Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 04:33 PM

19,801 posts, read 18,099,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
This isn't a very hot take, but I can't think of two large metros that are more similar than Dallas and Houston.

I think the political borders are less important than the physical landscape. For Example I live in Irving and my neighborhood is just like maybe 70% of the neighborhoods in Dallas, Car based suburbia, same as Houston. Yes, Dallas is more walkable, but not for the vast majority of people who live here.

You have neighborhoods that differ mostly by what decade of suburbia they are. I live in a 50s/60s suburbia. Other near by neighborhoods are built in the 70s, 80s, and 90s respectively. They arn't that different from homes built in those decades in Dallas city limits, or Houston city limits.

Neither metro is winning any beauty contests.

And yes, if you have money, yes you can buy a brand new large home, or maybe a cool mid mod home in a neighborhood full of people like yourself. Those neighborhoods can have nice landscaping and be a nice place to live. Thing is, those exist anywhere, there is nothing particularly unique about it. You'll find similar places all over the place.

Heck, I like my neighborhood quite a bit as far as suburbia goes, it is ALMOST semi walkable, but it is litterally no different from almost walkable 50s suburbs or suburban areas of Denver, Houston, Atlanta, Boise, anywhere really.

But anyway what I find most remarkable about Dallas and Houston is how they aren't more different, considering the zoning... but of course we all already know that Houston isn't truely unzoned...there are tons of regulations that produce the same results more or less.

I think most of the people who think the cities are super different are from one of them and have some homer bias that makes them see the differences vs the numerous similarities.
I think that's pretty much that way it is.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:43 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The only reason I haven’t brought this up is because this thread was originally (I know it later took turns) about the development years. Houston did have early regulations but nothing to the degree of what you see now. In 2021, every single last construction project misread be approved and they aren’t as lenient as they once were. But again, this is 2021. Pre millennia is a very different story. And the more restricted building regulations are the reason newer Houston developments are trending walkable.
If only this existed earlier then Houston wouldn't have monstrosities like that giant Walmart in the Heights off I-10 or the HEB in Montrose. Both stores came to the city with an urban layout versus suburban one and the city essentially said no for both (and in the case of HEB let a few rowdy people decide the fate). If those were going up today, they'd have gone in as originally planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
DFW has more rich and very rich people and I think more people who earn $250K and up. I'll do some digging tomorrow.

The GDP difference isn't going to be slight for '21 either.
Houston has more millionaires and DFW has more billionaires last I checked. I think they're pretty close in the $250k-$1MM category.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:43 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,028,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I see most of this thread focusing on the Cities but not the region which really is more equitable.
Houston and DFW are twins at all. Not in governance, scenery, style or economy
Houston's economy is energy, the TMC and the seaport
DFW is a financials services hub, a huge logistics hub, a telecom center, and a retail center (Nieman's, Frito lay, Pier 1, Sally Beauty Supply, Dickies, Penneys, Haggar slacks, Fossil Watches, TGIF, Brinker restaurants) i.e. a more balanced economy
Houston is more diverse than DFW
DFW is wealthier.
Houston is more humid, DFW is hotter and colder.
Houston worries about Hurricanes and flooding. Dallas worries about Tornadoes and wind damage.
DFW is a bigger sports town from high school to pros, having the only NHL team in Texas. several minor league baseball teams, and a WNBA franchise which Houston does not have.
DFW has two zoos, Six Flags, several lakes and the State Fair. Houston has a zoo, Galveston, The Pleasure Pier and JSC but lost Astroworld.

UofH grad now in DFW.
Walker, how often do you get to Houston? The city is changing every day... Have you seen the new additions to the skyline? I like this view...

Attached Thumbnails
Why did Houston and DFW develop so differently?-houston-today-2.jpg  

Old 08-26-2021, 05:08 PM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
DFW has more rich and very rich people and I think more people who earn $250K and up. I'll do some digging tomorrow.

The GDP difference isn't going to be slight for '21 either.
Curious to why you believe that?

Just as a quick snapshot personal income was almost identical in 2019 - $58,890 (Houston) vs. $58,725 (DFW). What changed in the last year and a half or so?

Old 08-26-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post

Houston has more millionaires and DFW has more billionaires last I checked. I think they're pretty close in the $250k-$1MM category.
Per the first part. Sure and so what?

Per the second it is very close on the $250k and up. IIRC correctly Dallas is like 1 spot ahead of Houston. I'll find the list later.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:28 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,495 times
There is no neighborhood in the city of Houston that looks this fresh and well taken care of:

University Blvd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CP1oe6eZFAAEm3Eu6

Look, a thoroughfare adorned with trees that aren't just a bunch of sad, slow growing live oaks; manicured green space and uniform architecture:

Hwy 6
https://maps.app.goo.gl/C5L7ugzSn5R6BPcn7

An oasis of planning in the middle of mayhem:

3708 University Blvd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/X5sW91PexGvYYbVv6

Old 08-26-2021, 05:32 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
There is no neighborhood in the city of Houston that looks this fresh and well taken care of:

University Blvd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CP1oe6eZFAAEm3Eu6

Look, a thoroughfare adorned with trees that aren't just a bunch of sad, slow growing live oaks; manicured green space and uniform architecture:

Hwy 6
https://maps.app.goo.gl/C5L7ugzSn5R6BPcn7

An oasis of planning in the middle of mayhem:

3708 University Blvd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/X5sW91PexGvYYbVv6
The Rice Village neighborhoods are far better taken care of than those bland Sugar Land locations.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Curious to why you believe that?

Just as a quick snapshot personal income was almost identical in 2019 - $58,890 (Houston) vs. $58,725 (DFW). What changed in the last year and a half or so?

We've been over this before. Expect the GMP spread for '21 to be about $45-55B.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:38 PM

869 posts, read 319,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I was calling out you saying that people find Dallas boring. If Dallas is boring then Houston definitely is.

I said THAT in response to dallasboi specifically implying that people find Houston chaotic and ugly. I then countered that I've heard people say that they find Dallas boring and bland. It's not what I said myself. Well, maybe a lil blandish.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:57 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
I said THAT in response to dallasboi specifically implying that people find Houston chaotic and ugly. I then countered that I've heard people say that they find Dallas boring and bland. It's not what I said myself. Well, maybe a lil blandish.
Quit putting words in my mouth....I never said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas