Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2019, 07:07 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,277,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Sadly I agree with that last line. It makes it hard to have an objective conversation about the city without getting laughed at.

Houston is great! I love it here. Its an extremely diverse, genuinely international city with exceptional food offerings and a laid back vibe. But when people make threads about how Houston is the next Toronto, salivating for Houston to be bigger than Chicago (like that would make the city magically different), or that Galveston is equal to Fort Worth in its contribution to the area, you know there are some crazies around here.

Its almost as if people are dissatisfied with Houston just being Houston and want it to be like someplace else.
Luckily the number of insecure Houstonians in real life is a pretty small fraction of the actual population of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 07:07 PM

6,295 posts, read 7,520,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
This is absolutely moronic.

Maybe you don't like the cold...ok, fine, but no need to overstate an occasional cold front as a major concern.

Cold weather kills less people than hot weather does in the US every year. (though it is pretty close)

An occasional snow or ice storm Dallas might have is much less concerning than the flooding and hurricanes Houston is prone to.
If they counted traffic and airplane accidents that are caused by cold weather the statistics would tell a different story.

"Winter storms are far deadlier than previously believed, according to a new study released by atmospheric scientists at the University of Georgia.
The study, performed by Alan Black and Thomas Mote, found that NOAA's data on winter storm fatalities were leaving out thousands of traffic-related deaths that occurred on roads made treacherous by the snow and ice. They found that NOAA had attributed 571 deaths to winter storms in the United States from 1996 to 2011, but when they added traffic- and plane crash-related deaths, that total rose to 13,852 deaths in the same time frame.
In other words, winter storms are almost 25 times more deadly than the numbers would lead you to believe, the study said.

Using NOAA's data, the 15-year period studied would have an average annual death toll of about 38. But that average death toll jumps to about 923 when the study's criteria are adjusted to include car and plane crashes that were indirectly attributed to a winter storm.
According to fatality data kept by NOAA for every type of weather event, heat-related deaths currently have the highest 10-year average, with an average of 123 deaths occurring due to heat each year from 2004 to 2013. But the deadliest type of weather could change if NOAA decides to reclassify winter storm deaths based on the information found in the study."

https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...ms-more-deaths

Last edited by Jack Lance; 06-23-2019 at 07:27 PM..

Old 06-23-2019, 07:17 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,227,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
If they counted traffic and airplane accidents that are caused by cold weather the statistics would tell a different story.

"Winter storms are far deadlier than previously believed, according to a new study released by atmospheric scientists at the University of Georgia.
The study, performed by Alan Black and Thomas Mote, found that NOAA's data on winter storm fatalities were leaving out thousands of traffic-related deaths that occurred on roads made treacherous by the snow and ice. They found that NOAA had attributed 571 deaths to winter storms in the United States from 1996 to 2011, but when they added traffic- and plane crash-related deaths, that total rose to 13,852 deaths in the same time frame.
In other words, winter storms are almost 25 times more deadly than the numbers would lead you to believe, the study said.

Using NOAA's data, the 15-year period studied would have an average annual death toll of about 38. But that average death toll jumps to about 923 when the study's criteria are adjusted to include car and plane crashes that were indirectly attributed to a winter storm.
According to fatality data kept by NOAA for every type of weather event, heat-related deaths currently have the highest 10-year average, with an average of 123 deaths occurring due to heat each year from 2004 to 2013. But the deadliest type of weather could change if NOAA decides to reclassify winter storm deaths based on the information found in the study."

https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...ms-more-deaths
In Dallas?

Old 06-23-2019, 07:42 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,276,503 times
Quote:
A hurricane does alot more to slow down business than a snow or even ice storm.

Chicago doesn't shut down for months on end. I've had a grand total of one day where I was told I didn't need to go to work because of the weather in almost a decade in Dallas ( I still went anyway). My buddy who works in Houston had a full week off during the Harvey floods.

I mean sure ice storms can cause damage, and they do, but they don't come close to Hurricane or tropical storm damage, don't be silly.
I'm not disputing the devastation that hurricanes bring. But the point is that you can do a lot more to prevent said devastation than you can with other natural disasters, leading to why the storms are not viewed with too much concern. That full week off for Hurricane Harvey was good Netflix and chill time.

Quote:
An occasional ice storm might be a deal breaker for you and make a place "Less Desirable" but tons of high value places have snow and doesn't seem to stop them. I mean lol stop.
Facts can't be stopped, my friend. Just look at where civilizations emerged. Where agriculture is diverse and bountiful. Where rich ecological jewels like rainforests thrive. Lots of hurricanes at times, but not a single snowflake in sight.

Quote:
Don't be that Houston Homer.
Then stop being THAT transplant.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:45 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,276,503 times
Quote:
Luckily the number of insecure Houstonians in real life is a pretty small fraction of the actual population of the city.
Way outnumbered by the ignorant transplants that get their knickers in a twist over dissenting viewpoints.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
The demographics of this forum already dictate a negative viewpoint towards Houston, regardless of what is said about it. Just look at those Toronto and Chicago comparison threads you mention, the people start hyperventilating and scoffing over the mere mention of Houston, let alone a positive opinion of it.

Thus, there is no point for any concern regarding the behavior of "delusional Houston boosters" on here. If anything, I wholeheartedly support it, because it at least establishes dissent within the discussion.
Yeah but acting delusional takes away from the great stuff about Houston. It sounds desperate. Houston is a huge, metropolitan city, act like you have been there before.

You aren't adding anything to the dialogue by being a desperate, delusional homer. The best thing you could do for the city is be mater of fact about the facts. For things that are simply preferences...just shrug and say "Thats the way it is and I like it that way"

Being a matter of fact, but honest supporter of the city is the real dissent since the current narrative is controlled by people who talk crap about the city and crazy reactionaries who validate the critics with their own wild opinions.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Facts can't be stopped, my friend. Just look at where civilizations emerged. Where agriculture is diverse and bountiful. Where rich ecological jewels like rainforests thrive. Lots of hurricanes at times, but not a single snowflake in sight.
That simply isn't true. The great civilizations emerged in river valleys that were definitively not rain-forests. Egypt, Babylon, the yellow river in China....none of these were in rainforests.

In the US and Europe, the the industrial revolution took place in northern countries because the winter allowed for down time, and the lower crop yields required more innovation. Even though they started with advantages, the south was outpaced by northern industrious and innovation.

Clearly you don't really know much about history, and the geographic history of the world is pretty complicated and nuanced, not something that can be explained in a line or two. I have a degree in history and wouldn't claim to be an expert on it. Also there are plenty of theories and other factors in play.

I also love rain-forests by the way. They are absolutely rich ecological jewels. They are also home to all sorts of bugs, diseases and undesirable species that come with the territory of being ecologically diverse. Things you don't want to live with, but it's cool they exist.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
In Dallas?
Oh No, it snows in Dallas every 3 years or so, lets attribute every single issue that happen in MN and the Dakotas to DALLAS!!!!

Old 06-23-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Then stop being THAT transplant.
Hey, I like Houston, but I have seen enough of the world to know what it is, and isn't. I can confidently say I still like it without embarrassing myself.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:14 PM

6,295 posts, read 7,520,991 times
Quote:
This is absolutely moronic.

Maybe you don't like the cold...ok, fine, but no need to overstate an occasional cold front as a major concern.

Cold weather kills less people than hot weather does in the US every year. (though it is pretty close)

An occasional snow or ice storm Dallas might have is much less concerning than the flooding and hurricanes Houston is prone to.
Quote:
Oh No, it snows in Dallas every 3 years or so, lets attribute every single issue that happen in MN and the Dakotas to DALLAS!!!!
Typical strawman argument. You posted that " cold weather kills less people than hot weather does in the US every year. (though it is pretty close)" I just posted a link that may dispute that.

Just a matter of fact posting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas