Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 06:30 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
wopopie you went to a game so what - you did not live there you did not have to walk around at night during the week

and most games were day games - you did not live there or work there so you dont know crap about that area - i have for 30 years

its a hell hole and we all know it just like south central, parts of santa ana, east la, pacomia - i can go on and on
I lived in the LA area for 24 out of my 35 years. I’ve walked around in East LA many times at night and driven around Watts, Compton, Inglewood, etc. many times at all hours of the day. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, LA was a virtual war zone but now it’s one of the safest cities in the US. You can scoff at that or you can be educated but you can’t do both.

So yeah, you’re still full of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:01 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,269,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I lived in the LA area for 24 out of my 35 years. I’ve walked around in East LA many times at night and driven around Watts, Compton, Inglewood, etc. many times at all hours of the day. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, LA was a virtual war zone but now it’s one of the safest cities in the US. You can scoff at that or you can be educated but you can’t do both.

So yeah, you’re still full of it.
I would like to add: in the 80s, 90s and early 00s Dallas and Houston were much, much more dangerous than they are today. The Crime rate has dropped across the board, but I believe that both Dallas and Houston still have higher crime rates than LA.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:04 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Quite frankly, the whole Texas vs California rivalry is entirely one sided. People in California do not care.

Sure, some people in California believe dumb stereotypes, but I've met plenty of Texans who also believe dumb stereotypes as well. Right now, I see people in Texas reinforcing these dumb stereotypes about Texas and it makes me cringe.
As a native Californian who has lived in Texas for 15 years, I can assure you I’ve heard plenty of dumb statements going both ways. This thread is just as dumb.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,106,499 times
Well, if any Californians don't like Texas, then they are welcome to stay in or go back to their precious "Golden State." Too many Californians moving to Texas too fast has already ruined too much of Texas as it is.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:47 AM

Whataburger >>>>>>> In-N-Out

Old 11-20-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
i can tell you this expat Californian loves Texas- the people, the scenery, the fishing, the food and yes the weather - about the only thing i dont like is the fracking traffic in Dallas and Austin - well maybe the panhandlers too in Austin.
It's great that you love and have embraced Texas. Absolutely WONDERFUL. But here's the thing: the traffic that you're complaining about? It has gotten and keeps getting worse and worse, the more Californians keep flocking to DFW and Austin. Both were MUCH better and WAY more manageable before the huge, never-ending influx of Californians (along with the cost of living). I don't say that to knock Californians like you who love and embrace Texas, but it's just a fact.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:16 AM

I do want to add that for every Californian who thinks that the entire state of Texas is one big, brown, dry desert, there's a Texan who thinks that the entire state of California is one big, always sunny, perfect weather-having beach...lol.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,269,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Well, if any Californians don't like Texas, then they are welcome to stay in or go back to their precious "Golden State." Too many Californians moving to Texas too fast has already ruined too much of Texas as it is.
Yeah and Texans are in the process of ruining Colorado, right along side the Californians. When you have that many people in your state, you are going to make up a large percentage of in migration for any rapidly growing state.

You want to ***** about Californians ruining Texas? Fine, Texans are ruining Idaho. Look at the Wilks brothers. They bought a massive amount of land that is a buffer between public roads and the national forests in Idaho. For generations previous owners of the land have allowed sportsmen to cross their land to gain access to the public land. Not these clowns, they are fencing it all off and blocking the private roads. You would have to drive many hours to get around through other access points, and in some cases, there is no other way to get there.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...e97790302.html

No one disagrees that they have the technical right to do so, but it's incredibly "Un-Neighborly" even though they claim they respect local traditions, they do not. They just don't understand local culture, the idea that you can respect private property without being a **** about it. You can own land and be generous with your neighbors. You don't have to shoot someone if their foot touches your lawn just because it's within your legal rights.

Texans have a well deserved reputation as terrible house guests in other states. Native Coloradans dislike Texans even more than Californians and it isn't hard to see why.

Take a look at the small amount of public land we have here in Texas and you can see why, I've never seen so much litter and general disregard on public land in my life.

****ing on Californians is a bad idea if you are a Texan. Don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house.

Also, for the most part in migration has improved the state of Texas. Both Dallas and Houston are 100 times better than they were 10 years ago, largely thanks to migrants and immigrants.

Austin is the only one that you can really argue is "Worse" and thats only if you wanted it to stay a weird medium sized college town for hippies.

Transplants to Texas have poured billions of dollars into the Texas economy, we have gentrified neighborhoods that the locals are afraid of we've paid taxes that educate your kids and build your roads.

I really like Texas, It's a cool place with great opportunity and it's getting better, thanks in a large part to migrants and immigrants.

Outside of Austin changing, what specifically is being "Ruined" about Texas? We aren't moving to the dying small towns in rural counties, we have largely left those alone. Rural Texas still belongs to native Texans.

All migrants have done is make the big cities safer, more vibrant, more economically viable, and more important, both nationally and internationally. We've brought high paying jobs and increased property values to the locals.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 11-20-2018 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 09:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah and Texans are in the process of ruining Colorado, right along side the Californians. When you have that many people in your state, you are going to make up a large percentage of in migration for any rapidly growing state.

You want to ***** about Californians ruining Texas? Fine, Texans are ruining Idaho. Look at the Wilks brothers. They bought a massive amount of land that is a buffer between public roads and the national forests in Idaho. For generations previous owners of the land have allowed sportsmen to cross their land to gain access to the public land. Not these clowns, they are fencing it all off and blocking the private roads. You would have to drive many hours to get around through other access points, and in some cases, there is no other way to get there.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...e97790302.html

No one disagrees that they have the technical right to do so, but it's incredibly "Un-Neighborly" even though they claim they respect local traditions, they do not. They just don't understand local culture, the idea that you can respect private property without being a **** about it. You can own land and be generous with your neighbors. You don't have to shoot someone if their foot touches your lawn just because it's within your legal rights.

Texans have a well deserved reputation as terrible house guests in other states. Native Coloradans dislike Texans even more than Californians and it isn't hard to see why.

Take a look at the small amount of public land we have here in Texas and you can see why, I've never seen so much litter and general disregard on public land in my life.

****ing on Californians is a bad idea if you are a Texan. Don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house.

Also, for the most part in migration has improved the state of Texas. Both Dallas and Houston are 100 times better than they were 10 years ago, largely thanks to migrants and immigrants.

Austin is the only one that you can really argue is "Worse" and thats only if you wanted it to stay a weird medium sized college town for hippies.

Transplants to Texas have poured billions of dollars into the Texas economy, we have gentrified neighborhoods than the locals are afraid of we've paid taxes that educate your kids and build your roads.

And in the process run out people who have lived there for generations due to rising property taxes because you come in and pay cash for outlandish prices that raise prices for everyone and tell yourself that you are "improving things" for the people that lived here before you arrived. As well as those in neighborhoods that are and were NOT "scary" (to whom, one wonders).

Old 11-20-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And in the process run out people who have lived there for generations due to rising property taxes because you come in and pay cash for outlandish prices that raise prices for everyone and tell yourself that you are "improving things" for the people that lived here before you arrived. As well as those in neighborhoods that are and were NOT "scary" (to whom, one wonders).
Thank you!!! Another condescending, paternalistic, "We're not making things worse for you, we're making things BETTER (even though we are running and pricing you out in the process)" transplant post. Geez, some people just don't get it.

Oh, and paternalistic, snobbish transplants throwing their cash money from higher cost of living areas around to make Texas "better" for them, no matter how much WORSE they make it for the locals, is the reason why Texans are starting to move to all the other states that dude claims Texans are ruining. Hell, we are being PUSHED OUT OF TEXAS BY Y'ALL!!!!!!

I'll just leave it at that. I've said my piece, so I'm not going to do the whole back and forth for 100 posts thing. I just HAD to respond to that, because that type of snobbish, entitled, paternalistic transplant attitude is exactly the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas