Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 11:38 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,802,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Chicago is not known asuch as NY,LA AND SF to be honest. Miami is known more than Chicago internationally.
Great generalization! Do you have proof of this??? Have you travelled around the world and asked people what cities they knew in the US and what they didn't? Is that the first thing that comes to mind for you when you meet a foreigner? Or are you just making a bland generalization?

Don't you think it's safe to say all major US cities are well known by the average foreigner (by that, I mean those in the top 10)? I think you're just picking on Chicago for no apparent reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,462,641 times
Quote:
You'll find lots of openly homosexuals joined in congregations here at churches in Texas.
Wonder where Larry Craig goes to church now that he's out of the closet?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,744,861 times
texasguy1009/jluke65780,

Houston is ranked #34 among 75 of the world’s leading global cities that have an impact on the global economy
(New York#2, Chicago#5 , LA #17, S.F #28 respectively). To be frank, Houston has lots of potential to become one of the world's great cities, but
it's not there yet. Texas is a VERY important state and Houston, Dallas, Austin play a big part of it. Houston is the 4th largest
city in the U.S, but it will take time before Houston can be placed alongside the major players like New York, Chicago, L.A, San Francisco.

MasterCard Worldwide Centers of Commerce Indexâ„¢*| MasterCard

http://www.mastercard.com/us/company...eport_2008.pdf

World's Most Economically Powerful Cities - Forbes.com

Last edited by downtown1; 12-15-2008 at 02:03 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,967,201 times
Austin doesn't really play a big part in it. Only Houston and Dallas.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,241,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Great generalization! Do you have proof of this??? Have you travelled around the world and asked people what cities they knew in the US and what they didn't? Is that the first thing that comes to mind for you when you meet a foreigner? Or are you just making a bland generalization?

Don't you think it's safe to say all major US cities are well known by the average foreigner (by that, I mean those in the top 10)? I think you're just picking on Chicago for no apparent reason.
Actually it isn't safe to say. Chicago and Houston just don't have the international presence as LA,NY,AND SF.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 AM

20,521 posts, read 33,579,497 times
Quote:
Actually it isn't safe to say. Chicago and Houston just don't have the international presence as LA,NY,AND SF.
Yeah well..Chicago does.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 AM

20,521 posts, read 33,579,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
lol. epic fail. nice chicago trolling. Most foreigners know NY, SF, LA, maybe boston. I lived with some recent immigrants from china in Houston - they never even heard of chicago, but had been to SF/LA/NY.
For one. I am from Texas and I am not trolling just because I have a disagreement with you so kill that. Second off, I'm sure those cities would be more known for Chinese but I'm sure they have heard of it. On the other hand, most Europeans know of Chicago.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,241,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah well..Chicago does.
doubt it and so would people in foreign countries.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,811,140 times
Some people are just jealous. Some people just hate Texas. Worse, some people just hate Houston and Texas based on stereotypes they've heard, even though they've never visited.

Okay, okay, hate might be a strong word for some people. But you get the idea.

Houston, Austin, and Los Angeles are on my top three list of places to move to now (Houston's first, in fact, but after combing these forums I'm leaning more toward Austin.) I'll admit, though, a select few Texans can become quite nasty and inhospitable on this Forum when even the slightest negative thing is said about their state, so these individuals are bringing on the insults that are hurled at an entire state. Tell me, isn't Tejas a Native American (forget which tribe) word for friend? Isn't Texas the hospitality state? It's unfortunate, but if Texas, particularly Houston, is to shine in a "friendlier" light (couldn't find a better way to put it,) those people need to calm down. I NEVER see the volume nasty, sharp-cutting, or sarcastic insults on the L.A., N.Y.C., or Chicago forums that I see on the Houston forums.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,690,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Some people are just jealous. Some people just hate Texas. Worse, some people just hate Houston and Texas based on stereotypes they've heard, even though they've never visited.

Okay, okay, hate might be a strong word for some people. But you get the idea.

Houston, Austin, and Los Angeles are on my top three list of places to move to now (Houston's first, in fact, but after combing these forums I'm leaning more toward Austin.) I'll admit, though, a select few Texans can become quite nasty and inhospitable on this Forum when even the slightest negative thing is said about their state, so these individuals are bringing on the insults that are hurled at an entire state. Tell me, isn't Tejas a Native American (forget which tribe) word for friend? Isn't Texas the hospitality state? It's unfortunate, but if Texas, particularly Houston, is to shine in a "friendlier" light (couldn't find a better way to put it,) those people need to calm down. I NEVER see the volume nasty, sharp-cutting, or sarcastic insults on the L.A., N.Y.C., or Chicago forums that I see on the Houston forums.
Just keep in mind that most of these boys doing the cutting-down are still in or fresh out of high school, and they aren't even from Houston originally. Native Houstonians don't act like that, I assure you. We are friendly and welcoming, for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas