Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 04:45 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,028,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I want to reiterate that I don't think lack of zoning is the problem. Houston could have zoning and that wouldn't help matters if all other factors were the same.
I’m not clear what argument you are trying to make? You wish Houston city limits were hemmed in by a bunch of other smaller municipalities why exactly? Aesthetics?

What do you think Houston would have gained by this? Attracting more corporate HQ relocations? What is your point?

Old 08-25-2021, 06:02 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I’m not clear what argument you are trying to make? You wish Houston city limits were hemmed in by a bunch of other smaller municipalities why exactly? Aesthetics?

What do you think Houston would have gained by this? Attracting more corporate HQ relocations? What is your point?
*Better city services
*Better run municipalities
*Better looking Neighborhoods
*Better property value increases
* More jobs

Old 08-25-2021, 06:37 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
I wonder who actually looks into data when they make these claims. On a city level, Despite being twice the size of Dallas, Houston’s job market scores higher than Dallas. This is no surprise given DFW focusing their growth in the suburbs. DFW’s suburbs consistently show higher than Houston’s. The only impressive suburban job market in Houston is the Woodlands.

On a city level, Austin leads Houston and Dallas catastrophically and Fort Worth usually appears unranked.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I wonder who actually looks into data when they make these claims. On a city level, Despite being twice the size of Dallas, Houston’s job market scores higher than Dallas. This is no surprise given DFW focusing their growth in the suburbs. DFW’s suburbs consistently show higher than Houston’s. The only impressive suburban job market in Houston is the Woodlands.

On a city level, Austin leads Houston and Dallas catastrophically and Fort Worth usually appears unranked.
Well I'm certainly not making any claims just proposing certain theories. And more so about how the differences in development affect the metros as a whole not just the core cities.

I don't know about jobs, but I think aesthetics and quality of life would have easily been improved. Think of how Sugar Land looks much smarter and ornate than its peer neighborhoods that are in Houston city limits. I'm sure there are some who will attack and dismiss this idea, but whatever. Suburbs are popular for a reason: you get many of the benefits of small town living within the confines of a major metropolitan area. Except in Houston there aren't many of these "small towns" to choose from.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:57 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
*Better city services
*Better run municipalities
*Better looking Neighborhoods
*Better property value increases
* More jobs

I mean Dallasboi does have a point here.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:25 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,028,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I mean Dallasboi does have a point here.
Not to make things personal but you are still here. So either those things are not very important or DFW doesn’t have that much of a competitive advantage to make you pack your bags?

I think the OP’s argument is flawed.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,495 times
Quote:
Not to make things personal but you are still here. So either those things are not very important or DFW doesn’t have that much of a competitive advantage to make you pack your bags?

Why are you attacking OP? I hardly put forth much of an argument at all. Moreso asking questions and sharing my assumptions. But what have I said that you think is flawed?

We all know dallasboi prefers Dallas, but I certainly never claimed that it's an all around better city. Still I think most would agree that it is a better planned. This isn't to say Houston has no advantages of its own.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Redlion’s arguments have been fairly consistent. The answer here would likely be “because we are choosing between Dallas and Houston, not DC and Houston”. Earlier in this thread he mentioned both being severely behind national average with Houston being slightly under. And his motivation is enjoying Houston being the black playground Dallas isn’t. Summed up, this has been his argument consistently. To move on this doesn’t end at black, there are many other ethnic groups that have it better in Houston and this is a deciding factor for many.

I agree with the quoted points for the most part particularly City services. The only one I’m in disagreement is job market if we are talking City level. The city of Houston’s job marker is considerably ahead the city of Dallas. The job market data for the DFW area is generally skewed to the suburbs.

That said, I agree with your point that the difference isn’t big enough to warrant a move for most people. 99% of anyone seeking an improvement in this regard will move to atleast a DC, Chicago etc.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:18 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
I mentioned more jobs because the more individual townships you have the more individual fire departments police departments and everything else.

...hmmm...but now that I think about it...it will also create jobs by being an attractive place to live for companies considering relocating.......So being well planned is the real reason Dallas is the relocation capital.....

Last edited by dallasboi; 08-25-2021 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-25-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I mentioned more jobs because the more individual townships you have the more individual fire departments police departments and everything else.

...hmmm...but now that I think about it...it will also create jobs by being an attractive place to live for companies considering relocating.......So being well planned is the real reason Dallas is the relocation capital.....
However, this particular thread relates to cities. What you’re mentioning is happening in Plano, Irving and McKinney. On a city level, the Dallas job market isn’t as strong as Houston’s. So these urban developments while they help attract businesses because they offer things to do, they aren’t the ones directly attracting companies.

I will note one bias though. Houston has more suburban areas and business districts within its city limits though, particular West Chase, Uptown, CityCentre etc. With work trends going suburban, this probably affects the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas