Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 08:11 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpenny View Post
That's a happy thought, but not realistic. It seems like ppl are coming here from all places, and it doesn't seem like it will stop anytime soon.
Well I guess people are discovering it's not the backwards ugly racist state that the media likes to portray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 08:18 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Pretty sure I never said intolerance was unique to Texas, but facts are facts, and less than twenty years ago, a Black man was dragged to his death in this state, not another one. Save that "this happens everywhere" junk for someone blind enough to fall for it. I'm speaking as a native of Texas; not some disgruntled transplant.

Radio, you'll be happy to know that I think of Houston and Dallas as exceptions to the rule, but even most Texans in this forum are rather vocal about their lack of fondness for those two cities and I think that says something.
Houston especially is an exception to the rule. My kids are friends with people of all races and nationalities. There are whites, blacks, Hispanics, East Asians, Indian Asians, Pakistanis, Nigerians, Somalians, etc. It's like a little United Nations there.

And the thing is, everybody gets along. Gay people are tolerated. It's not like people think. Houston is not like many other cities.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:29 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Pretty sure I never said intolerance was unique to Texas, but facts are facts, and less than twenty years ago, a Black man was dragged to his death in this state, not another one. Save that "this happens everywhere" junk for someone blind enough to fall for it. I'm speaking as a native of Texas; not some disgruntled transplant.

Radio, you'll be happy to know that I think of Houston and Dallas as exceptions to the rule, but even most Texans in this forum are rather vocal about their lack of fondness for those two cities and I think that says something.
I'm a black man who was born and raised in East Texas(North east Texas) to be exact and I have been to many places in the United States. Texas isn't any more racist then any other state I've been to. So if anybody has room to talk racism(one who has been a victim of racism more then I care to remember ) it's definitely a black man with dreads who happens to get profiled on several different occasions.

You do realize that there's been acts of violence and even death by white racist groups targeting blacks that haven't got national press the same as the incident in Jasper. It happens more then people realize. I also find it funny that people think Houston and Dallas are exceptions to the rule when that's far from the truth. I think the gentrification "epidemic" going on in those cities with people rushing to push blacks in both cities further out the city is proof enough that racism still exist in those cities on some level. I won't even go into detail on my personal experiences in either city that were no different in any other part of the state. Bottom line America is a racist state, I don't care where you go. It's no utopia of racial equality that I've encountered. Some areas might show a different form of racism but to a black person or any person of color who experiences racism at any level we don't have time to compare subtle racism to outright in your face racism.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:55 PM

430 posts, read 291,141 times
They hate us, cause they ain't us!

Old 05-28-2016, 08:58 PM

430 posts, read 291,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'm a black man who was born and raised in East Texas(North east Texas) to be exact and I have been to many places in the United States. Texas isn't any more racist then any other state I've been to. So if anybody has room to talk racism(one who has been a victim of racism more then I care to remember ) it's definitely a black man with dreads who happens to get profiled on several different occasions.

You do realize that there's been acts of violence and even death by white racist groups targeting blacks that haven't got national press the same as the incident in Jasper. It happens more then people realize. I also find it funny that people think Houston and Dallas are exceptions to the rule when that's far from the truth. I think the gentrification "epidemic" going on in those cities with people rushing to push blacks in both cities further out the city is proof enough that racism still exist in those cities on some level. I won't even go into detail on my personal experiences in either city that were no different in any other part of the state. Bottom line America is a racist state, I don't care where you go. It's no utopia of racial equality that I've encountered. Some areas might show a different form of racism but to a black person or any person of color who experiences racism at any level we don't have time to compare subtle racism to outright in your face racism.
Racism is in every country, not just here in America. Its the bi product of stereotypes (most of which is true in many cases) and uneducation of other races around us. But I do agree, Texas is not all that racist. This is coming from a person who lived in S.FL and NY/NJ, where there is plenty of people from different cultures. The areas I lived in before TX was pretty segregated, and I have seen more Black men dating white women over here in TX than I have seen in other State I lived in. The media is freaking distorted, and loves to label people.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:21 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
Racism is in every country, not just here in America. Its the bi product of stereotypes (most of which is true in many cases) and uneducation of other races around us. But I do agree, Texas is not all that racist. This is coming from a person who lived in S.FL and NY/NJ, where there is plenty of people from different cultures. The areas I lived in before TX was pretty segregated, and I have seen more Black men dating white women over here in TX than I have seen in other State I lived in. The media is freaking distorted, and loves to label people.
Oh yeah i'm not denying the existence of racism in other countries, I was just speaking on America. But TX is one of the states with the biggest interracial demographics in the nation. And that's not to say that equates to a lack of racism because that's farthest from the truth but for some people thinking Texas is some hotbed for racism that's above everybody else is a very flawed and broad statement to make. I moved here in Atlanta and let me tell you some of these counties and towns outside of Atlanta are not the warmest areas when it comes to people of color. Oh it get's REAL.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:41 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

Well, I am also a Black man from eastern Texas who has done more than my fair share of traveling, which includes living where you are now, and I'm comfortable trusting my own experiences. I never said Texas was the most racist state. I said it earned the reputation it has.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:33 PM

384 posts, read 981,191 times
For me, I've always been turned off by the bragging nature of Texas. When I moved here, I was shocked to hear that there is an actual "Texas Pledge" that is almost identical to the National pledge of allegiance, and it gets said every day at school. It's just silly. And the Texas flag is on everything. In California, and most states, residents have only a vague idea of what their flag looks like, and most don't have state pledges. I mean what will my kids do if Texas declares independence and they've been pledging allegiance to TX AND to the U.S.?
I like living Texas quite a bit now, but I never like bragging or arrogance and wish TX would be a little more humble.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:40 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janineg View Post
For me, I've always been turned off by the bragging nature of Texas. When I moved here, I was shocked to hear that there is an actual "Texas Pledge" that is almost identical to the National pledge of allegiance, and it gets said every day at school. It's just silly. And the Texas flag is on everything. In California, and most states, residents have only a vague idea of what their flag looks like, and most don't have state pledges. I mean what will my kids do if Texas declares independence and they've been pledging allegiance to TX AND to the U.S.?
I like living Texas quite a bit now, but I never like bragging or arrogance and wish TX would be a little more humble.
Well here we have an outsiders perspective. That's good. Janineg, so it's the bragging that turns you off? The pride actually comes off arrogance?

Now in your eyes is the pride seen to you as not merited or is it just the bragging itself that turns you off?

Old 05-30-2016, 08:34 AM

384 posts, read 981,191 times
I think a lot of it is merited. My kids are learning TX history in school and it is MUCH more interesting than CA history. I get annoyed about NYC and their arrogant claim that they're the center of the world, too.
Living in TX it's nice that there's such a cohesive feeling. It feels like the American pride that the rest of the country enjoys, except that it's a TX pride. And I'll bet outsiders to the U.S. are equally annoyed with American pride and arrogance. Just ask Canada. And look at how thw world sees our two countries: Canada is seen as humble and likable and USA is seen as arrogant and aggressive. Not that TX is aggressive, but outsiders never like seeing so much bragging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas