Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 06:01 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,360,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
The point of this thread was not to compare the two cities... the OP is questioning how different Houston would be if it grew the way Dallas did... with a small city limits and hemmed in by smaller municipalities...

so feel free to chime in on that...
This is true my mistake.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:24 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,360,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Walkability is "overrated" in the United States because most Americans only know of a society where the automobile is the main source for getting to point A to B. Also keep in mind most walkable neighborhoods in a lot of major cities happen to be the most expensive areas as well. Unfortunately, it's expensive to walk in this country.

With that said, there's not many MSA's with core cities in the top 20 in America that are as car centric as Houston and Dallas. Phoenix, Riverside, Atlanta and Tampa are the other ones that are just as sprawling and car centric as Houston and Dallas and even Atlanta has a more walkable pedestrian friendly urban core than Houston and Dallas.

So while most of America does rely on the automobile to get around most are not as overwhelming in size as DFW and Houston. That's the difference. And because of that size and layout is why both are more identical in how they function than are dissimilar. As car centric as LA is it's developed a lot different than both cities.

With that said, we know walkability alone doesn't keep people. That's clearly not what I was saying but 8 out of 10 of our largest MSA's are way more walkable and desirable(if one could afford) than Houston and Dallas where COL and employment is much more of a factor for most Americans.
This is some truth but you implied that walkability was a substantial benefit. I disagree 8 of10 largest re more walkable. I think the ratio is definitely higher in the sunbelt, Denver,
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...eas-in-the-us/
I've visited the following or lived there.
Los Angeles
Miami - drove everywhere.
Riverside
Atlanta - lived here. The city is compact but the metro covers 8372 sq. miles vs.10,000 for Houston and 9286 for DFW.
City of Phoenix - 518 sq.miles

Now Boston metro is only 1422 sq. miles
Even with more money, I don't see many heading to Boston, NYC or Chicago for other reasons like cold, crime, density, politics.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:52 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Per the first part. Sure and so what?

Per the second it is very close on the $250k and up. IIRC correctly Dallas is like 1 spot ahead of Houston. I'll find the list later.
Unsure what the "so what" was for, just stating a difference between both metros.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:54 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The Rice Village neighborhoods are far better taken care of than those bland Sugar Land locations.
On the residential streets, sure there are some nice parts with lots of trees and such. But in terms of the neighborhood as a whole including major streets, parks and commercial districts, no I don't think so.

I would take bland over unorganized and underregulated; especially when I'm expected to pay a premium to live there. It should look and feel like truly exclusive neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:21 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
On the residential streets, sure there are some nice parts with lots of trees and such. But in terms of the neighborhood as a whole including major streets, parks and commercial districts, no I don't think so.

I would take bland over unorganized and underregulated; especially when I'm expected to pay a premium to live there. It should look and feel like truly exclusive neighborhood.
In every aspect that exists, Rice Village is better developed than any portion of Sugar Land both in residential and commercial areas and it’s not close.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:24 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
In every aspect that exists, Rice Village is better developed than any portion of Sugar Land both in residential and commercial areas and it’s not close.
Could you show me examples of what you mean?

Old 08-26-2021, 10:08 PM

19,801 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Unsure what the "so what" was for, just stating a difference between both metros.
So what = very obviously Houston has more millionaires than Dallas has billionaires.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:34 PM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
We've been over this before. Expect the GMP spread for '21 to be about $45-55B.
Oh yeah - they guy that has insisted for months he's privy to data for a year.... that is still in progress. I definitely remember you and am fully convinced you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

If DFW FINALLY passes Houston (again, despite being a bigger metro area) congrats. It has been the poorer overall metro area for a long time, albeit not by much.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:40 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,028,742 times
Quote:
So what = very obviously Houston has more millionaires than Dallas has billionaires.
I think you misread his post. He said Houston has more millionaires than Dallas and Dallas has more billionaires than Houston.

Both cities are flush with rich people wouldn’t you say? There is no shortage of wealthy benefactors in either city. The MFAH has the second largest endowment of any museum in the country, second only to New York. Meanwhile I’m pretty sure the DSO has a larger endowment than the HSO.

We’re fortunate in that regard and it’s largely due to Oil money (in both cities).

Old 08-26-2021, 10:47 PM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I think you misread his post. He said Houston has more millionaires than Dallas and Dallas has more billionaires than Houston.

Both cities are flush with rich people wouldn’t you say? There is no shortage of wealthy benefactors in either city. The MFAH has the second largest endowment of any museum in the country, second only to New York. Meanwhile I’m pretty sure the DSO has a larger endowment than the HSO.

We’re fortunate in that regard and it’s largely due to Oil money (in both cities).
There's some annoying stereotypes that Dallas folks have (and some equally annoying ones we have of them) but this one that we're a bunch of poor, blue-collar yokels is the worst one, especially when we generally make more money and have for most, if not all of my lifetime. Maybe its partially a function of the Dallas stereotype of $30,000 millionaires and the fact Houston is less flashy... I don't know.

Yet it continues to get repeated over and over and over. Both are functionally about even in wealth if we're being honest, just like they are about functionally even in everything else. But no Dallas is not and has not been wealthier overall than Houston in recent history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas