Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2022, 01:57 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Some conservatives do and some do not.

I pretty much consider myself right leaning and I do not care if you get an abortion, smoke weed or want to put in a suit and call yourself a man, goat or a squirrel for heaven's sake. LOL

I also expect YOU to leave me alone on the vaccines and not make attempts to take my firearms away.

We CAN live like that here you know....it worked fine for quite some time.

However, yes, it seems a small minority of religious kooks have infiltrated Texas politics and I too would love them to go away. However....I do not want leftists like Beto and other big govt collectivist morons running the show, either.

Yes, it sucks when you feel like a homeless person in Texas politics today.
Well, it's not just a few "religious kooks, it's all the leaders of this state, which is what this post is about, who apparently DO care, because they are passing and proposing laws to legally prohibit people from doing those things.

And just curious, Ann Richards, the last Democrat to lead this state, was governor for 4 years. How many of your guns did she take? Barack Obama was president for 8 years. How many of your guns did he take? None. The answer is none.

And I know plenty of people who chose to not get the vaccine. How many laws have been passed proposing a $10,000 reward for anyone who turns them in? If a doctor refuses to vaccinate a person, are they charged with a felony punishable by life in prison and a $100,000 fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 02:19 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Well, it's not just a few "religious kooks, it's all the leaders of this state, which is what this post is about, who apparently DO care, because they are passing and proposing laws to legally prohibit people from doing those things.

And just curious, Ann Richards, the last Democrat to lead this state, was governor for 4 years. How many of your guns did she take? Barack Obama was president for 8 years. How many of your guns did he take? None. The answer is none.

And I know plenty of people who chose to not get the vaccine. How many laws have been passed proposing a $10,000 reward for anyone who turns them in? If a doctor refuses to vaccinate a person, are they charged with a felony punishable by life in prison and a $100,000 fine?

Ann Richards would not allow the citizens of Texas to vote on concealed carry. Yet she had armed guards protecting her. Obviously, guns are ok for her to have out in public, but not for us. This is the height of out of touch elitism, sorry.

Obama did not have time to enact gun control laws, because the 2010 mid-terms took such a large number of democrats out of Congress, he did not have the votes. It was totally a part of his platform, though. Also, Biden voted for Clinton's 1994 ban and is still blabbering about restricting gun rights, so the fear IS warranted. Biden is not going to pass any laws right now to restrict gun rights because he also faces huge losses in the mid terms and several democrats are in close races. They WOULD take them if they faced no opposition - lets not act like they are harmless on the gun rights issue.

Again, I am pro choice and don't care if you get abortions every month if you wish.

On the vaccines, there were many leftists that wanted to put the non-vaccinated into camps and many got fired because they refused to take a vaccine that proved to be not very effective.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:20 PM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

Great post. This state's politics have devolved so far from what they used to be. People with no connection able to collect bounties on others over something that is none of their business. Draconian, prohibitionist style drug laws. Guns for everyone regardless of mental state or training because given the lack of police, you'll certainly need them.

What the hell are we doing?!

Old 09-13-2022, 02:23 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Great post. This state's politics have devolved so far from what they used to be. People with no connection able to collect bounties on others over something that is none of their business. Draconian, prohibitionist style drug laws. Guns for everyone regardless of mental state or training because given the lack of police, you'll certainly need them.

Yes, Uvalde and the George Floyd riots prove that the cops are not going to protect you or your kids. LOL

Old 09-13-2022, 07:28 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,385,293 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlDWzN6TW5Y

Old 09-13-2022, 10:33 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,350,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
Sincere thanks to the folks who stayed on topic and replied to the original question

I was hoping for a discussion like here on Reddit where Alpha 7 writes:

Allow me for a moment to put all political, moral, spiritual, and ethical concerns aside and address the biggest issue that this ruling, and the subsequent passing of HB 1280, will bring forth. This is a death sentence to economic growth in TX.

DFW, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston will simply not be able to attract the talent for all the companies that call those cities home. Many businesses have relocated their corporate HQ's to these TX cities. In many cases with sweetheart deals for land and tax benefits. I don't think these benefits will matter much if business cannot attract workers from across the country. Remote work will not save us either. Why maintain empty offices in TX?

Ultimately, it makes TX a less attractive place to live. The optics of this are terrible.
Reddit is a garbage echo chamber. Says enough about you and the point of this stupid thread.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:32 AM

1,108 posts, read 529,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

You actually think a law to restrict a gun sale to a so called mentally ill person will stop them? You actually think the feds and the background checks they do now will improve if you add a so called mentally qualifications? You think they will stop a sale?

Sorry but it wont happen and wont stop the ill and criminals getting and using guns. Just more laws to make you feel good something is being done but no real impact. Now if we had capital punishment and life terms for criminals that use a gun that may have a effect and that is something Texas can actually do. Of course the cry baby ACLU and liberals would go nuts - buts that a good thing too.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:41 AM

573 posts, read 336,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
You actually think a law to restrict a gun sale to a so called mentally ill person will stop them? You actually think the feds and the background checks they do now will improve if you add a so called mentally qualifications? You think they will stop a sale?

Sorry but it wont happen and wont stop the ill and criminals getting and using guns. Just more laws to make you feel good something is being done but no real impact. Now if we had capital punishment and life terms for criminals that use a gun that may have a effect and that is something Texas can actually do. Of course the cry baby ACLU and liberals would go nuts - buts that a good thing too.
You clearly have not read a single sentence about the ACLU's stance on gun control.

100+ trained local, state, and federal law enforcement with 200+ more guns couldn't do anything to stop a single kid killing other kids in Uvalde. Not one single gun owner in all of Texas could stop a single kid from killing other kids in Uvalde, or the El Paso white supremacist, or etc....

I don't think that's a good thing.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:28 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
You clearly have not read a single sentence about the ACLU's stance on gun control.

100+ trained local, state, and federal law enforcement with 200+ more guns couldn't do anything to stop a single kid killing other kids in Uvalde. Not one single gun owner in all of Texas could stop a single kid from killing other kids in Uvalde, or the El Paso white supremacist, or etc....

I don't think that's a good thing.

100+ trained LEOs didn't, not couldn't, do anything to stop the Uvalde massacre.

A parent asked to borrow a gun and go in - he was rebuffed by police following orders to wait and wait and wait.

The Uvalde disaster will go down as a ringing tragedy - worsened by Chief Arredondo's fear of action.

______

Being in the, "right" place every time isn't going to happen but the fact is good guys and gals with guns end violent crime episodes all the time.

Old 09-14-2022, 09:10 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Being in the, "right" place every time isn't going to happen but the fact is good guys and gals with guns end violent crime episodes all the time.
There are a lot of major cities where Citizens only choice maybe to keep a firearm with them at all times. Legally or illegally.

Crime is out of control and they are not keeping the criminals in jails like they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas