Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:30 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,307 times

Advertisements

"Small" would be the operative word.If the mountains around Austin are termed the Hill Country,then the ones around Abilene are better termed mounds,or veerry small hills.I go through them all the time.In relation to what I am used to in the Hill Country they barely register as such.But in relation to the otherwise flatland around them,I guess they qualify at a local level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan
"Small" would be the operative word.If the mountains around Austin are termed the Hill Country,then the ones around Abilene are better termed mounds,or veerry small hills.I go through them all the time.In relation to what I am used to in the Hill Country they barely register as such.But in relation to the otherwise flatland around them,I guess they qualify at a local level.
Right on. Depends on what you're comparing it to. As in all things. I, being from FL (around Tampa/Clearwater), a very flat area and coming to Texas, expecting the flatest plains... was pleasantly suprised to find these hills. I asked when I got here, "...are these referred to as mountains or hills?" The few I spoke with said they called 'em mountains. I have to say, I'm not afraid to drive on it, so in my case... my home in Baird is probably a hill... But it's the highest dang hill I ever lived on!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 10:43 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Default Abilene vs. San Angelo

I lived in both cities while in the Air Force back in the 70's and I liked San Angelo better. It also has a nicer lake (Nasworthy).

Old 09-02-2006, 01:20 AM

47 posts, read 376,277 times
I have spent the majority of my life living in Abilene. I have always paid attention to the city and how it has evolved and I feel that I have a pretty good grasp on what it means to live in Abilene.

First of all, I'd like to say that Abilene is about as good as you're going to get in west Texas. There truly is not much to do in west Texas when one compares these cities to large metropolitan areas such as Austin, DFW, Houston, San Antonio, etc. It honestly isn't fair to compare them to such vast and dense urban giants. What Abilene does have is a self-contained environment that allows people to live and thrive in a community large enough to support amenities offered in much larger cities, but small enough that it's hard to go anywhere without seeing someone you know.

Abilene has: 2 Wal-Mart Supercenters (1 brand new), 1 HEB, 2 Albertson's, several Uniteds, one mall, 1 airport, 3 hospitals, 2 school districts, 3 high schools, 3 universities, 1 community college, 1 technical college, the HQ of First Financial Bank, the HQ of Tige Boats, more museums per person than any city other than Houston, hundreds of great restaurants (2 Chili's, Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, Logan's Roadhouse, Texas Roadhouse, Johnny Carino's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Outback, Red Lobster, Abuelo's, TaMolly's, Red Robin, Spaghetti Warehouse, Zookini's, Mr. Gatti's [largest game room in west Texas], and Cotton Patch stick out at the top of my mind as far as chains go. Local standouts include Joe Allen's BBQ, Perini Steakhouse in Buffalo Gap [they catered the President's inaugeral dinner], Cahoot's Catfish, Cypress Street Station, Copper Creek, and many others. Fast food is ample: 6 McDonald's, 6 Burger Kings, 1 Wendy's, 3 Dairy Queens, 4 Sonics, 3 Whataburgers, 3 Chick-fil-A's, 2 Chicken Express, 4 Taco Buenos, 4 Taco Bells, 2 Golden Chicks, 3 Church's Chicken, 1 KFC, and 4 Pizza Huts.) There is also a large and modern Civic Center downtown, the Taylor County Expo Center in east Abilene (hosts Texas High School Rodeo State Championship and many other large statewide events), and a charming zoo with hundreds of animals including giraffes, elephants, monkeys, bears, bison, lions, and hyenas. You won't find a better zoo in west Texas.

Shopping, you have a lot of choices.
Mall of Abilene (southwest Abilene) - Dillard's (2), Sears, JCPenney, Best Buy, Books-A-Million, Steve and Barry's College Sportswear, American Eagle Outfitters, The Gap Outlet, Limited Too, Pac Sun, Aeropostale, Wet Seal, Express, The Buckle, Kirkland's, Hallmark, Claire's, Gamestop, Christopher & Banks, Spencer's, Hot Topic, Chuck E Cheese, a 10-screen stadium seat theater, and several restaurants
The Shops at Abilene (southwest Abilene, north of mall) - Bed Bath & Beyond, Michael's, Petsmart, Goody's, Old Navy, Lane Bryant, Shoe Carnival, Cold Stone Creamery, Payless Shoes, and Dunlap's to name a few

There are several theaters in town:
Century 12, Park Central 6, Premiere 10 (in the mall), the Town & Country Drive-in (2 screens), and the Westwood twin.

Schools:
Abilene ISD - 2 High schools (Abilene High, Cooper High), 5 middle schools (Madison, Clack, Lincoln, Franklin, Mann - Franklin and Lincoln will be consolidated into new Craig MS within 2 years), and roughly 16 elementary schools as well as an alternative HS and several special-needs campuses.
Wylie ISD - take in south Abilene - 1 High school (Wylie HS - 2004 3A State Champion Football Team), 1 Jr High, 1 Middle School, and several elementary schools.

Dyess AFB is the heartbeat of the city. Located in west Abilene, it is the city's single largest employer and a source of great civic pride. It is home to the C-130 transport and the B-1B Lancer. The base is currently receiving new housing, has just opened a new Gym and BX, and is getting a facelift for its aging AISD elementary school.

Major Hotel chains in town include:
Days Inn, Hampton Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites (u/c), Comfort Suites, Comfort Suites & Convention Center (u/c), Hilton Garden Inn (u/c), 2 Holiday Inn Express, MCM Elegante Suites, Courtyard by Marriot, Fairfield Inn, Best Western, Best Western Inn & Suites, 2 Super 8 (1 u/c), Howard Johnson (u/c), La Quinta Inn, and many more.

The Abilene Regional Airport has several daily flights to DFW and Houston via American Eagle and Continental Connection, respectively, as well as flights direct to Las Vegas twice weekly via Allegient Airlines. Inside the terminal is a brand new sports bar and gift shop.

Other than that, Abilene is just an all-around easy city to live in. Just try to ignore the overbearing Christians that can sometimes infiltrate your life here. Traffic is never bad, and the "rush hour" usually lasts about 30 minutes. Commuting is a breeze. Any other questions or comments or anything, just drop me a line.

By the way, I now live in Austin and attend UT. I love Austin and think it's a great town, but it's just not like West Texas, where everything feels like home.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:58 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,389 times
westtexan 87---This is just the kind on info. I am looking for! Maybe I am not interested in Abilene, but the info you included: Type stores, airport info. I would like to see people describe whatever city, just like you did. If I were moving to Abilene, this would be very helpful.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:30 AM

Update on Abilene: some more good business news:

Rezoning request passes P&Z board; now goes to Abilene City Council

By Sarah Kleiner Varble / kleiners@reporternews.com
September 7, 2006

A new Lowe's home improvement center is expected to open on Interstate 20 near the burgeoning region around the Wal-Mart Supercenter, a local developer said.

Kenneth L. Musgrave said Wednesday he is weeks away from finalizing a deal with Lowe's to open a second home improvement store in Abilene.

On Tuesday, the city's Planning and Zoning Commission recommended approving a zoning change for the plot of land where Lowe's is expected to build. The request will be sent to the Abilene City Council for consideration.

''This is very credible and good news for Abilene,'' Musgrave said.

The Lowe's at 4134 Ridgemont Drive will not close, Musgrave and the store's manager said.

A Lowe's spokeswoman said company policies prohibited her from discussing future stores until the agreements are finalized.

The store is expected to span 117,000 square feet, Musgrave said.

Musgrave said the new Lowe's likely will spark another wave of development along Interstate 20 near State Highway 351. A major theater and several other retailers are inquiring about land in the area, he said.

Abilene's second Wal-Mart Supercenter opened a year ago at the intersection of I-20 and Highway 351. Cracker Barrel and Chili's have added to the development, which Musgrave spearheaded.

Musgrave also has plans for a storage facility for boats and recreational vehicles on Highway 351 east of East Lake Road. Construction could begin in the next 45 days.

At a glance

A new Lowe's home improvement center is expected to begin construction along Interstate 20 in the few months. The site is east of the Wal-Mart Supercenter development at the intersection of I-20 and Highway 351.

*This will be the first city in west Texas to have 2 Lowe's. This may seem like a sad accomplishment, but out here, new stuff is a status symbol. Lubbock and Amarillo each have one, as do Midland, Wichita Falls and San Angelo. Odessa doesn't have one at all! Abilene now boasts a Lowe's and a Home Depot, both on the southwest side of town. A Lowe's on the northeast side would do wonderfully and should lead to rapid development in the area.*

Old 09-09-2006, 11:50 AM

363 posts, read 2,019,617 times
How exciting. We have nuch at stake in that area. Thanks for all the great information.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:24 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Default Be Looking for a 2nd Home Depot in Abilene

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexan87 View Post
Update on Abilene:...*This will be the first city in west Texas to have 2 Lowe's...
Be on the lookout for a second Home Depot not to far away. Here in San Antonio they are competing big time. I think Home Depot is ahead.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I assumed they were in heavy competition. Abilene has had Lowe's on the south side right next to the mall for roughly a decade. It would have made sense to put a Home Depot on the north side, where they lack most retail amenities. However, HD went a built a huge new store just one exit away from Lowe's. Seems silly, but I bet you're right. I can see a new Home Depot springing up any time.

And sorry to anyone who might view me as being pathetic, raving about trite things like a new Lowe's. I'm living in Austin and I'm a bit homesick for good ol' Abilene. It makes me happy when new things get built there because it's been in a rut for so many years. As of the end of August 2006, the city has broken its record for total construction costs in a year. And there are still 4 months to go!

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on new happenings in the city if you all don't mind reading them. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2006, 06:27 PM

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Here's a screenshot from google earth showing just how close Home Depot and Lowe's are. Kind of funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas