Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2023, 09:05 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
My point is that rents are high because supply is limited. The boom of residential skyscrapers is the market response to this. If supply is added rents will fall, but I think we are a ways away from the point where rents are too low to justify construction of the building. (Rents in downtown Austin are still much higher than in downtown Houston or Dallas for example) The reality is that each building only adds a couple hundred units at most.
It just depends on how deep demand is for downtown living at very high lease rates. It may be so deep in Austin that loss of some tech jobs, or at least the plateauing of the number of those jobs, won't be enough to start to even out demand and supply, and new buildings can still lease up quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 02:13 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Dallas named nation's top downtown living experience.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/life/da...8-02a0781dbc9b

Way to go Dallas!

Old 01-21-2023, 03:04 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post

Way to go Dallas!
Austin also got 2nd and Houston got 7th.

Great for Dallas, Austin, and Houston.

Old 01-21-2023, 03:13 PM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Austin also got 2nd and Houston got 7th.

Great for Dallas, Austin, and Houston.
Clearly if 3 Texas cities all made top 10s in a best downtown living list, then there’s something wrong. It doesn’t make since until you click on it and see they factor COL and it’s all data driven. And that explains it. If people had a choice to live in downtown Miami, NYC or Chicago vs Dallas (or any Texas city) then that’s just hilarious.

Title is extremely misleading.

Old 01-21-2023, 03:34 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Clearly if 3 Texas cities all made top 10s in a best downtown living list, then there’s something wrong. It doesn’t make since until you click on it and see they factor COL and it’s all data driven. And that explains it. If people had a choice to live in downtown Miami, NYC or Chicago vs Dallas (or any Texas city) then that’s just hilarious.

Yeah, the list has no Manhattan, no Center City, no SF, these are arguably among the top 5 Downtowns along with Chicago and Boston. Any list without those 3 must be highly based on subjective criteria. It's hard to place any of those 3 in the top 10, but all 3?

Old 01-21-2023, 03:44 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post

Way to go Dallas!
I love Dallas. But there’s no way in hell. LMAO

Old 01-21-2023, 05:46 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Yeah, the list has no Manhattan, no Center City, no SF, these are arguably among the top 5 Downtowns along with Chicago and Boston. Any list without those 3 must be highly based on subjective criteria. It's hard to place any of those 3 in the top 10, but all 3?
Yeah tbh the only Texas downtown that even has a chance at being close to a top 10 downtown to live in is Austin. Either way I’d personally say Chicago, NYC, SF, Boston, DC, Philly, Seattle, and Miami must be on the list. Detroit, Portland, Pittsburgh, and LA also have solid downtowns.

Adding things like COL and Apartment unit size definitely must have helped the Texas cities a lot.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:26 PM

679 posts, read 272,966 times
In addition to the other faults, I’m curious to know how they defined downtown in each city

Old 01-22-2023, 10:26 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

Damn, and here I am thinking I'm sharing something cool, lol. I see where everyone is coming from though.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:47 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Yeah tbh the only Texas downtown that even has a chance at being close to a top 10 downtown to live in is Austin. Either way I’d personally say Chicago, NYC, SF, Boston, DC, Philly, Seattle, and Miami must be on the list. Detroit, Portland, Pittsburgh, and LA also have solid downtowns.

Adding things like COL and Apartment unit size definitely must have helped the Texas cities a lot.
And San Diego. If we could get our downtowns to San Diego's level, I'd be pretty happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas