Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2018, 02:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
It's okay. We'll go with that. Thanks for caring (again).
Oh, I think the pleasure is all mine! Merry Christmas by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 03:19 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, I think the pleasure is all mine! Merry Christmas by the way.

Oh, I have no doubt it is. Merry Christmas to you, too.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:53 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
It is because of where it lies geographically. Most times it is part of the West rather than the south. I like it because the west seems more educated and less racist than the south. However Texas does have its racist past and present and so that seems very south.

It is just a fact it is considered more West. I have seen it that way in books of all kinds that have been written going back 200 years.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
My bad - Texas was part of the confederacy even if their famous governor was not.
Its fine dont worry about it.It was a honest mistake.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:52 PM

5 posts, read 3,134 times
As a Texan who's mom's side of the family is from Louisiana and Arkansas I feel like Texas is absolutely southern my dads side of the family is from east and east central Texas and they are southern to the core I was raised about 45 mins from Dallas and had a very southern upbringing and everybody I grew up around undoubtedly considered themselves southern some of my best friends flew the Confederate flag from the back of their trucks for crying out loud. And To tell you the truth there's not that big of a cultural difference between northern Louisiana and the eastern half of Texas and there's not a big difference between southeast Texas and southwestern Louisiana except for the fact that we have more Mexicans and that's about it. But ask any northerner who's the most gun loving football watching bbq eating sweet tea drinking state and I guarantee you they'll say Texas. We have way more in common with the south than any other region with some unique qualities aprinkeld on top. Now west Texas (west of I 35) I can see why people may not consider it southern eventhough it feels southern to me. But its nothing like new Mexico or Arizona it's to southern to be considered the west but too western to be considered southern west Texas is where the stereotypical Texas begins.

Old 11-27-2021, 08:42 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
I'm still aroun; I just don't come into the forum as much as I used to. No one ran me off or is capable of doing so when I decide to pop i.. which I will as time permits

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-27-2021 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: to correct a typo

Old 11-27-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
To the rest of the non-Southern country, TX seems Southern. Possibly to West Texans, where they live feels more western than southern.

Texas certainly aligns itself with other Southern states idelogically, historically, and politically.
Very true, as rgional self-identification polls also indicate a majority of Texans consider themselves to live in the South and consider themselves to be Southerners as opposed to West and Westerners, as well. But really, it is both at the same time. When it comes to Texas, being one doesn't exclude it from also being the other at the time.

Personally, I think of Texas as being essentially a Southern state (historically, culturally, politically, religiously, socially,etc) but flavored with definite traits of the frontier post-bellum West).

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-27-2021 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: add another thought

Old 11-27-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I haven't heard from Texas Reb in a long time, anyone know of his whereabouts? He was a native Texan who put forth the best arguments on the Southerness of Texas than anyone I have met here. Obviously this topic has been debated more than once on this site. TexasReb, where are you?
I'm still alive and kicling KA. I just don't have the time to get on here as much as I used to. Thanks for asking about me and I'll still pop in as time permits. And yes, I still firmly believe Texas is essentially a Southern state flavored with traits of the post-bellum frontier West. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. IE Earlier in this thread I saw a few posters had some issues with my argruments and sources/citations. Well, if they are reading this, then they are welcome to step up to the plate and voice thier ihe issues they have with any of the afore mentioned items. See you later, Kathy((((HUGSSS))))))

Truth to be known however, I kinda started to try an avoid those old Texas/South debates.
it was getting old and everyone knew where I stood and why. Anyway, in the end, nobody's mind was really ever changed as it all boiled down to opinion and personal experience. Mine just happened to have a deidedly Southern orientatiion. Trth is that Texas is both a Southern and a Western state. Being one doesn't negate also being the other at the same time.

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-27-2021 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-27-2021, 12:11 PM

511 posts, read 400,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I'm still alive and kicling KA. I just don't have the time to get on here as much as I used to. Thanks for asking about me and I'll still pop in as time permits. And yes, I still firmly believe Texas is essentially a Southern state flavored with traits of the post-bellum frontier West. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. IE Earlier in this thread I saw a few posters had some issues with my argruments and sources/citations. Well, if they are reading this, then they are welcome to step up to the plate and voice thier ihe issues they have with any of the afore mentioned items. See you later, Kathy((((HUGSSS))))))

Truth to be known however, I kinda started to try an avoid those old Texas/South debates.
it was getting old and everyone knew where I stood and why. Anyway, in the end, nobody's mind was really ever changed as it all boiled down to opinion and personal experience. Mine just happened to have a deidedly Southern orientatiion. Trth is that Texas is both a Southern and a Western state. Being one doesn't negate also being the other at the same time.
That's exactly how I feel about Texas though some parts of Texas are in the Great Plains (Amarillo) and the desert West (El Paso). Most of eastern half of the state is Southern with other regional traits except the Deep East TX, which is essentially the Texas version of Deep South.

Also, I forgot the Rio Grande Valley area, which is its own thing.

Old 11-27-2021, 12:44 PM

Thanks Kathyryn, but nobody here ran me off nor is capable of doing so. I just took a little vacation from the forum in order to rest and heal up. My opinion remains what it has always been: That Texas is essentially a Southern state sprinkled with traits of the post-bellum frontier West. It is both a Southern and Western state. Being one doesn't exclude it from being the other at the same time.

And to be honest, KA, I got a little tired of the subject. In the end, it is all a matter of personal opinion, experience, and observation, anyway; I don't think anyone's mind was ever much changed,nor really opened up enough to be changed

I notice in reading some other poster's comments, a couple appear to have some issues with my position/facts/citations/. Well, if they are reading this, then to them I say step right on up to the plate and just voice your objections to any of the afore mentioned items.

Again, thanks for your kind words and I'll be popping in from time to time ((((HUGGZZ)))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas