Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:25 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
I have purposly stayed out of this thread because it disgusts me the way people so easily judge and lable others as "racist". Amazingly, the very ones who obnoxiously consider themselves as "enlightned" "tolerent" and "progressive" are the worst offenders.

Sterotyping is incredible wrong headed thinking. Racists come in EVERY COLOR, and every town or city has some. I know nothing about Hico, but Jasper (a totally mixed town) and Vidor are continually, unfairly bashed by even the national media.
I agree. I'm sick of the immediate, in-your-face cries of "racism" or "hate" or "homophobia" or fill in the blank whenever people are upset or something doesn't go their way. People are people and have conflicts. It just happens. And it doesn't necessarily have to do with skin color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or any of the other special interest, politically correct expectations that have set everyone on edge.

The original post is an excellent example. It was unintelligible. A lack of communication skills isn't dependent on race, ethnicity, yada-yada but it's one of the biggest causes of conflict. People don't take the time to communicate clearly and they don't listen. I would bet that this was the cause of whatever conflicts the OP was describing and it had nothing at all to do with race/ethnicity.

As far as certain towns being "racist," well, I've never lived in any of those listed and I can't comment. But to spread rumors that these places are hotbeds of racism without substantial proof, long-term experience and knowledge is wrong. Furthermore, as we (who are Caucasian) previously lived in a city that was 95 percent Hispanic, I found it rather interesting that the solid majority would STILL accuse each other of "racism" and "hate" on the basis of how dark or light their skin was, even though they belonged to the same ethnic group. Apparently, the widespread problem is a victim mentality and not real racism.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
I do apologize if I offended anyone. I have never been to any of the cities that I mentioned as being known as racist. I actually am referring to what I have read in these threads and heard in the media. Perhaps thinking that those places are racist is in itself a form of racism....

Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I do apologize if I offended anyone. I have never been to any of the cities that I mentioned as being known as racist. I actually am referring to what I have read in these threads and heard in the media. Perhaps thinking that those places are racist is in itself a form of racism....

James, I didn't aim that specifically at you. I just pulled it as an example. No offense meant.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie ramirez View Post
Racism is a horrible way to act or to allow. A complete city like Tool Texas Post on their web sight 95% white - non hispanic and list the population of hispanic at 2%. My husband ( whose hispanic ) has been stop by the police to check him out and was told not to go to the neighbors homes at 8:00 p.m. My husband was passing out his card to our neighbors who had trees that blew down in the storm. 2nd came when one of the POA members told my husband that he could fish off a dock of an abandon home which was 3 houses down from the members home. While my husband was there another neighbor who lives directly next door , children was running in and out of the abandon home along with this the neighbor beside the abandon home had their family members go over to the dock where my husband was fishing and fish there as well. Later when my husband family went down to fish from the same dock the police was called out on them and so was the game warden.Of course if they were breaking the law then maybe the police should be called but to allow Racism to florish and not put a stop to it can lead to our safety to be the issue as we soon found out. When a man came up to our property whaling a pole with a chain attach to it. We went to report the incident and wanted an officer to assist us instead the officer took off and my husband seen the man 30 minutes later and tried to get his name . Instead he would not and my huisband told him to stay away from his home than the man 1 hour later filed a dog at large on my husband and the man was allowed to do that but we were not. I see major issues here and they have nothing to do with us breaking the law
Having laws and ordinences enforced really is not racism. It's more racist to expect that because you are "hispanic" -- which is not really a race that you have a right to do as you please and simply ignore the laws.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie ramirez View Post
No ! We live in the neighborhood, and my husband was NOT passing out business cards for employment ( these were to our neighbor's homes as well ) a storm blew trees over onto their yards and homes he was only offering his help! Sorry to have miss lead you in any way but, all the neighbors fished off the dock and the neighborhood children were running in and out of the abandon home, but the only person that had to bare I.D. was my husband - Hispanic { ? } while everyone else who were "white" and "fishing" on the "dock" as well, but no one else was approached.... what really stinks, is that the neighbors invited him to join them ..this is more of a one sided discussion if you imply other wise
Maybe you should move to Los Angeles where the racism works the other way. Where people who look American are discriminated against.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:54 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
A friend of ours who is from Philly and goes there quite often said it's one of the most rascist places you can find. And it's not only regarding black or hispanic, for example what they call cheetos there.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:59 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Okay, this is pretty much way off the original topic and is not Texas related anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas