Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:34 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Conclusion death rates from natural disasters are roughly the same in North Texas as in South East Texas ,even though a greater number of deaths from hurricanes come at one time in Coastal Texas, where as deaths in North Texas are more evenly spread out in smaller event that happen more frequently. Guess what ? I bet the cost differential of the two regions, of weather related damage is not as profound as you think either. Please prove me wrong !!!
Never mind a companion study by the same group gives us a basis for the relative cost.

More than 75% of the Texas MSAs exceeded the national average annual growth in GDP (4.8%) during 2001–2016. The highest annual growth in GDP was noted in the Odessa (10%), Midland (9.1%), Austin (8.9%), McAllen (8.3%), and Tyler (7.5%) MSAs. The top MSAs for total property damage in Texas were Houston ($5.6 billion), Dallas ($5.3 billion), Beaumont ($2.8 billion), Lubbock ($1.9 billion), and San Antonio ($1.6 billion). The regions with larger increases in average annual GDP suggest that these areas may have a higher risk of increased property damage in future disaster events. The GDP and property damage for each MSA clearly identifies the Houston and the Dallas MSAs as the wealthiest regions that also experienced the greatest property damage. Several of the MSAs in the western counties such as Amarillo, Lubbock, and El Paso have significantly lower GDP but relatively high property damage resulting in an appreciable normalized risk of economic loss (

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3263/8/10/384/htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 01:38 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,808 times
Just spent the weekend on Galveston at Pointe West. It was a very pleasant place to be. Away from the crowds the beach was clean and quiet. It isn't Hawaii, or even South Padre, but it is only 3 hours from our house. If I lived 3 hours from Padre I would go there. Same with Fiji. I don't.

The only time we went to "town" was for breakfast Sunday morning. Gumbo Diner is good eats! Yumm!!

Old 06-24-2019, 01:44 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Now your grabbing at straws in desperation when you bring up a hurricane that happened 120 years ago. Hey are them Indians still giving those white settlers problems up there in the middle of nowhere ?
I'm not willing to say that comparing Indian wars to hurricanes is the worst comparison/analogy I've ever heard, but it is certainly in the top 5 I've seen on city Data.

Quote:
I also think its hilarious that you think bar and restaurant crawls are somehow equivalent to walking 5 miles anywhere. Yes they are active in a very small area in sub freezing conditions but they don't walk 5 miles anywhere in it either.

The obesity rates you speak of are skewed by demographics not activity levels of similar groups.
Did you even look at my Data?

It wasn't just around the restaurants and bars, the whole city was more lively in 0 degrees than Dallas was when it is 40...or when it is 100. It definitely cultural, southerners walk less and are fatter mostly due to the culture....but the point is cold weather doesn't stop people from being active when that is the culture.

People walk around in sub-freezing conditions all the time. It poses virtually no risk if you dress for it. I played in 15-20 degree weather for hours at a time as a kid. It's dangerous to be running around in 100-degree weather.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
My point was Houston doesn't routinely shut down for a week, just like DFW doesn't routinely shut down for a week. Randomly it'll happen to both areas, but that's it. Over the last 15-20 years, both metro areas have shut down for a week one time each.
Ok fair, I agree with that.

One of these isn't like the other though in that it costs billions of dollars in damages.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Conclusion death rates from natural disasters are roughly the same in North Texas as in South East Texas ,even though a greater number of deaths from hurricanes come at one time in Coastal Texas, where as deaths in North Texas are more evenly spread out in smaller event that happen more frequently. Guess what ? I bet the cost differential of the two regions, of weather related damage is not as profound as you think either. Please prove me wrong !!!
I couldn't care less.

My main point was the occasional ice storm in North Texas is less of a big deal than Flooding. I personally know several people who have had their homes destroyed in the greater Houston area. Our ice storms don't do that.

It's so weird that Houstonians try to act like they have objectively incredible weather and a little cold is super deadly. It's your preference, it's find if you prefer it that way...but don't be silly about "The Dangers of the Cold"

"oH nOO tHe cOLd BaD! hOuSton hUmid and hEat aCtualLy bEst WeAtHer, eVeryOne AgrEE!" ok, man, whatever you say.

That's my point.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'm not willing to say that comparing Indian wars to hurricanes is the worst comparison/analogy I've ever heard, but it is certainly in the top 5 I've seen on city Data.

Did you even look at my Data?

It wasn't just around the restaurants and bars, the whole city was more lively in 0 degrees than Dallas was when it is 40...or when it is 100. It definitely cultural, southerners walk less and are fatter mostly due to the culture....but the point is cold weather doesn't stop people from being active when that is the culture.

People walk around in sub-freezing conditions all the time. It poses virtually no risk if you dress for it. I played in 15-20 degree weather for hours at a time as a kid. It's dangerous to be running around in 100-degree weather.
Your critique of my humor is meaningless if you just don't get it that's ok move along...

I run all the time in Houston weather , in fact I just finished a 3 mile run and I feel great. As far as your data walking is not the only form of exercise people partake in, and it doesn't really speak to the differences in weather related deaths or property damages between Houston and Dallas anyway.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Your critique of my humor is meaningless if you just don't get it that's ok move along...

I run all the time in Houston weather , in fact I just finished a 3 mile run and I feel great. As far as your data walking is not the only form of exercise people partake in, and it doesn't really speak to the differences in weather related deaths or property damages between Houston and Dallas anyway.
Ok, pass off a bad analogy as humour.

Obesity speaks for itself. The least active areas of the country are in the warm south...Cold weather doesn't keep people from being active, that was the only point related to that. You claimed people are more active in the south and that is simply wrong.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I couldn't care less.

My main point was the occasional ice storm in North Texas is less of a big deal than Flooding. I personally know several people who have had their homes destroyed in the greater Houston area. Our ice storms don't do that.

It's so weird that Houstonians try to act like they have objectively incredible weather and a little cold is super deadly. It's your preference, it's find if you prefer it that way...but don't be silly about "The Dangers of the Cold"

"oH nOO tHe cOLd BaD! hOuSton hUmid and hEat aCtualLy bEst WeAtHer, eVeryOne AgrEE!" ok, man, whatever you say.

That's my point.

Your point was Houston is a substantially more dangerous place to live than Dallas when it come to weather related deaths and damage, and the facts which I have posted prove that not to be the case.

Peruse the data if you wish or don't I don't really care especially after that creepy reference to a 1900 type storm that "will" happen again. In your dreams it will I'm sure...

Old 06-24-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Your point was Houston is a substantially more dangerous place to live than Dallas when it come to weather related deaths and damage, and the facts which I have posted prove that not to be the case.

Peruse the data if you wish or don't I don't really care especially after that creepy reference to a 1900 type storm that "will" happen again. In your dreams it will I'm sure...
Historically Houston metro Houston has more weather-related deaths because it has big floods. Any given year it is most likely a wash. Even the most destructive tornado or ice storm will not do as much property damage as major flooding. Houston also can get Tornados.

I have no desire to see Houston get hit again, no need to be so melodramatic. Take your underwear off your head and realize I actually really like the city and have no ill will towards it.

Houston homers will even argue with people who like their city and turn everyone else off to them.

Storms like that can and probably will happen again. Same as San Francisco will eventually have "The big one"

Old 06-24-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Historically Houston metro Houston has more weather-related deaths because it has big floods. Any given year it is most likely a wash. Even the most destructive tornado or ice storm will not do as much property damage as major flooding. Houston also can get Tornados.

I have no desire to see Houston get hit again, no need to be so melodramatic. Take your underwear off your head and realize I actually really like the city and have no ill will towards it.

Houston homers will even argue with people who like their city and turn everyone else off to them.

Storms like that can and probably will happen again. Same as San Francisco will eventually have "The big one"
lol you never stop do you. whether you like Houston or not is irrelevant. I have posted links to studies performed by a major university in Texas that states very clearly the average number of weather related deaths and property damage is roughly the same in DFW and Houston when averaged over time. That does not mean they are only equivalent when there is no hurricane on the upper Texas coast, it means that even with the hurricanes the average amount of deaths and property damage is equivalent in the two metros averaged over time.

Yet you insist on ignoring that data and talking right past the facts, in favor of this delusional premise that you have that you seem emotionally attached too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas