Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:07 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,269,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And in the process run out people who have lived there for generations due to rising property taxes because you come in and pay cash for outlandish prices that raise prices for everyone and tell yourself that you are "improving things" for the people that lived here before you arrived. As well as those in neighborhoods that are and were NOT "scary" (to whom, one wonders).
I haven't paid cash for anything. I came here for college from a state less wealthy than Texas where almost everything is less expensive than it is here. In fact, the loans I took out for college were dumped right into the Texas economy since I went to a private University.

I've put way more into Texas financially than I've gotten back in services: I don't have kids but I still pay into the school system, I've never taken any social assistance but I chip into that like everyone else. I'm fine with that because what Texas has given me is opportunity which I'm very grateful for.

Transplants don't usually move to Texas for to be beach or ski bums. This isn't a "Lifestyle" State. Most don't come here to retire as the tax system favors the working person. Most of us come here thirsty for opportunity, I would speculate that , like most places, transplants probably make more money than natives, they took a risk to move somewhere for opportunity and that favors ambitious people.

https://candysdirt.com/2014/04/09/da...s-la-surprise/

Plus, if you look at who is actually moving here, the majority of the interstate migrants are from more affordable places than Texas, so they aren't buying cash on million dollar homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 10:17 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,269,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Thank you!!! Another condescending, paternalistic, "We're not making things worse for you, we're making things BETTER (even though we are running and pricing you out in the process)" transplant post. Geez, some people just don't get it.

Oh, and paternalistic, snobbish transplants throwing their cash money from higher cost of living areas around to make Texas "better" for them, no matter how much WORSE they make it for the locals, is the reason why Texans are starting to move to all the other states that dude claims Texans are ruining. Hell, we are being PUSHED OUT OF TEXAS BY Y'ALL!!!!!!

I'll just leave it at that. I've said my piece, so I'm not going to do the whole back and forth for 100 posts thing. I just HAD to respond to that, because that type of snobbish, entitled, paternalistic transplant attitude is exactly the problem.
No, I get it. I grew up in a city that is now majority transplants and I've heard people **** about it my whole life. I'm just saying there are two sides to this. I'm just not a xenophobe.

The Example I gave wasn't people being pushed "Out of Texas" it was about a couple of Billionaires, in case you didn't bother to read it. My point was Texas is a wealthy state and Texans are no one to talk when it comes to pushing people out in smaller, less wealthy states like they seem to be doing about folks moving here from California. Kinda sucks to taste your own medicine?

If you are getting pushed out of Texas by a 20 something who took out loans to go to school in your state and moved here with negative monies and then worked in Alaska during the summers and took loans to pay for school then sorry dude. If you feel pushed out by people moving here from AR, LA, OK (the largest groups) when those are all significantly poorer states than Texas....um, ok.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:18 AM

605 posts, read 335,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
i can tell you this expat Californian loves Texas- the people, the scenery, the fishing, the food and yes the weather - about the only thing i dont like is the fracking traffic in Dallas and Austin - well maybe the panhandlers too in Austin.

there so much too see and so much to do - plus no state income tax its perfect for us. someone will ***** about the property tax but i can tell you after 30 years in the same house in so cali the property tax for myna house in Crawford is lower that my old house

so its hot - bid deal no smog, no holes gangbangers, no sitting on the freeway for a hour to go 12 miles, no utility taxes, gas 2.40 not over 3.6, 5 minutes to the country where you have to drive hours to get away from people,
the property tax is capped at 1% in Calif
I thought that meant it was inexpensive!

Not compared to Nevada where it's about 30% cheaper!
Hmmm.....no income tax (wages are lower though) and 30% less property tax would help even it out.
Thanks
Sales tax is 33% of each penny more than California.
Except each time we get gas in Nevada vs Calfornia, my husband says we are able to drive further
Because they don't put the crap in the gasoline. And the vehicle should last longer
Gas is almost always slightly cheaper so the sales tax of 33% of each penny...well it's a wash.
No sales tax on Food just like Calif which is what we buy most.
Otherwise it's EBAY, or a thrift store for everything else, almost.
The 3 thrift stores we've been buying from in Nevada there haven't been charging us any sales tax.
Also the food is MUCH MUCH cheaper in Nevada, at least at Grocery Outlet
Though I shopped at Grocery Outlet in Calif yesterday for a Turkey, we'll shop at Grocery Outlet in Nevada today.
Saving alot of $$!

Last edited by BumbleBeeHunter; 11-20-2018 at 10:51 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 11:17 AM

716 posts, read 540,111 times
property tax has 1% but that is before the dumb ass bonds they vote for every election before any remodel that requires a permit then the valuation is reassesed

when you but today in the inflated market the housing values are triple or more than most other states - so thats how property taxers are equal to or higher than states like texas

sales tax in many cities is not 10.25 also - calif is way more expensive that other states - not to mention things like utility taxes the cites levy on gas, electric, internet, phone bills

done get me started on the water and trash bills -

Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Several years ago I went to a welcome dinner some friends of mine threw for a family they knew who moved here from Boston because they couldn’t afford a house there. When I politely asked the wife how they were settling in, she complained that people weren’t as friendly as she was told they’d be and she launched into a litany of complaints including the lack of history and public transit and the fact that you couldn’t walk to anything. After several minutes of patiently listening without pause I finally got fed up and asked her why she moved to Benbrook of all places if those things were so important to her. I didn’t tell her though that the rudeness was on her part not on other people’s part.

I'm a California native who moved to The Woodlands about ten years ago. I'm a pretty friendly person (I've been teased bout having the 'able to strike up a conversation with a lamppost gene' that others in my family 'have'). I've spent time in all of the forty largest cities in the United States. IMO, the city among those forty that has the least friendly/most unfriendly/rudest people is Boston.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:03 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

I've spent time in all of the forty largest cities in the United States. IMO, the city among those forty that has the least friendly/most unfriendly/rudest people is Boston.
Ever been to Miami? Thats the worst IMO.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:36 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ever been to Miami? Thats the worst IMO.
I just don't see it. Don't know about Cali but Texans are certainly more aggressive than people down here. Miami has a different brand of attitudes for sure but not necessarily worse. The politeness and southern hospitality of TX cease being pleasant once one discovers that it isn't usually genuine.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:38 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,543,265 times
Texas population is 28.3 million residents, while California is 39.5 million residents.

246,000 people are behind bars today in Texas.

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/profiles/TX.html

242,000 people are behind bars today in California.

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/profiles/CA.html

I certainly don't hate Texas, I love my home state. I am just appalled that the number of people behind bars surpasses California which has 11 million more people. I always question the "Texans have more freedom" argument that many have especially when Texas has a high percentage of people in prisons.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I just don't see it. Don't know about Cali but Texans are certainly more aggressive than people down here. Miami has a different brand of attitudes for sure but not necessarily worse. The politeness and southern hospitality of TX cease being pleasant once one discovers that it isn't usually genuine.

How is being polite and hospitable not "genuine"?

What are you expecting from ordinary every day politeness that you are not getting? I am polite and friendly to lots of people, but that doesn't mean that I am instantly best friends with all of them or that I take them home with me. (BOY, would things be crowded if I did!)

It may be that you only exhibit what we consider to be the very basics of human interaction, politeness and hospitality, to your good friends and you somehow think that if someone is nice to you that that means that they want to be best buddies (because that's how people are where you came from, and would never be polite and hospitable to people that aren't their good friends, maybe?) and when your interpretation turns out not to be true you think it's not genuine. That's not the case but I can see how someone from a culture where politeness is not a given might interpret it that way.

Or something else entirely, and if that's the case, please explain what you mean.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:07 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,270,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Thank you!!! Another condescending, paternalistic, "We're not making things worse for you, we're making things BETTER (even though we are running and pricing you out in the process)" transplant post. Geez, some people just don't get it.

Oh, and paternalistic, snobbish transplants throwing their cash money from higher cost of living areas around to make Texas "better" for them, no matter how much WORSE they make it for the locals, is the reason why Texans are starting to move to all the other states that dude claims Texans are ruining. Hell, we are being PUSHED OUT OF TEXAS BY Y'ALL!!!!!!

I'll just leave it at that. I've said my piece, so I'm not going to do the whole back and forth for 100 posts thing. I just HAD to respond to that, because that type of snobbish, entitled, paternalistic transplant attitude is exactly the problem.
Between Dan Patrick and 'Lyin' Ted, transplants have also done quite a bit of harm through the state offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas