Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 10:10 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The "human in utero" is a fetus, it is incapable of surviving outside of the mother's body until 24-28 weeks. I just love it how some people are referring to them as "unborn babies". At 6 weeks the fetus is 5mm long and looks like a tadpole, it's not an "unborn baby". But let's just hope your 14 year old daughter or granddaughter isn't raped because rape and incest are not exceptions to this law. I grew up during the 60's before roe v wade and abortion was illegal, but girls whose parents had the money took their daughter to a willing doctor and she returned to school 3 days later magically unpregnant. The poor girls, to avoid being kicked out of their parent's house, would resort to having their boyfriend kick or hit them in the abdomen repeatedly until they aborted the fetus. Is that really what you want to go back to? Anyone with money will simply go to another state, this will only hurt the poor and the very young who can't manage to travel to another state. Are you prepared to adopt these babies?
We need to change our language. It was highjacked by the fundamentalist religious right.

There are no "unborn children". There are zygotes, embryos, and fetuses. "Abortion" is not the correct word. The medical term for the procedure is "termination of pregnancy" The WOMAN is the patient. Not the zygote. A woman should have the right to end an unwanted pregnancy.

A PREGNANCY is being terminated. Not a person.

Sentimental language has no place in medicine.

My heart goes out to the women and girls of Texas.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:20 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGlideSpecial View Post
Looks like a lot of places are requiring vaccinations, it's not out of the realm of possibility. With the rare exception, no one put a gun to their head. Make better choices in life, period.

Why don't you tell men to stop raping women? Men make better choices in life, period. No government or man should ever tell a woman what she can or can't do with HER body.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
Why don't you tell men to stop raping women? Men make better choices in life, period. No government or man should ever tell a woman what she can or can't do with HER body.
Or if we are going to tell women what they can do with their body then there should be a law that requires sterilization of men who father children and abandon them....

Old 09-02-2021, 10:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
If your 13 year old daughter became pregnant as a result of a rape, what would you say to her? What would you say? What would you think? We'll wait.
@BobTex,

Let’s take that up a notch:

What if your brother got your 13 year old daughter pregnant? What would you say to her?? And even more f*ed up….what if your brother got your 13 year old daughter pregnant and then reported her for trying to get an abortion?! This bill is absolutely insane.

I am not pro-abortion but I’m old enough to have known several women who DESPERATELY wanted the babies they chose to abort for medical reasons. Babies missing vital organs who would have instantly died upon cutting the umbilical cord at full term. Do you even understand the inhumane torture of carrying a baby for 40 weeks that you 100% know will die upon his birth?! Do you understand what it’s like to be in your last remaining fertile years and have to waste 16-22 precious weeks carrying a baby to term who will not live and then having a longer recovery before you can try to conceive again?! Do you?!

If our state legislature was truly pro-life, they would care about masks and vaccines to prevent the deaths of people who already live in Texas who are dying because of misinformation and bad politics. If one abortion is too many, how many schoolchildren need to go on vents before it’s too many? How many school teachers dying of Covid is too many? How many grandparents, parents, aunts & uncles are too many?

If they were really pro-life and wanted these babies to be born, the might consider giving $10k to single moms and low income families instead of $10k rewards to tattle-tells.

If they were truly pro-life, we would have stricter gun laws not open carry and optional permits.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:52 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
If Texan politicians really cared about the sanctity of life, they would see to it that the state would have close to a 100% COVID vaccination rate...

Sorry, Texan women-- you all truly deserve so much better.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:56 PM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
What are these people thinking? I don't think it's going to help the Republican party anywhere. I just ran across this article, which found in polling that "66% of college-educated workers say they would not take a job in a state that prohibits abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, as Texas now does after the U.S. Supreme Court failed to intervene on Senate Bill 8. Roughly half of respondents said they would consider moving out of a state that passed such restrictions." https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiem...-abortion-ban/
I think this is an insightful point. Beyond the impact of turning off potential (and current) residents, I have to believe that many trade groups, professional societies, etc. are going to look to places other than Texas to hold conventions and other large business gatherings. It just seems like bad business and the restaurants, hotels, clubs that cater to these conventioneers are going to suffer financially.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:28 PM

221 posts, read 204,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I'm glad you don't either!

In fact most of the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth are from non-Texans. As Grandma used to say "Mind your own damned bidness"!
Bob you should listen to your grandma. A woman’s reproduction rights are none of your business. The only man that should have any consideration would be the father.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:29 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Default Hysteria abounds

Quote:
The "human in utero" is a fetus, it is incapable of surviving outside of the mother's body until 24-28 weeks. I just love it how some people are referring to them as "unborn babies". At 6 weeks the fetus is 5mm long and looks like a tadpole, it's not an "unborn baby". But let's just hope your 14 year old daughter or granddaughter isn't raped because rape and incest are not exceptions to this law. I grew up during the 60's before roe v wade and abortion was illegal, but girls whose parents had the money took their daughter to a willing doctor and she returned to school 3 days later magically unpregnant. The poor girls, to avoid being kicked out of their parent's house, would resort to having their boyfriend kick or hit them in the abdomen repeatedly until they aborted the fetus. Is that really what you want to go back to? Anyone with money will simply go to another state, this will only hurt the poor and the very young who can't manage to travel to another state. Are you prepared to adopt these babies?
I'm not too worried about my daughter (who is now 19) being raped. It could happen but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
[Mod cut: off topic/trolling]

But on to rape and incest. I don't like that part of the bill, don't agree with it. But in the long run that's only 1.5% of abortions. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/1211175001/ The abhorrent thing is people not using other means to prevent pregnancy ... it's too easy.

Now to your wanting to thrust your anatomy and physiology definitions on me. Don't bother, I probably know more than you about such due to my career choices. You have your thoughts (and that's just what they are . . . thoughts, opinions, whatever) and I have mine. I think of it as an unborn baby and if you need to soothe your conscience with rhetoric you just go right ahead, Bless your heart!

I find it quite heathen of you to use the argument that an unborn human can't survive on it's own outside the mother's body thus destroying it is fine. So on that definition (non-survival status) then it is OK to attack it and destroy it by your moral code, such as it is, anything that can't survive on its own. Should we include infants here? I ask you because these are your standard for destroying creatures with a heartbeat. I would be willing to bet my farm that you couldn't survive without someone delivering food to you . . . so by this non-survival code it is OK for you to be destroyed too because if your food train and water delivery was interrupted maybe it's time to inject large amounts of saline into your tissues and maybe stab you post cranially into your brainstem with large forceps and pull you apart in pieces. Your standards! But, this society has lots of members that need care to survive. Should these incapables be put to death by your weak standards? You could clean out them nursing homes! Just think, you could be Dr. 2Sleepy, Purveyor and Deviner of Death.

I'm easily old enough to remember pro Roe vs Wade. I'm glad you brought that up too. Law made by SCOTUS, not ruled on as to its Constitutionality as SCOTUS should. Extremely unAmerican. Yet this bill was voted on and passed by a legislative body whose members were chosen from their community . . . Can't get anymore constitutional than that. It's the epitome of the American way. Then folks that don't like it can work to change it.

I'll not adopt, probably wouldn't qualify at 67 although my 2 sisters adopted 3. How many poor kids did you adopt?

Last edited by elnina; 09-06-2021 at 11:20 AM..

Old 09-03-2021, 06:14 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,363 times
Quote:
No, actually it doesn't it has to do with certain human beings being dehumanized. It has nothing to do with the issue here. And just calling an embryo or a fetus a baby doesn’t make it one. If embryos are people, then where is the outrage over IVF clinics destroying unclaimed/unused ones?
Both my kids were 5 weeks early. I can assure you from personal experience that babies 5 weeks before full gestation are humans in every sense of the word. Babies that make it to full term are no less human 5 weeks prior to that. So your assertion that a baby suddenly becomes a human at birth is incorrect.

Embryos in a petri dish would not develop a human mind if left alone in the dish.

I hope you read the article I linked all the way through. Perhaps one day you'll see how it applies very directly to this.

Quote:
Or if we are going to tell women what they can do with their body then there should be a law that requires sterilization of men who father children and abandon them....
There should be, yes.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:03 AM

362 posts, read 140,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
Women have 6 weeks to have an abortion. It wasn’t outlawed. All this outrage for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas