quote:
In raw nubers Houston by a mile.
You're correct. But I knew something was off with the other guy's poverty-level claims. "Over" 30%? "Only" 27%? They seemed to have been pulled from somewhere, with no back-up. Here's what I found, from a pretty good source, the U.S. Census Bureau. Last revised 6/27/13. These are city--not county or metro--numbers.

Dallas has 23.0% living in poverty. 1,241,162 X .23 = 285,467.
Dallas (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Houston has 21.5% living in poverty. 2,160,821 X .215 = 464,577.
Houston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

So Dallas has 1.5% more people living in poverty than Houston. Sounds negligible to me, within the margin of error. Houston has 179,110 more people in poverty than Dallas has, or roughly the population of Brownsville.

Aside: I checked my city, Garland (233,564), which has a reputation for being a modest-to-poor suburb, populated by many people of color and ethnic backgrounds (with LOTS of mom-and-pop ethnic restaurants-best pho in DFW), and found the poverty level to be 14.5% (33,867). Perceptions can be deceiving!

Last edited by casimpso; 07-27-2013 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,567,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
You're correct. But I knew something was off with the other guy's poverty-level claims. "Over" 30%? "Only" 27%? They seemed to have been pulled from somewhere, with no back-up. Here's what I found, from a pretty good source, the U.S. Census Bureau. Last revised 6/27/13. These are city--not county or metro--numbers.

Dallas has 23.0% living in poverty. 1,241,162 X .23 = 285,467.
Dallas (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Houston has 21.5% living in poverty. 2,160,821 X .215 = 464,577.
Houston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

So Dallas has 1.5% more people living in poverty than Houston. Sounds negligible to me, within the margin of error. Houston has 179,110 more people in poverty than Dallas has, or roughly the population of Brownsville.

Aside: I checked my city, Garland (233,564), which has a reputation for being a modest-to-poor suburb, populated by many people of color and ethnic backgrounds (with LOTS of mom-and-pop ethnic restaurants-best pho in DFW), and found the poverty level to be 14.5% (33,867). Perceptions can be deceiving!
Lol, my information was for 2009 so it may have changed but I assure you I didn't pull those numbers out of my a**. I got them straight from the poverty section of this very website. (Not the forum part of the site). Either way the data shows Dallas to be the poorer city so houston is definitely not "way poorer" as one poster claimed. Again, perceptions can be deceiving!

//www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...las-Texas.html
//www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...ton-Texas.html

Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 PM

DART is progressing.
DART officials preview zero-emissions

Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,657,499 times
Zero emission is a bit of a misnomer, since the electricity is generated somewhere. But it is really nice if you are stuck behind one .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas