Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
The post was a obituary for the Texas we all love. Something needs to be done to save this great state as well as the rest of the nation.
My opinion on all this? I don't think any state, no matter how great beforehand, can withstand great and quick amounts of growth without it
being a net albatross....from services, to traffic, state benefits, education, etc.....now, you add the fact that much of the growth is of the uneducated/unskilled, and you exacerbate the problems. The real question is, what quality of growth is Texas getting, can its infrastructure really withstand the same, and is it necessarily a great thing? Would it not be better to have a slow, but top notch growth, measured, with quality added into the mix?
I think its just too fast, too unplanned, and could be a great prob if the state ends up hitting a hard recession wall in the next year or two.

Last edited by inthecut; 02-26-2009 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
The time I lived in Austin was marked by sadness when I discovered most of the people I met were originally from California. They moved there because it was cool, but changed it as soon as they could.

Now, the music stops at midnight. There's no such thing as a dirty, smoky bar. Austin is a shell of its former self. And it's happening in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio too. The alien hordes are turning our once great state into something other than what it is meant to be.

RIP Texas.
Note: The "Californicators" do that to every state they decide to invade enmasse....before you know it real estate prices have tripled, nanny laws are everywhere, and they are telling YOU how things go. As I mentioned before, Texas ran itself quite nicely 160 years before they came.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's awesome here. The only problem is the illegals.
I know its so PC, but, lets remember that Texas USED to be Mexico way back when.....in a sense, we are squatting on THIER turf...

Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Not that I ever cared that much about what the country at large thinks - I'd rather not preoccupy myself with the stereotypes held by ignorant people - but being that we're in a recession I'd just as soon the unemployed people stay unemployed wherever they are. Enough people are here looking for work here as it is. Which is why I'm not exactly rolling out the red carpet for the huddled masses on the Internet, making things look like this is the land of milk and honey. There are bigger things than image and trying to overtake California as the country's most populous state.
Just a hint as to where fast and huge state growth leads...look at California......the state is fiscally imploding, and a huge chunk of that comes from the overburdening of state services, and just plain too many uneducated people..........and that could easily be Texas in 5-8 years....
bursting at the seams per state services and infrastructure....asking for help from the Feds.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
as to texas and the rest, DC and los pinos have operated an under the table NAFTA for 30 years. we are way over stocked.
we stopped doing tired poor and hungry and started doing unemployable violent and criminally inclined..
signed a former texas resident

Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It's very simple. Draw a line from 10 miles north of Laredo across to ten miles north of Corpus. Now take that part out of the statistics and we are top ten in everything. Areas such as the Valley and Laredo are a whole different world. These areas skew the numbers. Contributing to the poverty of these areas is Austin's policy of ignoring issues south of I-10. Politicians from the border region are very corrupt and living off of handouts is almost encouraged. There is no state in America that is in this situation.
And goes to prove what a crock stats are.....they lump everything in one big, undifferentiated batch, like a gumbo, and expect that to mean something. Keep in mind the size, population and geographical, of Texas as well......

Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Don't feel bad y'all, the rest of the South is being changed for the worse as well. Virginia, Georgia and the Carolinas are going the fastest and it's a cryin damn shame. I'm wanting to move to Texas so I guess that makes me a transplant but at least I would fit in to the Texas culture and not try to change it.
The worst thing is when the north "Discovered" the south again, per the sunbelt, and started moving enmasse, from Florida to all points west......
add the huge influx of aliens/unskilled, and you have quite a redefinition of the "South"

Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
I know its so PC, but, lets remember that Texas USED to be Mexico way back when.....in a sense, we are squatting on THIER turf...

Texas was only part of Mexico for 15 years.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Texas was only part of Mexico for 15 years.

Correct, because Mexico was only independent itself for 15 years before the Alamo.....and it was weak because of the same.....the real power was spain, and as they bailed, and took away their protection, Mexico was relatively powerless, and just ripe for the pickings.....
Actually, Texas, before its short republic period, and the 15 years of Mexican rule, was a part of New Spain for 300+ years.......some folks in New Mexico can trace their ancestry to those New Spain gentry.........
Texas' land was considered marginal for farming, so was the most barren part of New Spain for those 300 years, though there was SOME ranching,
which is where the tradition of ranching in the area originally came from..

Old 02-26-2009, 12:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
And the Mexicans/New Spain government didn't want to deal with the Apaches and Comanches so they let the settlers from the USA in and even encouraged them at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas