Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times

Advertisements

hmmm. i reckon it's the "crowd" ya hang out with or something cuz i used to work in Wichita Falls and live in the area. went to all the ranch rodeos there etc. spent alot of time in the immediate surrounding areas-Henrietta, Electra, Archer City, Windthorst etc...LOTS OF REDNECK TYPES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Here in Wichita Falls, the only time I see any redneck types on TV is on the Farm and Ranch Reports, before the early morning news shows. Sometimes, its funny to turn those shows on and listen to their extreme southern twang and jargon!

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
So sorry txsIzzler!! Don't know what came over me??!! LOL

I remember Joe's column in the paper as well. Can't believe he is still going strong. He has to be in his 80s at least.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
No, it's not just you, I feel exactly the same way. My old boss grew up in Bosque county and he was constantly calling himself a redneck. It didn't bother me what he called himself until he'd call me a redneck! I told him I was NOT a redneck. His response? Sure you are, you grew up in the country too, just like me. Trying to explain to him the difference between growing up and living in the country and being a redneck was totally impossible. That's because he really was a 'redneck'.

Calling sombody a cowboy or cowgirl because of their dress is just as deceiving. The honkeyhonks are full of people dressed to the hilt in cowboy garb and the closest some of them have ever come to a cow is when they eating a steak or hamburger or drinking a glass of milk. We go over to the Fat Stock Show in Fort Worth and almost everyone is dressed in western gear. Now there's a lot of cowboys and cowgirls over there, that's for sure, but there's also a bunch of drugstore cowboys and cowgirls. I use to dress up in western wear, but now I usually just mosey on over in a teeshirt, jeans and tennis shoes. I have horses and cattle and tend to them on a daily basis. I've broke and trained horses, been throwed more times than I care to recall. I've had cows sling sh*t on me, blood spurted all over me, been stepped on, charged at, been mired down in crap around a hay ring when the temperature was in the twenties, wind howling and feeling like a frozen icicle. Yet, my daughter and I will be back at the stock show this year walking amongst the cowboys and cowgirls. You'll be able to pick us out, we'll be wearing teeshirts and tennis shoes.
LOL!!! Great post, Lonestar...! The Fat Stock Show is really a big deal every year, too. It's been a really looong time since I've been, though.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:42 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Default Introduction!!!

Hi ! My name is Bob ... and I'm a redneck!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Bob Joe, Billy Bob, or Bob Tom fits better.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 AM

20 posts, read 81,259 times
Cowboy is fine. Redneck is not. Redneck connotates someone who is usually willfully ignorant. For example, I used to live in a neighborhood that had rednecks. They never took care of their home or yard, while everyone else around them did. They smoked in the car when the kids were inside, they threw their butts on their own lawn. Willfully ignorant. They knew better, but didn't care. Laundry piled up everywhere, kids outside with no shoes, despite the dangers. Willfully ignorant. Lived paycheck to paycheck because they never saved money. They spent it all on parties and cigarettes. Willfully ignorant.

Cowboy connotates someone who likes the western lifestyle and may or may not live it ranching, farming, truck driving, etc.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskape View Post
Cowboy is fine. Redneck is not. Redneck connotates someone who is usually willfully ignorant. For example, I used to live in a neighborhood that had rednecks. They never took care of their home or yard, while everyone else around them did. They smoked in the car when the kids were inside, they threw their butts on their own lawn. Willfully ignorant. They knew better, but didn't care. Laundry piled up everywhere, kids outside with no shoes, despite the dangers. Willfully ignorant. Lived paycheck to paycheck because they never saved money. They spent it all on parties and cigarettes. Willfully ignorant.

Cowboy connotates someone who likes the western lifestyle and may or may not live it ranching, farming, truck driving, etc.
"Willfully ignorant" fits others besides what people refer to as rednecks. I have willfully ignorant living near me. Actually, a redneck's true definition is not really any of the above mentioned, uneducated, yes, willfully ignorant, no.

A redneck is an uneducated white farm laborer, especially from the South and a bigot or reactionary, especially from the rural working class.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
"Willfully ignorant" fits others besides what people refer to as rednecks. I have willfully ignorant living near me. Actually, a redneck's true definition is not really any of the above mentioned, uneducated, yes, willfully ignorant, no.

A redneck is an uneducated white farm laborer, especially from the South and a bigot or reactionary, especially from the rural working class.
Y'all are wrong ... might this "willfully ignorant" (read my posts and see if this description fits) person do some edjumacating????

"Redneck" is a term originally given the white field rider (overseer) in the plantation fields during the slavery period in the South. Another slang term used in derogoratory fashion by some (mostly blacks) when referring to whites is "Kracker"! This also described the field rider as he would carry a whip and "crack" it to communicate! The "redneck" comes from being in the sun all day and thus the neck would bear the brunt od the sun!

Of course the term has evolved thru time to different interpretations which some have alluded to here. To me it just plain means country folk ... which I am! And I'll match wit and intelligence with any who thinks it means "Ignorant"!!!!!!

I am not a bigot although I can be quite reactionary!!!!

There ... I've had my say on that!

Hi ! My name is Bob ... and ... I'm a REDNECK !!!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Y'all are wrong ... might this "willfully ignorant" (read my posts and see if this description fits) person do some edjumacating????

"Redneck" is a term originally given the white field rider (overseer) in the plantation fields during the slavery period in the South. Another slang term used in derogoratory fashion by some (mostly blacks) when referring to whites is "Kracker"! This also described the field rider as he would carry a whip and "crack" it to communicate! The "redneck" comes from being in the sun all day and thus the neck would bear the brunt od the sun!

Of course the term has evolved thru time to different interpretations which some have alluded to here. To me it just plain means country folk ... which I am! And I'll match wit and intelligence with any who thinks it means "Ignorant"!!!!!!

I am not a bigot although I can be quite reactionary!!!!

There ... I've had my say on that!

Hi ! My name is Bob ... and ... I'm a REDNECK !!!!!
I did not say ignorant, I said uneducated as is stated in the dictionary. I was quoting eskape's post that mentioned rednecks being willfully ignorant and basically trashy of which I stated that description fits many, not just rednecks per se. Of course, the red necks from the sun is true. Actually, I kind of like the description for rednecks as country folk better than the true meaning anyway.

Did you mean adjudicating as I don't believe edjumacating is a word?

I did not know this ......... Whip cracking and "crackers" had to do with Florida cattle herders herding wild Spanish cattle and slave foremen who cracked whips to discipline the slaves. Also, "cracker" has historically been used to refer to those engaged in the low paying job of cracking pecans and other nuts in Georgia and throughout the southeast U.S.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:17 PM

[quote=Canine*Castle;2426107]

Did you mean adjudicating as I don't believe edjumacating is a word?

IQUOTE]

edjumacating = educating .. just a sarcastic play on words in relation to the "ignorant" comment concerning rednecks!

I like the "country" definition much better too!!

Also much of my response was directed at hopefully Eskape ... and others too but not necessarily you. Being a native East Texan I thought I might bring a bit of that perspective into the mix!

Wanna try "RayBob" ... I like it better than Billy Bob??? (I actually use that handle on some other boards )!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas