Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I will admit that both Houston and Dallas have above average number of asians living in their respective metropolitan areas, however, it's a known fact that the majority of the Asians in this country are concentrated in California...so California by far has the largest Asian communities. It's historical migration pattern. Hawaii is virtually mostly asian, and the California cities have hundred's of thousands in the city proper alone not including the greater metro areas of LA, San Fran, and San Diego.

NYC also has a high concentration as well.

I agree the Asian population in both Dallas and Houston have both grown..Houston particularly Ethnic Chinese from Vietnam...Dallas Korean population...but still the country as a whole lags way behind California's metro areas...but most Asians live in Calif or are concentrated in the NE part of the US.

Now having said all that, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston all have notable Asian populations that are noteworthy....now to the Houston people who will now start comparing the two....most Asians in Dallas do not live in Dallas proper...so the stats are misleading...but the point of the post is that the two Texas cities have notable populations, but no more so than a place like Chicago. Most of the Asians live in Cali and the West Coast with the other high concentration being in the Northeast.
Houston's Chinatown is the closest thing you'll get to SoCal when it comes to Asian population & density in the South. Nothing in D/FW even comes close.

I will add that the Metroplex has significantly larger Korean & Laos populations though where as Houston has more Vietnamese, Chinese, & Filipino.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
these are facts buddy, come on you know how to use the google search engine im sure your smart. so dont make it seem like im just making up stuff. i do research before i try to "argue" as u put so do me a favor and look it up your self like i did im not your parents. to your ur other points no dallas is not building, ive been to dallas recently except on 635 going to town east there is not much going on. the other highways are trash and im not gonna repeat myself do you even live in dallas? i dont think so, because i would see what i see just on saturday i met a few females at the club from dallas that come down just to party and they even said dallas is weak. when u have your people talkin about dallas its time to hang it up. your not even defending dallas your whinning about me not having sources, look man im a grown man i dont have to make nothing up. please look up everything i said because if not shut up
I'm not going to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man. All I can say is that your arguments are broad, ineffective, unfounded and the fact that you don't want take time out to prove your point with sources is lazy. Yeah I could look it up but your the plaintiff tryin to prove your case. And yes I live in Dallas and there is freakin construction all over the place. New developments, condos, etc. going in. So you met a couple of "females" as you put it (I don't refer to women like that because it makes them sound inferior like dogs or something) that said Dallas is weak. Wow way to drive it home buddy. That doesn't prove anything. Who's to say vice versa doesn't happen either? And for the record, your grammar really and truly does nothing to help your case and I'm not talking just punctuation. I'm talking blatant mistakes that educated people pay attention to. There are way too many things to address in your post but I don't care THAT much so I'll just leave at that for now.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:52 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times
I thought if Dallas had one thing going on right now, it was definitely building and construction. Even though they are overbuilding which will in turn drive up their vacancy rate! Way to go Dallas !

Old 02-03-2009, 04:44 PM

609 posts, read 2,922,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's Chinatown is the closest thing you'll get to SoCal when it comes to Asian population & density in the South. Nothing in D/FW even comes close.

I will add that the Metroplex has significantly larger Korean & Laos populations though where as Houston has more Vietnamese, Chinese, & Filipino.
Actually Houston does have more of what you say...and yes, Houston probably does lead the South overall (by 2000 census at least)...but DFW's asian population is a lot more than what most would acknowledge or give credit for and is right there behind Houston in Asian population. If you want to talk south, it'll prob. be Houston followed closely by DFW or vice versa...depending on where you draw the line on what you define as "Asian". As for Houston's old Chinatown...it's fast becoming a thing of the past making way for a much less dense Bellaire Blvd. Again, LA wrote the book on this type of Asian lay out making use of the strip mall instead. And both DFW and Houston pales in comparison to the likes of San Gabriel/Monterey Park, Roland Heights, West Covina, K-Town LA, Chinatown LA, etc.

So, greater Houston's absolute Asian population is 224,016 (includes south Asian Indians). Another source puts Houston's Asian population at roughly 175,000, or 30% of Texas' total Asian population...though I tend to believe the former statistic.

DFW's asian population is 230,580 with another source estimating as high as 414,000 (as the surge in South Asian population has fueled that). Again, what is defined as "asian"...talking chinese, japanese, or does that include other areas?

Keep in mind the last census only had the state of Texas at around 500,000 asians in 2000. So let's do the math...Houston accounts for 30% of the Asians in Texas. There is only one other large metropolitan area in Texas...Dallas....so it's natural for them to account for a good chunk of the rest with minor cities such as Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and El Paso accounting for probably a combined 100k at most.

I say this b/c I believe as I have said in previous posts that Houston and DFW both have lots of Asian people residing in their respective areas. Houston had lots of growth, and DFW is now ranked in the top 5 areas in the country for asian growth with a 37% annual growth rate.

DFW distributes its Asian areas differently...after all, it has 9200 sq miles of metro area....it covers more area than Greater Houston.

A lot of people will talk a/b Houston and its Asian population...rightfully so...it has certain asian populations that are very large...and it has the state's only Chinese consulate...I know b/c I go to China....and the state as a whole has lots of Asians relative to most states...and Bellaire is impressive as is the old Chinatown in houston...but I would argue that DFW has plenty of Asian options to satisfy Asians here as well...ranging from "huo guo"...(fire pot) restaurants to dim sum to several chinese, vietnamese, indian, and korean bakeries scattered throughout. We have several huge modern grocery stores including the national chain Super H mart and a local chinese/taiwanese favorite Asian World Market. In the "is there filipino food in the DFW area" post, you all can read about the different asian retail areas that DFW has to offer. Metro Matt also made a nice contribution to that post as well.

It's just details...but again we have lots of modern grocery stores in this area as well...we have several of the California chains including Lollicup and Yogurtland (the Korean inspired chain that has its exclusive location here)...
And I'm not going to argue that Houston doesnt have Texas exclusives either...like its Red Ribbon operation (may or may not still be open...havent checked on it in awhile), or other various offerings...but both have lots of options...and both relative to most states provides Asians and Asian Americans alike with lots of options that would satisfy multiple different ethnicities. I will give it to Houston for having more authentic Indonesian food than DFW...as historically Chinese Indonesian population migrated to Houston first...but DFW's as been growing as we now have several Chinese Indonesian churches in the area......but we sadly only have Lion City to brag about....which is more malay if anything...

Anyway, so DFW does have lots of Asians...it's not as far or ahead of Greater Houston as one would assume...Houston historically had the faster growth first...and is home to more consulates than DFW as a result...but overall...both areas have relatively large populations for being non california..and both continue to experience growth in this population demographic.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
im on the national honor society so im educated man its a blog were here to blog not whine over grammar and yea and yeah im doing it on purposre cuz i dont care and im tired of writing in formation it may be lazy but try writing essays and thesis statements every other day you would want a break too

Lovely. Enjoy Houston.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:20 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Actually Houston does have more of what you say...and yes, Houston probably does lead the South overall (by 2000 census at least)...but DFW's asian population is a lot more than what most would acknowledge or give credit for and is right there behind Houston in Asian population. If you want to talk south, it'll prob. be Houston followed closely by DFW or vice versa...depending on where you draw the line on what you define as "Asian". As for Houston's old Chinatown...it's fast becoming a thing of the past making way for a much less dense Bellaire Blvd. Again, LA wrote the book on this type of Asian lay out making use of the strip mall instead. And both DFW and Houston pales in comparison to the likes of San Gabriel/Monterey Park, Roland Heights, West Covina, K-Town LA, Chinatown LA, etc.

So, greater Houston's absolute Asian population is 224,016 (includes south Asian Indians). Another source puts Houston's Asian population at roughly 175,000, or 30% of Texas' total Asian population...though I tend to believe the former statistic.

DFW's asian population is 230,580 with another source estimating as high as 414,000 (as the surge in South Asian population has fueled that). Again, what is defined as "asian"...talking chinese, japanese, or does that include other areas?

Keep in mind the last census only had the state of Texas at around 500,000 asians in 2000. So let's do the math...Houston accounts for 30% of the Asians in Texas. There is only one other large metropolitan area in Texas...Dallas....so it's natural for them to account for a good chunk of the rest with minor cities such as Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and El Paso accounting for probably a combined 100k at most.

I say this b/c I believe as I have said in previous posts that Houston and DFW both have lots of Asian people residing in their respective areas. Houston had lots of growth, and DFW is now ranked in the top 5 areas in the country for asian growth with a 37% annual growth rate.

DFW distributes its Asian areas differently...after all, it has 9200 sq miles of metro area....it covers more area than Greater Houston.

A lot of people will talk a/b Houston and its Asian population...rightfully so...it has certain asian populations that are very large...and it has the state's only Chinese consulate...I know b/c I go to China....and the state as a whole has lots of Asians relative to most states...and Bellaire is impressive as is the old Chinatown in houston...but I would argue that DFW has plenty of Asian options to satisfy Asians here as well...ranging from "huo guo"...(fire pot) restaurants to dim sum to several chinese, vietnamese, indian, and korean bakeries scattered throughout. We have several huge modern grocery stores including the national chain Super H mart and a local chinese/taiwanese favorite Asian World Market. In the "is there filipino food in the DFW area" post, you all can read about the different asian retail areas that DFW has to offer. Metro Matt also made a nice contribution to that post as well.

It's just details...but again we have lots of modern grocery stores in this area as well...we have several of the California chains including Lollicup and Yogurtland (the Korean inspired chain that has its exclusive location here)...
And I'm not going to argue that Houston doesnt have Texas exclusives either...like its Red Ribbon operation (may or may not still be open...havent checked on it in awhile), or other various offerings...but both have lots of options...and both relative to most states provides Asians and Asian Americans alike with lots of options that would satisfy multiple different ethnicities. I will give it to Houston for having more authentic Indonesian food than DFW...as historically Chinese Indonesian population migrated to Houston first...but DFW's as been growing as we now have several Chinese Indonesian churches in the area......but we sadly only have Lion City to brag about....which is more malay if anything...

Anyway, so DFW does have lots of Asians...it's not as far or ahead of Greater Houston as one would assume...Houston historically had the faster growth first...and is home to more consulates than DFW as a result...but overall...both areas have relatively large populations for being non california..and both continue to experience growth in this population demographic.
Link your sources because, according to the Census, Houston's total Asian population is greater than DFW's. It's a reason why Houston's Caucasian population is at, I believe 43%, while DFW is at 54%.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:16 PM

609 posts, read 2,922,330 times
http://www.mdanderson.org/pdf/health_disparities_asana_cr_final.pdf (broken link) (using 2000 stats)...yes 8 years have gone by...but DFW's rate of asian growth has been bigger than Houston's....so will be interesting to see 2010.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/c2kbr01-16.pdf Now this report is misleading...b/c it's a known fact that most Asians in DFW do not live in DFW proper. In fact, 36,000 Chinese alone live within a 5 mile radius from Asian World Market.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:23 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
DFW Proper? So, they don't live in the metro area at all?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:32 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
The first post is two years old. It's kind of funny to think that a year from now this thread will probably still be going strong!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
DFW Proper? So, they don't live in the metro area at all?
I'm as perplexed by that statement as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas