Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 06:29 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Transplants don't usually move to Texas for to be beach or ski bums. This isn't a "Lifestyle" State. Most don't come here to retire as the tax system favors the working person. Most of us come here thirsty for opportunity, I would speculate that , like most places, transplants probably make more money than natives, they took a risk to move somewhere for opportunity and that favors ambitious people.

I agree that this isn't a lifestyle state. This is a place to come to work that has enough of a population base due to a good economy to make a decent lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 08:54 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,036,540 times
Maybe I´ll get smacked down and proven wrong in the responses to what I´m about to say, but...

Think about the large, multi-generational waves of migration of Louisianians in Texas. Aside from the post-Katrina, poorest of the poor migration bump in Houston (sorry about that, by the way), from what I can tell most Louisianians feel right at home in Texas and most Texans seem to like us. My family is all from Cajun country and New Orleans, and more of them live in Texas than Louisiana now. It´s not one or two cities either, it´s all over the map...Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Beaumont, Orange...all over.

Before anyone from afar says ¨Oh but Texas and Louisiana are basically the same thing¨...don´t, that´s not even close to true. Maybe Shreveport and Dallas are similar, but a Cajun or New Orleanian is going to really have to adapt to life in Texas. And we do.

Why is there more tension with people from other regions coming in? Do they adapt less and complain more? Are their cultures unappealing to Texans?

Old 11-21-2018, 09:03 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Maybe I´ll get smacked down and proven wrong in the responses to what I´m about to say, but...

Think about the large, multi-generational waves of migration of Louisianians in Texas. Aside from the post-Katrina, poorest of the poor migration bump in Houston (sorry about that, by the way), from what I can tell most Louisianians feel right at home in Texas and most Texans seem to like us. My family is all from Cajun country and New Orleans, and more of them live in Texas than Louisiana now. It´s not one or two cities either, it´s all over the map...Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Beaumont, Orange...all over.

Before anyone from afar says ¨Oh but Texas and Louisiana are basically the same thing¨...don´t, that´s not even close to true. Maybe Shreveport and Dallas are similar, but a Cajun or New Orleanian is going to really have to adapt to life in Texas. And we do.

Why is there more tension with people from other regions coming in? Do they adapt less and complain more? Are their cultures unappealing to Texans?
I think its just a City Data thing more than anything. Ive been in Texas since 2010. Ive had one person make a derogatory comment to my face about Californians since then.

I suppose some people are dense enough to think you should have to change when you move to a different region of the country. Others are dense enough to think that if you move to a new regional, it will be exactly like it was in your previous home. Both equally stupid.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:14 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,967 times
Quote:
Also, for the most part in migration has improved the state of Texas. Both Dallas and Houston are 100 times better than they were 10 years ago, largely thanks to migrants and immigrants.
This is very true, especially for Dallas. It is the transplants that have been revitalizing the city of Dallas, not the natives who destroyed it and then moved out to Highland Park or the 'burbs.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:28 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,270,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
This is very true, especially for Dallas. It is the transplants that have been revitalizing the city of Dallas, not the natives who destroyed it and then moved out to Highland Park or the 'burbs.
Not really true for Houston though. But even then, the transplants that assisted both cities aren't the types being complained about.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post

Are you a native or a transplant?

Old 11-23-2018, 08:14 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Who really cares what Californians think? They've not done much except ruin neighboring Western states. See Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado as other examples.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:23 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Who really cares what Californians think? They've not done much except ruin neighboring Western states. See Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado as other examples.
And how did we ruin those states?

Old 11-23-2018, 10:11 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,269,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Eh, I don't think thats fair. The Western States have seen massive growth from just about everywhere. By and large, I think Transplants and fresh blood are good things.

Texas does have the least right to complain about Californians. Though housing prices have gone up here, for the most part we have been able to keep up and so the increase has been smaller than just about everywhere else.

The biggest disadvantages to immigration are when the local housing prices shoot up, which relative to the rest of the country, they haven't done here.

Plus for every Californian moving here there are people moving to the cities from dying rural towns in Texas, or Oklahoma.

"Even more crucially, the prices in these two Texas giants have stabilized even amid this incredible population boom–especially in Houston. Since April of 2010, average median home prices there have risen by $44,000. Compare this with similar Sunbelt metros that have strong economies and growth, but not nearly the same number of housing permits. The median home price growth over that period was $56,000 in Nashville; $63,000 in Tampa; $77,000 in Phoenix; $81,000 in Austin; and $102,000 in Miami-Dade County."

https://marketurbanismreport.com/hou...g-supply-race/

Anyway, the "Texasy" parts of Texas have stayed as Texas as anyone could want-they have very slow growth or negative migration.

The big cities have reaped the benefits of being bigger cities including better food, arts and diversity. The negatives are very localized and relative. What is negative for one person is a boon for another. A specific field gets paved over, a specific neighborhood doubles in price, but across the board DFW and Houston have dealt with growth better than most places and have benefited immensely from the infusion of money and talent into their cities.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:49 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,967,735 times
Quote:
Eh, I don't think thats fair. The Western States have seen massive growth from just about everywhere. By and large, I think Transplants and fresh blood are good things.

Texas does have the least right to complain about Californians. Though housing prices have gone up here, for the most part we have been able to keep up and so the increase has been smaller than just about everywhere else.

The biggest disadvantages to immigration are when the local housing prices shoot up, which relative to the rest of the country, they haven't done here.

Plus for every Californian moving here there are people moving to the cities from dying rural towns in Texas, or Oklahoma.

"Even more crucially, the prices in these two Texas giants have stabilized even amid this incredible population boom–especially in Houston. Since April of 2010, average median home prices there have risen by $44,000. Compare this with similar Sunbelt metros that have strong economies and growth, but not nearly the same number of housing permits. The median home price growth over that period was $56,000 in Nashville; $63,000 in Tampa; $77,000 in Phoenix; $81,000 in Austin; and $102,000 in Miami-Dade County."

https://marketurbanismreport.com/hou...g-supply-race/

Anyway, the "Texasy" parts of Texas have stayed as Texas as anyone could want-they have very slow growth or negative migration.

The big cities have reaped the benefits of being bigger cities including better food, arts and diversity. The negatives are very localized and relative. What is negative for one person is a boon for another. A specific field gets paved over, a specific neighborhood doubles in price, but across the board DFW and Houston have dealt with growth better than most places and have benefited immensely from the infusion of money and talent into their cities.
Wow! Austin real estate prices have appreciated almost twice as much as Dallas or Houston! Austin might very well overtake Sacramento in home prices one day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas