Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 09:04 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I currently live in Wisconsin, and I really want to relocate south. What are the best places in Texas for families?
There are many areas in Texas for families. It's a big state. Do you have a certain region in mind?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1

Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
God help us all.
Or you can get use to it. All of the urban core cities and counties are becoming more liberal or shall I say, moderate.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Interesting thread on several levels.

I've noticed all over the net that there seems to be a decided animosity toward Texas. Part of it is probably because of George Bush, most all of it is from Liberal posters so to a certain extent - it's politically motivated, just as the article about "worst state" is politically motivated. It's also that Texas is growing, Texas produced nearly 80% of ALL new jobs in the USA last year and that Texas has a strong economy. People are losing their jobs all over the country and that's not really happening here. Understandable that others would feel some animosity toward us. They know we are different, they just don't understand why.

So ... we get stuff like this.

Quote:
There are some things not to be too proud of there, "Don't mess with Texas!" and all.
and after the explaination that it's an anti-litter campaign (surely a laudable thing to any Californian ) we get this ..
Quote:
And I'm not getting my panties in a bunch over the "Don't Mess with Texas" I knew its history and was just incorporating it as a part of my overall exaggerated outsiders view of the culture of your state.
Pretty much explains it all.

As to the population growth - we've always had that. It's gets a bit heavier in times of stress to the other states, but companies come to Texas because of the tax structure and business friendly attitude, the business brings jobs and people. The last big jump we had was when Carter was President and unemployment was high around the country - it wasn't as noticeable then because we didn't have the internet to discuss all this stuff but they sure came. We bought a home in a new neighborhood and we were the only native Texans on our street in 1980.

They didn't change us then, and they won't change us this time either. Texas has been mostly Democratic with 39 Dem Governors and only 6 Republican Governors. We did quite a "flip flop" based mostly on the corruption of the savings and loan scandals - that experience is really why the Texas banks and real estate are in better shape that a lot of the country.
Some lessons take better than others - we've been down this banking crisis road before and used stronger criteria on loans. To be fair - we don't have a large ACORN presence in Texas, or at least we didn't before this last election.

I think most Texans welcome anyone who wants to come here for better opportunities for themselves and their family. We've always welcomed those people, few of them every go back to where they came from.

Texas is a state of mind - we can't blame those who have never experienced it, we should just ignore the ignorance, they can't help themselves.

K

Old 02-28-2009, 01:03 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,534,336 times

Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,316 times
I read another survey on the airplane that said inthecut was a troll. Thanks for survey results. I could care less about your survey or lack of intellect. Now go outside and play - stay clear of the traffic.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:24 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,534,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Interesting thread on several levels.

I've noticed all over the net that there seems to be a decided animosity toward Texas. Part of it is probably because of George Bush, most all of it is from Liberal posters so to a certain extent - it's politically motivated, just as the article about "worst state" is politically motivated. It's also that Texas is growing, Texas produced nearly 80% of ALL new jobs in the USA last year and that Texas has a strong economy. People are losing their jobs all over the country and that's not really happening here. Understandable that others would feel some animosity toward us. They know we are different, they just don't understand why.

So ... we get stuff like this.

and after the explaination that it's an anti-litter campaign (surely a laudable thing to any Californian ) we get this ..
Pretty much explains it all.

As to the population growth - we've always had that. It's gets a bit heavier in times of stress to the other states, but companies come to Texas because of the tax structure and business friendly attitude, the business brings jobs and people. The last big jump we had was when Carter was President and unemployment was high around the country - it wasn't as noticeable then because we didn't have the internet to discuss all this stuff but they sure came. We bought a home in a new neighborhood and we were the only native Texans on our street in 1980.

They didn't change us then, and they won't change us this time either. Texas has been mostly Democratic with 39 Dem Governors and only 6 Republican Governors. We did quite a "flip flop" based mostly on the corruption of the savings and loan scandals - that experience is really why the Texas banks and real estate are in better shape that a lot of the country.
Some lessons take better than others - we've been down this banking crisis road before and used stronger criteria on loans. To be fair - we don't have a large ACORN presence in Texas, or at least we didn't before this last election.

I think most Texans welcome anyone who wants to come here for better opportunities for themselves and their family. We've always welcomed those people, few of them every go back to where they came from.

Texas is a state of mind - we can't blame those who have never experienced it, we should just ignore the ignorance, they can't help themselves.

K
You're right friend...I've seen posts about Texas becoming more liberal because of people coming from places like New York and California. The truth is that people have been coming out of state for sometime...many of them to escape the shenanigans of left wingers and their high taxes and corruption. Do republicans have their dealings with corruption? Of course, but I think we can all agree that the most notoriously corrupt governments...The City of Chicago, The State Government of New Jersey, etc...are Democrat powers. One way that Democrats can turn Texas Democrat (I hate saying Blue because Blue is my favorite Color) is by granting amnesty to illegal aliens and helping more come in.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:18 AM

367 posts, read 1,024,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I currently live in Wisconsin, and I really want to relocate south. What are the best places in Texas for families?
It really depends on what your needs are. You can pretty much move anywhere in texas that are family friendly. Our kids are grown so we made this last move on our own but the kids are already talking about following us. I live in Grand Prairie, right on the Arlington border. I love being near everything, especially with the cost of fuel, but this is just our starting point. We just bought a little over an acre in Granbury, which is a little over an hour from here and we just fell in love with the place. We have access to the lake, the town has all of the amenities we could hope for and if we think we can afford to go to the mall, the closest I think is in Fort Worth, about 30 minutes away. We saw that a lot of retiree's were going to Granbury so it was perfect for us to build a small home there. Good Luck and if you want more info, send me a direct message and I'll see about getting you more informatioon.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:24 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Or you can get use to it. All of the urban core cities and counties are becoming more liberal or shall I say, moderate.
That's like asking me to get used to the humidity. I can't do it. Actually, I prefer the humidity over the liberals.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
That's like asking me to get used to the humidity. I can't do it. Actually, I prefer the humidity over the liberals.
lol. I like a place that's moderate. Not to conservative, not to liberal. I am glad that Texas cities are not longer super conservative anymore. But I don't want it to become super liberal either. There are some great aspects of both ideas.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
lol. I like a place that's moderate. Not to conservative, not to liberal. I am glad that Texas cities are not longer super conservative anymore. But I don't want it to become super liberal either. There are some great aspects of both ideas.
I can't say what it's like in other states because I've always lived in Texas. Here - we tend to start "throwing the bums out" regardless of party, when we don't like what they are doing. That's exactly how Tom Craddick lost his job as speaker. These career politicians hold this power from their own districts so the only way to get rid of them is to vote for the other party ... that's what we do when we have to.

Balance is what works - when the power is concentrated too much in one side, we all suffer. We are all basically after the same thing - a good life for ALL of us, we don't want a state income tax, the higher property taxes and good business community is the trade off for that. The trick is to make sure that none of them get so comfortable in their jobs that they forget who gave them those jobs.

Texas is a pretty good mix of both Dem and Republican - don't forget that we've had 39 Democratic governors and only 6 Republican governors in our history. It would serve our politicians well to remember that also. Texas is not, and will never be, a "nanny state" - but we tend to try and take care of our own and have a lot of community involvement to work on social problems.

It's a good place to live, a good place to raise a family.

K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas