Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 PM

80 posts, read 108,128 times

Advertisements

Yes, I remeber both water parks, neither were in Midland, both in Odessa. One on east highway 80 by the Odessa Country Club and one on US 385 north of Odeaas in Ector County. None in Midland that I remeber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 PM

Last I remember the only thing Midland has for the children in Midland is one rat infested movie theater.

There is only one movie theater and they had to close at one point because of safety issues due to pest infestation according to Midland Reporter News. See link below for a link to that article.

http://mywesttexas.com/articles/2009/01/19/news/top_stories/doc4970f8d4a5b05363349042.txt

Please update if things have changed in Midland.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:17 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Odessan in Austin View Post
Last I remember the only thing Midland has for the children in Midland is one rat infested movie theater.

There is only one movie theater and they had to close at one point because of safety issues due to pest infestation according to Midland Reporter News. See link below for a link to that article.

http://mywesttexas.com/articles/2009/01/19/news/top_stories/doc4970f8d4a5b05363349042.txt

Please update if things have changed in Midland.
There was another theater off 250 that closed. Big Sky is another theater open off Business 20. There is a movie theater under construction off the Andrews HWY beside the sports complex.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
There was another theater off 250 that closed. Big Sky is another theater open off Business 20. There is a movie theater under construction off the Andrews HWY beside the sports complex.
Big Sky is a drive in theater on highway 80 west of Midland. Please provide links to the new theater you say is under construction, because I am fairly certain that there is not a new theater under constuction at this time, maybe planned for but not under construction.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Big Sky is a drive in theater on highway 80 west of Midland. Please provide links to the new theater you say is under construction, because I am fairly certain that there is not a new theater under constuction at this time, maybe planned for but not under construction.
It is part of the new retail center being built. The land has been cleared and a fleet of construction equipment is on-site. A building has been erected, but I think it is adjacent to the property and not part of that development.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:37 PM

384 posts, read 1,669,911 times
Default Cool

Quote:
It is part of the new retail center being built. The land has been cleared and a fleet of construction equipment is on-site. A building has been erected, but I think it is adjacent to the property and not part of that development.
What else is coming, do you know?!

Pam

Old 08-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You are talking about this proposed development and it has not been started yet and probably never will be.

http://www.reatarealestate.com/properties_PDF/MidlandRetail.pdf (broken link)

This was in the original post of this thread.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
You are talking about this proposed development and it has not been started yet and probably never will be.

http://www.reatarealestate.com/properties_PDF/MidlandRetail.pdf (broken link)

This was in the original post of this thread.
You obviously haven't been to that area lately. The project has already broken ground. The only two tenants I've heard of are an AMC movie theater and an outdoor/sporting goods store (cant remember the name).

Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times
I really don't know why Hero's closed but it could have something to do with the fact that Odessa built a number of small water parks in city parks around the city. That could have reduced demand for Hero's. Also the park was just getting older and maintenance cost may have gotten too high to keep it open. Another theory of mine is that outside interest purchased the park. It is not uncommon for outsiders to buy facilities in Mildand/Odessa and then not really understand how to keep them profitable.

Examples would include the old Rexene facility that always made money until Huntsman bought it. Rexene understood that the plant must make high quality specialty polymers. When I worked there Rexene had a large R&D department and could command premium prices for its products. Under Huntsman the plant gradually transitioned to commodity grade products and the R&D was moved to The Woodlands. Eventually it became clear that that was no way to compete with large manufacturers in Asia and around the world. Huntsman also overpaid for the facility. They wanted it badly and let pride get in the way. Next Flint Hills bought the plant and has decided to close it. I do not understand why they would do this. Either they didn't do their homework, or its a huge tax write off.

Now a local has managed to get some investors together to save part of the plant. I worked with this man and I am proud of him for his efforts.

Also the old Vaughn building in Midland is an example. This building was sold absolute at auction. I ( along with some investors) planned to low ball and get the building cheap to renovate it into residential condos. But a California company came in and bought it for way too much money. Now they don't have the funds to renovate so it sits empty. Another example of not doing their homework.

If any company from outside Midland/Odessa is wishing to invest in the area, please contact me first. I would be happy to consult for a reasonable fee.

I don't know if Hero's fell into the same trap of paying too much and not understanding the local market, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

The new development on 191 is under construction now as tgannaway89 has said.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 PM

384 posts, read 1,669,911 times
Default interesting!

Thank you Lucidus and tgannaway--it is nice to hear from people who live here and have accurate information! Please keep us posted on the new businesses coming! Midland is definately growing---with all the new pharmacies and the expansion of the hospital--is this a sign of more retirees coming or staying here?

Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas