Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexan87 View Post
Yeah, I assumed they were in heavy competition. Abilene has had Lowe's on the south side right next to the mall for roughly a decade. It would have made sense to put a Home Depot on the north side, where they lack most retail amenities. However, HD went a built a huge new store just one exit away from Lowe's. Seems silly, but I bet you're right. I can see a new Home Depot springing up any time.

And sorry to anyone who might view me as being pathetic, raving about trite things like a new Lowe's. I'm living in Austin and I'm a bit homesick for good ol' Abilene. It makes me happy when new things get built there because it's been in a rut for so many years. As of the end of August 2006, the city has broken its record for total construction costs in a year. And there are still 4 months to go!

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on new happenings in the city if you all don't mind reading them. Thanks!
You got it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 12:29 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
They just built a Kohl's store down the road from Home Depot. Yay!!!!! It's not open yet but will be soon.

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is the grand opening of the Prime Time entertainment complex. The first phase opens Oct. 1. It has high-tech bowling, mini-golf that's more "golf like" than most, go-karts, Nascar simulators, a virtual reality theater, restaurant, etc. If all goes well, they'll start the second phase, which is an indoor water park and an ice skating rink!

It will be interesting to see what stores and restaurants move into the plaza by the new Lowe's. That's closer to the side of the city I live on and it would be really nice not to have to go to Southwest Drive and Buffalo Gap Road area for everything!

Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM

14 posts, read 50,129 times
Can anyone give me any info on the area of 1st St. between Sayles Blvd. and Pioneer St? Also North Willis Between 1st St. and Ambler?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:31 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,207 times
What would you like to know?

South 1st from Sayles to Pioneer is also the HiWay 80 Business route, east/west, thru Abilene. Most of the businesses there have been something else, from time to time. Sayles Blvd was at one time probly 'the' high dollar street on the south side. Housing, south of South 1st goes from low end, nearer to Sayles to moderate mid-class as you go west. Near Pioneer is a good area.

Willis, between North 1st and Ambler was developed beginning during the mid-50's boom and housed a very respectable citizenry and probly continues to do so today, though obviously an older community. If I were looking for a home in Abilene today, that is where I would look but probly not beyond about North 18th. The house I grew up in was one block off Willis @ North 14th but I haven't lived there since the mid-60's. I've always been attracted to a subdivision just off North 6th, just west of Willis, near the creek.

I was in Abilene last year, for about six months. Others may have better info than I.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 PM

67 posts, read 256,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbird View Post
I was interested in the comment about mountains in the Abilene area. Is it hilly there? That would be a plus. I’ve got two Texas cities sound good to me, Abilene and San Angelo. They have a lot of similarities in weather, reasonable housing prices, big enough but not too big, low crime rates etc. I was wondering if any other of you has an opinion of which area around these cities is nicer. Nicer for me would mean some varied terrain, a few lakes, maybe some interesting small towns in the area to kick around in etc.

LOL...being from Washington state there are NO mountains in Texas at all...what they are refering to is south of Abilene going towards San Angelo,Tx..you hit a ridge of foot hills before going under the platue..the further south you go it get's lower and lower..so yes i guess to Abileneans they look like mountains. they are pretty.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM

A lot of people I've spoken to call it seriously the black hole..If I had to describe Abilene I would say it's a little big hick town. With alot of older people..now it does have three universities..but they combined all together are only about 3500 student's so very small..people there are nice..but hate change..or positively put are very slow to change..which can be a plus if your raising lil ones..but bad for business..I noticed that since it is small the people can literally run a business out just by word of mouth..even if they have never tried the business. They love there whole in the wall family owned business. Alot of famous people and athlete's have come from Abilene. If you like slow paced lifestyles..then consider it..very low crime rate..if any. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 AM

791 posts, read 2,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitty View Post
A lot of people I've spoken to call it seriously the black hole..If I had to describe Abilene I would say it's a little big hick town. With alot of older people..now it does have three universities..but they combined all together are only about 3500 student's so very small..people there are nice..but hate change..or positively put are very slow to change..which can be a plus if your raising lil ones..but bad for business..I noticed that since it is small the people can literally run a business out just by word of mouth..even if they have never tried the business. They love there whole in the wall family owned business. Alot of famous people and athlete's have come from Abilene. If you like slow paced lifestyles..then consider it..very low crime rate..if any. Good luck.
Chitty, sounds like you've been there at least once, which is probly two times too many.

I used to say Abilene was god's little joke on christianity. You can get a good christian education but you have to go to hell to get it. I also used to say Abilene is a great place to raise kids, but you wouldn't want to live there. When I would go to visit my mom the only thing I could think of on my way was what route I would use to get out of town as quickly as possible.

For some, it's a good place, and that is a good thing.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Why so down on Abilene, Willys? It's never aspired to be a shiny, hectic metropolis. It's a smallish city that has a slower pace, friendly people, and anything one needs, unless a lot of bars, eroticism, and trendier-than-thou opportunities are required. Geez, even the New York Times came here to do a trip report and found it charming.

Oh, and guess what? I got my property tax bill -- it's $260. My property tax in Brownsville was $1,600 for a home appraised at twice the value of my Abilene home.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:15 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
I have read all of these comments about Abilene with interest. I want to correct a few misconceptions:

First--to the person who stated that all of the colleges together only have 3500 students: Here is the real scoop:

Cisco Junior College, new Abilene campus on Loop 322, alone has over 3500 students.

Hardin-Simmons University has about 2500 students now.

McMurry University has 1400 students this year.

Abilene Christian University has about 4500 students.

Embry-Riddle University, on Dyess AFB, has about 1200 students.

There are also new Colleges of Engineering and Pharmacy, both branches of Texas Tech University, in the city. I don't know how many students are in them.

And there is a branch of Texas State Technical College here. Again, I am not sure of the enrollment.

My wife and I moved here from the Cleveland/Akron area 24 years ago and expected the city to be too small for us. We have been pleased and surprised with the quality of life here. We don't miss the terrible winters up there, the terrible traffic, the high cost of living, and the congestion. Abilene is new, growing, exciting. It is an easy place to live. Traffic is not too heavy. The town is large enough to offer everything that we need without the hassles of a larger city. Our house is much nicer and larger than we could have bought in any other place we have lived (for the same price).

We couldn't be happier. Unlike other West Texas cities (with the possible exception of San Angelo), we are close to most of the major population centers of the state. The DFW area is only about 2 1/2 hours from us. Austin can be reached in 3 1/2 to 4 hours. And it is much easier to live here than there. I actually have friends who work in the DFW area during the week but choose to live here because of the quality of life. It is a good place. It is not perfect, and it is a little provincial, but we love it.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
Chitty, sounds like you've been there at least once, which is probly two times too many.

I used to say Abilene was god's little joke on christianity. You can get a good christian education but you have to go to hell to get it. I also used to say Abilene is a great place to raise kids, but you wouldn't want to live there. When I would go to visit my mom the only thing I could think of on my way was what route I would use to get out of town as quickly as possible.

For some, it's a good place, and that is a good thing.

lol..true to your point as well..yes I DID live there for what seems like too long...but I always say I don't think God is going to put me somewhere for no reason..which he didn't I learned a lot about people and myself there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas