Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:58 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times

Advertisements

It's not as if I had planned on watching this, and, apparently, I didn't miss anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:30 PM

288 posts, read 434,018 times
No real mention of East Texas. Ive never been or seen West Texas.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:35 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
Ah, well. If the California episode was dumb and the Texas episode was dumb, too ... will all the other episodes about the "in between" states be the same way? Is it possible they would defy expectations and make really good ones on Kansas and Missouri?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
No real mention of East Texas. Ive never been or seen West Texas.
The only mention I saw of East Texas was Kilgore - not exactly the jewel of East Texas. And they went on and on about Kilgore and showed numerous shots of all the oil derricks downtown - failing to mention that this is just one historical section of downtown and that the derricks are, of course, non operational.

No Tyler, that beautiful small city filled with brick streets and azaleas and roses? No Marshall, with it's huge, stately historic homes? No Jefferson, no Nacodogches? No Canton Trades Days? No hauntingly beautiful Caddo Lake? C'mon, man!

Old 03-07-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The only mention I saw of East Texas was Kilgore - not exactly the jewel of East Texas. And they went on and on about Kilgore and showed numerous shots of all the oil derricks downtown - failing to mention that this is just one historical section of downtown and that the derricks are, of course, non operational.

No Tyler, that beautiful small city filled with brick streets and azaleas and roses? No Marshall, with it's huge, stately historic homes? No Jefferson, no Nacodogches? No Canton Trades Days? No hauntingly beautiful Caddo Lake? C'mon, man!
Yeah, it sounds like they need to do a part 2 or something.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
They covered Spindletop/Beaumont. Isn't that definitely East Texas??

It is to me!

Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
I think this "aerial" series does a good job of covering the segments in the one hour that is allotted. Obviously, there will always be those who are dissatisfied. I mentioned the oversight of panhandle cities and towns. A more glaring oversight, IMO, was the lack of coverage of:

Guadalupe Mountains National Park is in the Guadalupe Mountains of West Texas and contains Guadalupe Peak, the highest point in Texas at 8,749 feet (2,666.7 m) in elevation.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
They covered Spindletop/Beaumont. Isn't that definitely East Texas??

It is to me!
It is, but, as others have said, it seems that they didn't seem to focus on anything except the oil and gas industry, as if that's all we're about.

I still can't believe there wasn't even a mention of Caddo Lake.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:56 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
From watching the California episode, it struck me that their strategy was to focus on a few places, rather than try to sample them all. However, their choices of which ones to cover seemed odd and they wound up spending a lot of time on some places, while ignoring (in my opinion) other more-interesting ones. In the CA episode, their segment on the Hearst Castle seemed to go on forever -- after awhile the shots of flying back and forth over it seemed like an endless loop.

BTW, the entire state of CA was basically represented by flying along Hwy 101 from Big Sur to SF. No Yosemite, no Death Valley, no LA, no San Diego. Of course, everyone knows about those places, without having them included in the show. That's not true for the places they omitted from the Texas episode, which makes it a shame, I think. Plus, it did nothing to make people outside Texas question their simple, 2-dimensional stereotypes of our state. I still haven't seen the TX show, but peoples' comments here suggest that it just reinforced those stereotypes.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:23 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
From watching the California episode, it struck me that their strategy was to focus on a few places, rather than try to sample them all. However, their choices of which ones to cover seemed odd and they wound up spending a lot of time on some places, while ignoring (in my opinion) other more-interesting ones. In the CA episode, their segment on the Hearst Castle seemed to go on forever -- after awhile the shots of flying back and forth over it seemed like an endless loop.

BTW, the entire state of CA was basically represented by flying along Hwy 101 from Big Sur to SF. No Yosemite, no Death Valley, no LA, no San Diego. Of course, everyone knows about those places, without having them included in the show. That's not true for the places they omitted from the Texas episode, which makes it a shame, I think. Plus, it did nothing to make people outside Texas question their simple, 2-dimensional stereotypes of our state. I still haven't seen the TX show, but peoples' comments here suggest that it just reinforced those stereotypes.
Did they touch on any disasters that happened in California like earthquakes , mass murders or assassinations? I ask this because they did touch on all those in the Texas episode , the 1900 Galveston Hurricane , The Austin Tower sniper and of course the JFK murder, I am interested in what you say. I was thinking about watching the California episode to find out just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas