Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:23 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times

Advertisements

Hey, thanks guys, this is what we Texas girls like to hear. I might add Texas has got the finest looking guys around too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 05:55 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I agree Californians are wrong about the trees in Texas, at least in some parts of Texas, but I must say Southern California has some beautiful and large trees. Walnut, Lemon, Orange, Chinese Elm, Sycamore, many different Oaks, Maple, Aspen, Ash, Coniferous of all kinds, and many more. The arid climate of which you speak does not keep California from having beautifully large trees. Tress are very prominent in the developed areas.

Yes, Southern California does have several National Forests. Do a google search. It truly is a pretty place, but I'm not talking about the Mojave Desert or Palm Springs.

Texas can be very brown during the long heat waves and of course, California can be too since it doesn't get the rain Texas gets. Even though we get rain in Texas, it still stays very brown for months because the rain can't compete with the heat.

Yes southern Cali does have these trees but they are restricted to the most western edge of the state right by the coast. I went to Cali 4 times and don't get me wrong LA and SD are cool cities but most of Southern Cali is desert ranging from riverside to Arizona. you see a couple of trees by the small towns on the highway but they were irrigated there .
I think he meant desert brown with sand and mountains not dead grass brown.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
Yes southern Cali does have these trees but they are restricted to the most western edge of the state right by the coast. I went to Cali 4 times and don't get me wrong LA and SD are cool cities but most of Southern Cali is desert ranging from riverside to Arizona. you see a couple of trees by the small towns on the highway but they were irrigated there .
I think he meant desert brown with sand and mountains not dead grass brown.
I lived in the San Fernando Valley for 30 years and a can assure you one doesn't need to go to the coast to find large trees. In fact and to my recollection, many more are found in the valley. Again, the developed areas are full of trees. In my yard growing up as a child, we had beautiful and huge Chinese Elm trees, a gorgeous and huge Black Walnut Tree, a wonderful lemon and orange tree although they were of medium size, and other trees as well. The residential streets in the Southern California I know were very shaded with trees. The were so shaded that not much sunlight could get through.

Unless one has lived there, one doesn't really know. Yes, part of southern California is desert just like most of Texas is what I would refer to has desert as well.

I just don't get the comparison of the two states because there isn't any. Oh well, saying anything nice about California on the Texas forum is usually a losing battle to some. At least you were kind enough to mention two of the cities as "cool."

Riverside to AZ is like the trip from Fort Stockton to Central Texas, ugly. So that's at least one likeness of TX and CA.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:30 PM

21 posts, read 191,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
I hate it when you see a T.V show and they put a person from Texas as a cowboy or redneck. I lived in Texas most my life and no one I know is like that.

Well that tells me you aint never been to Texas or your a city boy, if you lived in Dallas or Houston you never got to see Texas anyway.. Not the real Texas anyway cause Dallas, Houston, San Antone, their all just big citys, no differant than New York City. I wouldn't say I'm a redneck, but I am 100% cowboy.. I make my living on a Texas Horse ranch, and one of my dearest friends is a Horse named Sally, and the closest town to where I bed down at is Holliday.

Here is a picture of our downtown skyline.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u315/christian_warrior777/us277atfm368n.jpg (broken link)

GOD BLESS YA, & KEEP YA SAFE..

Old 01-26-2008, 11:32 PM

67 posts, read 256,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTIAN_COWBOY24 View Post
Well that tells me you aint never been to Texas or your a city boy, if you lived in Dallas or Houston you never got to see Texas anyway.. Not the real Texas anyway cause Dallas, Houston, San Antone, their all just big citys, no differant than New York City. I wouldn't say I'm a redneck, but I am 100% cowboy.. I make my living on a Texas Horse ranch, and one of my dearest friends is a Horse named Sally, and the closest town to where I bed down at is Holliday.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u315/christian_warrior777/us277atfm368n.jpg (broken link)

pretty picture..we used to live in San Angelo

Old 01-26-2008, 11:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Is the post office inside the Dairy Queen?

Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 46,945 times
I did a study abroad program in London, and it's just as bad there - the preconceptions.

I'd go into a store and the clerk would ask where I was from, and I'd say "Texas" to which they would reply, "Bush"

Um...okay. I wanted to tell them, "So, you're Indian, right? That's like me replying with 'Ganges River', 'Extreme Poverty', etc." Totally irrelevant. The reply is "AND?"

Old 01-27-2008, 01:15 PM

21 posts, read 191,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Is the post office inside the Dairy Queen?

Nope.. it's on down the road, the only thing in the DQ is what you might find in any other DQ in Texas, good food.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:12 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTIAN_COWBOY24 View Post

Just curious, were you born and bred in Texas?

Old 01-28-2008, 02:33 PM

397 posts, read 1,026,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You are very welcome, and I don't even mind if you might counter-jab at me in turn! Hell, Gretchen...I don't mind being called a "redneck Southern boy" LOL

But back to as regards Texas? It is not an easy place to live if one expects a place free of people still capable of making moral value judgements and living by standards tried and true by our fathers, mothers, and history.

Hi:

Thanks for your detailed post - I was in Australia for about 2 weeks and so did not have too much time to respond.

I have a feeling, perhaps I'm wrong, but maybe not, that we are once again not too far from agreeing with each other. But let's see.

You mentioned that the burden to accomodate should not have to fall on you. I agree with the thrust of your argument and once again we have to deal with semantics, i.e. what does it mean to accomodate. Since our Constitution allows free speech (within limits), I think both "sides" have to put up with some speech/demonstrations etc. they don't like e.g. I don't really like Pat Robertson/Fred Phelps etc., but I guess they have the right to say what they like (within limits -private funerals may be another matter, but I won't digress to that). Similarly, you may not like a gay parade in e.g. Dallas, but within limits, they can do it if they want. You referenced the media - I don't think that qualifies as thrusting down the throat. There is conservative media and liberal media etc. - just choose what you read.

However, apart from these extremes and constitutionally protected areas of speech (such as demonstrations, speeches, the media etc. which are more "distant" if you like), I think our discussion is best centred around the everyday life occurrences, which was really what I was referring to - the interpersonal contacts people have on a daily basis. As a non-Christian, I only ask to not be preached to constantly, to not be told that I am going to hell constantly etc. By tolerance, I simply mean, leave us alone. You don't have to agree or endorse - just let us be. Similarly, my gay/lesbian friends would say, just let us sleep with whom we want to - you don't have to agree or endorse - just let them be. Don't stare at them, exclude them etc. Just, if you like, ignore that aspect of their lives, and treat them like you would anyone else.

Similarly, I believe you, or any Christian, is entitled to the same respect. I do not agree with your beliefs and I do not endorse them. However, I will not confront you with them (other than if we choose to have a discussion about it, e.g. like here on a discussion forum) or try to change you. If I were your friend/co-worker etc., that aspect of your life would be irrelevant, and I would treat you the same way I treat a Jewish or athiest friend.

That is what I mean by tolerance. And that is the kind of tolerance I find missing in many parts of TX. Of course, there is a place for debate/argument etc. You and I are having one here right now on this forum, but it is a place for debate, mutually agreed on (right? ). E.g. I am more than happy to talk with Christians or Muslims or Wiccans etc. about religion on some occasions when we agree to have a constructive discussion/debate. But I do not like to go to business meetings, to the bank, to the stores, to a party etc. to be converted and then told all sorts of things about my beliefs and future in the afterlife because I am not willing to "believe." And that is what has happened on numerous occasions in TX. I am well aware that there are liberals and non-Christians out there doing the same thing - and I can assure you, I am equally intolerant of them. You, as a Christian, should not have to have agnostic/atheist beliefs thrust down your throat either! If you don't engage a debate, you TOO should be left alone.

My disenchantment with some of the attitudes have nothing to do with insecurity in my beliefs - my beliefs are very well thought-through (just like yours are, although we came to different conclusions).

To conclude (because I really should ), I have no problem with your quoted passage above: Texans are perfectly entitled to make moral value judgments and to live by those standards. Everyone does that - even heathen Californians like I do that!

However, the key in tolerance for me is, to make your own moral value judgments, live by them, AND to let others make their own moral value judgments and live by THEIR standards, as long as it falls within the parameters of law. In my mind, this goes for everyone - Christians, athiests, Hindus etc.

OK - done! Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas