Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Lots of New Yorkers are like this.

As are alot of Texans!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 11:52 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
tolerate homosexuality,
They tolerate homosexuality in the privacy of their own mind but the words that come out are usually the other way. Recently some anti-gay Senators have turned out to be gay themselves.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:03 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times
Why do you think Chicagoans care about Houston?

I agree Houston is picked on a lot in these boards, but it comes from everyone from LA to NY, not just Chicago.

However, I am SO sick of these stupid "Will Houston city/metro surpass {add city name here}" threads started by Houstonians in hopes of starting debates. It's getting tiring.

BTW- I cannot comment on Houston until I've been there.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Why do you think Chicagoans care about Houston?

I agree Houston is picked on a lot in these boards, but it comes from everyone from LA to NY, not just Chicago.

However, I am SO sick of these stupid "Will Houston city/metro surpass {add city name here}" threads started by Houstonians in hopes of starting debates. It's getting tiring.

BTW- I cannot comment on Houston until I've been there.
I recall only one thread like that, and it was made in 2007 I believe, but was just resurrected.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:11 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
They tolerate homosexuality in the privacy of their own mind but the words that come out are usually the other way. Recently some anti-gay Senators have turned out to be gay themselves.
You'll find lots of openly homosexuals joined in congregations here at churches in Texas.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Just the opposite here.....most of the people I have met and still know in NYC are some of the nicest people you could meet. They are also the most tolerant and accepting people you could meet. I have found that they are very educated, so if you try and argue with them you better know your facts.
Same here. I have met many people from NYC and I've found that I could have a conversation with them much better than I can with the "hospitality Southerners." NYC people don't beat around the bush. They tell it like it is. They do not wait until you get to your point. They want you to make it already and be done with it. I love that. The many New Yorkers I met like to talk smack about Texas and I turned around and talked smacked with New Yorkers and they took it in stride. Never had a problem with New Yorkers.

They also didn't mind showing me around that great city.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:38 AM

395 posts, read 1,011,397 times
When you're the city who's up and coming hte most, with the best economy, every other city will gang up on you.

We've surpassed chicago in importance so it doesn't get bashed as much - but that's a good think in a way b/c it shows our importance.

Watch - I'll prove my very point when people start bashing this post! Oh...jealousy. And I too find it funny that all these people from California and NE and Chicago flock here in droves.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:50 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Same here. I have met many people from NYC and I've found that I could have a conversation with them much better than I can with the "hospitality Southerners." NYC people don't beat around the bush. They tell it like it is. They do not wait until you get to your point. They want you to make it already and be done with it. I love that. The many New Yorkers I met like to talk smack about Texas and I turned around and talked smacked with New Yorkers and they took it in stride. Never had a problem with New Yorkers.

They also didn't mind showing me around that great city.
That is exactly how my uncle and one of my co-workers are like.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
Besides cheap housing its charm escapes me. I like natural fresh water rivers, oceans with waves, snow topped mountains, etc. The topography and weather is just unpleasant to me.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillisProud View Post
Hey who really wants to cast stones at ANY state politician- They are all crooked. IL could have been ID, ID could have been NJ, NJ could have been AK, AK could have been.... you name it.

They all suck...

Now,
I think the trouble with Texas is the overt simi-solidarity it's citizens have for 'Texas'. Some simply love the state and it can do no wrong. Even the Texas DMV takes advantage of this with it's tag plate marketing.

This can annoy people, especially from places much nicer or perhaps richer than Texas. After living in several places, Texas one of them, I can say Texas is great and Texas flat out stinks. Much like any other place.

However there seems to be many a Texan who cannot see the last part, and that strikes some people as odd given the outside world's view of Texas, which is not at all kind.
This seems to be the answer to the OP's question.
Houston is friendlier, more interesting, more vibrant, with better scenery and weather than I expected before moving here. The rest of the country paints Houston with a "Dubya" mentality and expects we have cactus and cowboys everywhere. Simply not true. However, Houstonians are tired of the misconception and maybe just a wee bit defensive (so pull out the "Texas pride" a little too loudly) on these forums.
Houston is WONDERFUL in many ways. It also has some problems... just like NYC, just like Chicago, etc.
That said, why don't "ya'll" come visit and see for yourself how wonderful Houston is?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas