Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Note: The "Californicators" do that to every state they decide to invade enmasse....before you know it real estate prices have tripled, nanny laws are everywhere, and they are telling YOU how things go. As I mentioned before, Texas ran itself quite nicely 160 years before they came.
A friend of mine, a former military brat who consider Texas home but now lives in the Pacific Northwest, told me the same is happening to both Portland and Seattle.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:06 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
I know its so PC, but, lets remember that Texas USED to be Mexico way back when.....in a sense, we are squatting on THIER turf...
I though we paid them for Texas.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
It doesn't matter how long someone was something. Even if they just want to sit on the ground here, I'm ok. The SECOND they cost me a cent of my tax money or start commiting crimes, that's a problem. And that has nothing to do with who 'owns the land.' That has to do with sucking on the government.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM

492 posts, read 962,066 times
Quote:
I know its so PC, but, lets remember that Texas USED to be Mexico way back when.....in a sense, we are squatting on THIER turf...
No. Not in any sense of the idea is anyone in Texas squatting on Mexico turf. That deal was settled quite some time ago, even long before the bleeding bung UN cared where the Rio Grande flows.

And way back when Tejas was a part of Coahuila there weren't a bunch of bleeding bung Kali's invading to drive up property values and make changes.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
The overall reaction to this thread is interesting to an outsider who peruses many other states threads just to get a feel of what is going on there and its residents views of things. You are all quickly glancing up to my info to note I am an evil and commie loving Californian and I expect to be immediately attacked here but where does this "thou shall never speak badly of Texas" come from? I'll go ahead and say it just to get fury going. Some of you really have a chip on your shoulder.
It seems you certainly have every right to be boastful and proud of your state, from its strong independent spirit and history to an economy that is holding up better than many, dynamic cities and beautiful natural resources from the hill country to the plains, but its not perfect. I mean, I love many aspects of my home and chosen state (lone star eyes roll here) but there are slices of it that are just as bad as many of you would ascribe to the whole state- just as there are areas and aspects of your state that are just as bad as many of us outsiders perhaps unfairly ascribe to the whole of it as well.
Some of those statistics of the OP, outdated and perhaps questionable as they may be, would certainly seem to warrant an examination to how the state got to where its at and how one might improve upon it. There are some things not to be too proud of there, "Don't mess with Texas!" and all. I keep reading it is all the fault of the outsiders, immigrants and those who don't immediately praise "the glory that is Texas". If anyone dares to points out any faults in your state they need to immediately move on. Is it part of the school curriculum down there or just indoctrinated by passed down generation by generation? Yeah, I'm exaggerating a bit but come on, lighten up.
In this economy there are aspects that are extremely challenging to the large states, California is on the brink and we are all nervous about the future here. Just because I love my little slice of heaven that I have been lucky to find and create here would never mean that I wouldn't acknowledge the challenges and negatives of my city and state that might be improved upon.
Let the wacko, outsider California bashing begin.

Cheers Y'all
nah! no bashing required. Our state is perfect because we're not complaining. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to us, it is perfect. We have problems like everyone else but we accept that and strive to make it better. We are also a close-knit state who reaches out to everyone...even perfect strangers. guess what? Those perfect strangers are no longer strangers but friends.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:53 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
The worst thing is when the north "Discovered" the south again, per the sunbelt, and started moving enmasse, from Florida to all points west......
add the huge influx of aliens/unskilled, and you have quite a redefinition of the "South"

The next best thing to do than is to simply get over it. They are going to keep coming whether anyone likes it or not.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Note: The "Californicators" do that to every state they decide to invade enmasse....before you know it real estate prices have tripled, nanny laws are everywhere, and they are telling YOU how things go. As I mentioned before, Texas ran itself quite nicely 160 years before they came.
Wow. And why do we let them??

Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Well, expect more Californians very soon. They just passed another bill there to make doctors' lives miserable. Hey, at least we're getting more medical professionals.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
A friend of mine, a former military brat who consider Texas home but now lives in the Pacific Northwest, told me the same is happening to both Portland and Seattle.
http://www.caltradereport.com/eWebPhotos/calgov1a.jpg (broken link)

Also, I think we forget how powerful California is as a force in this country....not only do they set the trends, and very big ones, mind you, from Tax propositions to Emissions standards, along with the ephemera and fads, but they economically, at least till very recently, set standards as well, with silicon valley seeding the entire national and international tech industry....need I mention Hollywood, or the fact that the largest manufacturing base in the USA is in Southern California? Even nondescript San Diego leads in Biotechnology......the entire national conservation movement essentially came out of California.....same with the anti-smoking in public places movement....the national Republican party redefined itself from Orange County....think Nixon and Reagan......

Now, that being said, and, considering the fact that California has the largest population in the USA, is it any wonder the force that emanates
from the state when the residents decide to emigrate enmasse? You can be absolutely guaranteed that if your state is on expatriate California-radar, and they are focused, they will transform your state wholesale....
hasn't ever NOT happened to this date.....Colorado, possibly more than any other state, was entirely remade after the California swarm......

Now, Texas feels that headwind.....you can best bet that it won't be the same after....

P.S........as a little aside, the state itself may be dying........fiscally, it seems to have trouble even maintaining basic state gov't functions.....people
are leaving the place enmasse......and taking their money with them......almost seems like the sci-fi stories, when humans leave earth to seed other planets after it becomes uninhabitable/blows up...

Here is the "People's Governor's" website......for laughs........don't see a countdown state implosion clock on the site just yet...

[SIZE=4]Gov. Schwarzenegger [/SIZE]

Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I though we paid them for Texas.

We did....there was a "treaty of Hildago" something or other.....after the fact thing.....just Mexico recognizing there was no way in hell they could control their posssessions north of the Rio.....word was they were not pleased that Grande was the new border, and wanted it moved farther up.........Keep in mind Zachary Taylor was kicking butt and taking names in those days, and brooked little sympathy for anyone at that point, hispanic or anglo.......

Fact is, the wars draw boundaries, and winners define them......

Last edited by inthecut; 02-27-2009 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas