Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 03:29 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
.but I do think there needs to be a system in place where if they're going to let them cross our borders, they become tax payers.. just like the rest of us..
Easy ... sales tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 04:38 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Easy ... sales tax
We are both paying that as well as Property Tax and Federal Income tax. (And if either of us lived in another state, also State income tax). Why should someone be omitted from paying Property or Income Tax over a national citizen only because they want to live in the USA? I’ve no issue with them living here if they’re doing what they need to do, but I don’t see any reason they should be given a priority over national citizens who are paying their fare share of taxes and expecting government to support them over someone who isn’t paying those taxes. Someone not paying their fare share is using our social resources over a tax paying citizen, especially over a lower income national citizen who is not receiving those resources as they are entitled to through their taxes because someone not paying taxes is receiving their benefits. Why should an American paying 3x as much tax be happy over someone who is not documented, and receiving their tax benefits on our dime while lower income American citizens bleeding for those same benefits?

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-23-2022 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 04:47 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Quote:
Easy ... sales tax
Sure. As long as you get rid of all other taxes for American citizens.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
We are both paying that as well as Property Tax and Federal Income tax. (And if either of us lived in another state, also State income tax). Why should someone be omitted from paying Property or Income Tax over a national citizen only because they want to live in the USA? I’ve no issue with them living here if they’re doing what they need to do, but I don’t see any reason they should be given a priority over national citizens who are paying their fare share of taxes and expecting government to support them over someone who isn’t paying those taxes. Someone not paying their fare share is using our social resources over a tax paying citizen, especially over a lower income national citizen who is not receiving those resources as they are entitled to through their taxes because someone not paying taxes is receiving their benefits. Why should an American paying 3x as much tax over someone who is not documented, and receiving their tax benefits on our dime while lower income American citizens bleeding for those same benefits?
Pretty sure they are a troll (I am hoping).

Illegals already do pay property tax and sales tax, anyways. I hear you about making them pay income tax, if they are going to come here against our will they need to do so. At some point we have to say no to more immigrants though, unless we want the entire world to come here.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Pretty sure they are a troll (I am hoping).

Illegals already do pay property tax and sales tax, anyways. I hear you about making them pay income tax, if they are going to come here against our will they need to do so. At some point we have to say no to more immigrants though, unless we want the entire world to come here.
How are they paying property tax while remaining undocumented?

And its like I said I have no issues with people coming here, but they need to be put on a documented system and not be allowed to do whatever they want and get away with everything that they do only because they are labeled as migrants. They need to be upheld to the same laws as national citizens and pay the same taxes as national citizens and not come here just seeking handouts.. ..and some of them are doing just that. I won't overgeneralize and say all of them are.. ..but the system is way to lenient on them.

The other issue I have is, no other country on the planet just allows people to hop their borders. None, Canada is very liberal, but you had better not cross their borders undocumented, it won't end pretty. Why is it a sin for the USA to protect its borders?

Old 08-23-2022, 04:57 PM

Maybe not directly. If they own the home they live in then somebody is paying property tax on it, whether they have it under somebodies name and they are paying that person or they are paying it themselves. If they rent, then you have to figure it is included in the rent, same as anybody else who rents.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Maybe not directly. If they own the home they live in then somebody is paying property tax on it, whether they have it under somebodies name and they are paying that person or they are paying it themselves. If they rent, then you have to figure it is included in the rent, same as anybody else who rents.
Fair points.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:13 PM

1,108 posts, read 529,132 times
Quote:
Easy ... sales tax
That may be factually correct but the fact is they dont buy new cars and trucks, high end furniture or appliances and very little gas compared to legal citizens so therefore they do not provide the same or even close to the same amount of sales tax dollars that they suck out of our system.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:37 PM

Also sales tax doesn't fund any of the services they use.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:21 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
We are both paying that as well as Property Tax and Federal Income tax. (And if either of us lived in another state, also State income tax). Why should someone be omitted from paying Property or Income Tax over a national citizen only because they want to live in the USA? I’ve no issue with them living here if they’re doing what they need to do, but I don’t see any reason they should be given a priority over national citizens who are paying their fare share of taxes and expecting government to support them over someone who isn’t paying those taxes. Someone not paying their fare share is using our social resources over a tax paying citizen, especially over a lower income national citizen who is not receiving those resources as they are entitled to through their taxes because someone not paying taxes is receiving their benefits. Why should an American paying 3x as much tax be happy over someone who is not documented, and receiving their tax benefits on our dime while lower income American citizens bleeding for those same benefits?
Immigrants contribute more in taxes than they take in benefits.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...he-u-s-economy

If they pay rent, property tax is rolled into it. Unless they're homeless, they're paying rent and therefore paying property taxes indirectly. Whenever they buy something, they pay sales tax. Whenever they fill up their car, they pay gas tax. I think you underestimate their positive and vital impact on the economy. If all undocumented immigrants suddenly disappeared tomorrow, it would have a devastating negative impact on the economy.

https://research.newamericaneconomy....ts-by-country/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas