Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 11:32 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,855 times

Advertisements

I love how the post dies, then resurrects, then dies, then resurrects....we're at page 149 now!

Plain and simple: DFW and Houston: Both are great. I prefer DFW, then Houston, then Austin, then San Antonio.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 43,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well, I wasn't talking about that but point taken as far as the traffic and crime. But I'm talking about shopping, museums, arts, sports, recreation. You have it in San Antonio and Austin. But you have more to choose from in Dallas and Houston. But it comes down to preference. I like my metros big. Practically over 5 million and only Dallas and Houston will do if I ever considered moving back to Texas.
I gotta dissagree with the recreation part of it. Downtown San Antonio is full of bars and restaurants. U also have Sea World and Fiesta Texas in San antonio between San Antonio and Austin u have Schlitterbaun water park which is one of the biggest and best in the country. U can go tubing on the guadalupe river where theres girls everywhere. Austin has sixth street with all the bars wildnightlife and live music. I would rather live in San Antonio or Austin anyday. But if I had to choose between H town or the big D it would be houston. I liked the zoo area there. But in all fairness I have friends in houston so I go visit more frequently than I do Dallas.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
A Dallas vs Houston density comparison is meaningless at this point in time. Houston has no real high density urban developments based around a rail system to speak of.

It's not like we're comparing density of NYC, Chicago or DC against Dallas here; it's only Houston.

Zoning and mass transit for starters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
LOL!!

Keep up the ill-informed posts. I'm loving them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dangerfield, stop with this preposterous rubbish already.
Matt and Angel, instead of throwing accusations and attacks; respond to the subject matter.

What in my original statement was 'ill-informed' or 'preposterous rubbish'?

Was it that I don't feel Houston's minutely higher ppsm density over Dallas is of relevance because neither city right now is considered a center of urbanism? Density numbers are best researched and understood before arbitrarily being used as some sort of advantage. Example, Las Vegas, NV averages appx. 1,000 more ppsm density than both Dallas and Houston; yet, outside of the Strip, LV is one of the most suburban looking 600,000+ resident cities I've ever visited, unwalkable with a below average bus system and no rail service (outside the tram on the Strip). All density numbers are not created equal.

If you have evidence to the contrary, present it, show me different, change my perception. It's called talking through s***, some even call it debating.

Again, respond to what you refute in my post, do not sling baseless attacks.

Last edited by First24; 03-29-2009 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Was it that I don't feel Houston's minutely higher ppsm density over Dallas is of relevance because neither city right now is considered a center of urbanism? Density numbers are best researched and understood before arbitrarily being used as some sort of advantage. Example, Las Vegas, NV averages appx. 1,000 more ppsm density than both Dallas and Houston; yet, outside of the Strip, LV is one of the most suburban looking 600,000+ resident cities I've ever visited, unwalkable with a below average bus system and no rail service (outside the tram on the Strip). All density numbers are not created equal.
OMG, Las Vegas is awful. I was stunned by how sterile and cookie-cutter it looked! And talk about your no trees! Yuck! Dallas is a veritable rainforest in comparison!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
OMG, Las Vegas is awful. I was stunned by how sterile and cookie-cutter it looked! And talk about your no trees! Yuck! Dallas is a veritable rainforest in comparison!
LOL, this is true. Vegas does have us beat for natural scenery though, Red Rock and Mt Charleston are some amazing spots.

PS.. I wasn't trying to bash Las Vegas; the city made for a good example of how density numbers can be deceiving.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Matt and Angel, instead of throwing accusations and attacks; respond to the subject matter.

What in my original statement was 'ill-informed' or 'preposterous rubbish'?

If you have evidence to the contrary, present it, show me different, change my perception. It's called talking through s***, some even call it debating.

Again, respond to what you refute in my post, do not sling baseless attacks.
This was the ill-informed part:

Quote:
Houston has no real high density urban developments based around a rail system to speak of.

You act like Houston is some step below Dallas, too, but the part I quoted is why I said you're ill-informed. You completely dismissed that part of your post. Not surprising at all.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
This was the ill-informed part:

[/b]You act like Houston is some step below Dallas, too, but the part I quoted is why I said you're ill-informed. You completely dismissed that part of your post. Not surprising at all.
Again, another sound byte without examples. Why do you feel my statement is 'ill-informed'? Name some high density developments built around rail stations in Houston. Tell me, show me, inform me... if you think I'm giving misinformation.

I do not feel Houston is a 'step below' Dallas. You like throwing catch phrases out there like; more density, more diverse and more international, without elaborating exactly how these things give an advantage. I'm simply calling you out on it.

Last edited by First24; 03-29-2009 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: added a comment

Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Again, another sound byte without examples. Why do you feel my statement is 'ill-informed'? Name some high density developments built around rail stations in Houston. Tell me, show me, inform me... if you think I'm giving misinformation.
Nope, I'm not giving you any. You go and research them. You decide to say that line out of nowhere, like you know Houston. But since I'm nice, I'll give you one, Houston Pavilions.

Quote:
I do not feel Houston is a 'step below' Dallas. You like throwing catch phrases out there like; more density, more diverse and more international, without elaborating exactly how these things give an advantage. I'm simply calling you out on it.
All are true and they can be an advantage to some people and more obvious reasons. You haven't called me out on anything. Your post made me laugh out loud. I loved it.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Nope, I'm not giving you any. You go and research them. You decide to say that line out of nowhere, like you know Houston. But since I'm nice, I'll give you one, Houston Pavilions.

All are true and they can be an advantage to some people and more obvious reasons. You haven't called me out on anything. Your post made me laugh out loud. I loved it.
Houston Pavillions. Really? LOL!

Angel, if I didn't find your jokes; err.. I mean, posts so entertaining, I'd probably place you on ignore.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Houston Pavillions. Really? LOL!
Seriously? Wow.

Quote:
Angel, if I didn't find your jokes; err.. I mean, posts so entertaining, I'd probably place you on ignore.
The truth hurts, so I guess ignoring it is the best option for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas