Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2022, 12:26 PM

1,108 posts, read 529,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What’s the point of spending tax dollars busing them around the country?
He’s just doing them a favor
Simple that's 18k less illegals people the citizens of Texas does not have to house, feed, provide healthcare and education and a host of other savings.

Last edited by done working; 09-01-2022 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 05:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
You already pay no matter where you live in the US. The federal govt spends some of it, so that's your federal tax dollars at work directly. And then federal govt also grants states federal tax dollars to spend on immigrants.

States actually pay a lot less on immigrants than the federal govts. So maybe it's making other states spend a little bit more, but that may end up with Biden sending more federal money to those states, and less to TX, as those other states may need it more. I don't know the inner workings on how money is allocated to the states.

And the federal govt already spends money to send immigrants, typically children who did not come with parents, to various states depending on the children's nearest US relative or potential guardians in states like NY, Penn, Florida, etc. Conspiracy theorists call these "ghost flights" and rage that its some sinister plot by Biden to replace white people. But it's actually been done during both the Obama and Trump administrations also. But again, the usual misinformation conspiracy theorists spreaders need to rage because one admin did, but forget their dear leader also did it.
Biden is the only president that has worked to reduce Trump-era restrictions on immigration so of course he is going to get the flak. Also, Trump isn't my dear leader. I didn't even vote for Trump, and I don't want him to run in 2024. You sure know everything though.

Edit: one more thing. Even if people in NYC and DC are gladly paying for them we will see how they feel when the issue is in their backyard. I bet they will change their point of view.

Funny how people in Dallas, Houston, etc. and really every city in America look down on border towns but then want to keep illegal immigrants coming in.

Last edited by supfromthesite; 09-01-2022 at 05:51 PM..

Old 09-01-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
This is not always true. If the project was financed as a P3 (Public-Private Partnership), taxpayers foot some of the bill regardless of whether or not they actually drive on it. There are a plethora of managed lanes/toll roads in Texas that were financed this way.
That would be a mismanagement of funds then. Still isn't a "tax" though.

Last edited by supfromthesite; 09-01-2022 at 05:51 PM..

Old 09-01-2022, 06:30 PM

573 posts, read 336,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Biden is the only president that has worked to reduce Trump-era restrictions on immigration so of course he is going to get the flak. Also, Trump isn't my dear leader. I didn't even vote for Trump, and I don't want him to run in 2024. You sure know everything though.

Edit: one more thing. Even if people in NYC and DC are gladly paying for them we will see how they feel when the issue is in their backyard. I bet they will change their point of view.

Funny how people in Dallas, Houston, etc. and really every city in America look down on border towns but then want to keep illegal immigrants coming in.
Sorry sup. I should have been more clear. I don't think you are a conspiracy theorists or Trump voter. That conspiracy theorist paragraph was not directed at you, just general info on immigrants having been moved by the federal govt for about 10 to 12 years already, but some (again not you) believe it's only been done the past 2 years.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:10 PM

Word... my bad then.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:45 PM

3,892 posts, read 2,207,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I moved here from Chicago and dislike Illinois only slightly more than Texas.

Illinois is a dying state run by corrupt politicians who want to tax everything but at least you have more personal freedoms like buying alcohol after 9pm on Sundays, buying cannabis, and freedom over your own body.

Texas doesn't have as many nickel & dime taxes like IL, but there are still plenty of ways they tax you here. The toll roads in DFW are one of those things. The people who run the state are bought and paid off by the mega corporations and try to pander to the evangelicals which in my opinion is the worst combination.

I think I'd much rather live in a state like Montana, Vermont, or Maine but I just can't deal with those winters.
God, I hate toll roads too!

Old 09-02-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
God, I hate toll roads too!
Then don't use them its that simple.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:04 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Then don't use them its that simple.

Sometimes it's impossible to not use them. Good luck getting to Frisco without using tolls. I personally don't mind the tolls too much because I think it's only fair that you pay for the roads that you use. However, what I can't stand are those stupid express lanes that price gouge people. I've seen them as high as $20. To me, it's a very "Texas" thing to build a lane specifically for charging people out the butt rather than building a train line there instead so people don't have to drive in the first place.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:10 AM

11,831 posts, read 8,027,753 times
They are avoidable, even going to Frisco... ...but its very inconvenient to avoid them... That stated, TX isn't the only state that prioritizes Toll Roads for building new highways. Most states currently are not building free highways in urban areas any longer and are resorting to tolls, or plainly not building them at all. Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Chicago, NYC, Boston, Philly, ect have a plethora of urban toll roads. Seattle, San Francisco, LA have a few toll roads as well but more so prioritize tolling bridges at important crossings and building HOT lanes. The days of receiving free roads though are over for America.

The Express Lanes that 'Price Gouge' are designed to do just that. They do the same thing in the HOT Lanes on I-85 in Northeast Atlanta Metro, as well as I-95 in North Virginia heading into / out of D.C. .. Same can be said for I-15 in Salt Lake City Utah and various other HOT lanes across the country. It has nothing to do with Texas, it is their intended design. They are not supposed to have caps on their tolls nor are they supposed to be lanes priced fairly for everyone. They are supposed to provide reliable commute times, meaning the price is supposed to go up until traffic flow is optimized to a minimum speed, typically around 45 MPH (and I believe there is actually a federal law which mandates this as well)... ...unfortunately this also leads to them being stigmatized as 'Lexus Lanes' - but it is the only way they can provide reliable commute times, by toll-limiting the amount of traffic that uses them.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Sometimes it's impossible to not use them. Good luck getting to Frisco without using tolls. I personally don't mind the tolls too much because I think it's only fair that you pay for the roads that you use. However, what I can't stand are those stupid express lanes that price gouge people. I've seen them as high as $20. To me, it's a very "Texas" thing to build a lane specifically for charging people out the butt rather than building a train line there instead so people don't have to drive in the first place.
wrong you just dont want to take the long way around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas