Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
...Here we go again!!!!!....The city did not foot the whole bill...The private sector plus TxDot pitched in...the bridge would have been built anyway.....if they did a plain old regular design like they would have...people wouldn't be screaming that it was non-functional. But we add a little something to look at and now it dosent function...HTown is always quick to accuse people of being jealous of Houston(which I never am)but that is exactly what the backlash of this bridge is. Trae713 I know you live here but you still have Houston homerism.
My apologies Trae...I misunderstood your post...You were talking about the electricity bill for the light show not the bill for building the bridge.I Take back what I said...sorry.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:34 AM

350 posts, read 867,913 times
Dallas has been building bridges across the Trinity since the 1800s. How else are we supposed to get across it? A tunnel? Just bulldoze the levees, build surface streets, and let downtown flood?

So the city chipped in enough to pay for a plain bridge. Private donors decided to pitch in and make it nicer. Why are so many people so offended by this?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:35 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
My apologies Trae...I misunderstood your post...You were talking about the electricity bill for the light show not the bill for building the bridge.I Take back what I said...sorry.
that's what jealously does to due, makes you misunderstand people's posts

and the Smackdown was removed in the title because there was too much name calling in this thread. We joke around and everything but Dallas people (not calling names) and one from Fort Worth (Not JJG ) loves calling people dumb or Ass when they cannot handle the commentary.

It is okay to joke around but lay off the personal attacks. It is already more peaceful now that some of the outsiders are not with us anymore. But Poster B, Poster C, Poster D and the two Poster K's calm your butts down and be more civilized like Houston Posters and JJG (His proximity to Houston helps his temperament a lot )

Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

and the Smackdown was removed in the title because there was too much name calling in this thread. We joke around and everything but Dallas people (not calling names) and one from Fort Worth (Not JJG ) loves calling people dumb or Ass when they cannot handle the commentary.

It is okay to joke around but lay off the personal attacks. It is already more peaceful now that some of the outsiders are not with us anymore. But Poster B, Poster C, Poster D and the two Poster K's calm your butts down and be more civilized like Houston Posters and JJG (His proximity to Houston helps his temperament a lot )
Thank you. I feel special now....

Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Thank you. I feel special now....
was talking about another JJG from FW who goes to School in Houston

Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Dallas has been building bridges across the Trinity since the 1800s. How else are we supposed to get across it? A tunnel? Just bulldoze the levees, build surface streets, and let downtown flood?

So the city chipped in enough to pay for a plain bridge. Private donors decided to pitch in and make it nicer. Why are so many people so offended by this?
As it's been stated before, the bridges aren't the issue, it's the over-the-top ornamentation that's tacky. There's nice, and then there's just ostentatious.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:41 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As it's been stated before, the bridges aren't the issue, it's the over-the-top ornamentation that's tacky. There's nice, and then there's just ostentatious.
I dont understand how this design is over the top...Its just strings and road.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Yes, you and the Houstonians have set a shining example in civility in this thread. You have NEVER name called or called anyone dumb, have you?

Plenty of people on both sides are guilty of going a little too far. Pot and Kettle and all of that...

Old 03-30-2012, 03:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Now you might say the Brooklyn Bridge is gaudy..but the MHH is very simplistic...less is more...

Besides I'm not sure anyone from Houston should be calling something in another town "tacky"!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Now you might say the Brooklyn Bridge is gaudy..but the MHH is very simplistic...less is more...

Besides I'm not sure anyone from Houston should be calling something in another town "tacky"!
ostentatious is code for "I'm jealous"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas