Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times

Advertisements

I have read in other threads that there has been a lot of growth in the RGV over recent years, but has this all ended with the economic recession?

How has McAllen changed from what it used to be 10 years ago?

How does McAllen compare to Brownsville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:51 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I have read in other threads that there has been a lot of growth in the RGV over recent years, but has this all ended with the economic recession?

How has McAllen changed from what it used to be 10 years ago?

How does McAllen compare to Brownsville?
The biggest differences are that McAllen is more Americanized and Brownsville is more Mexican influenced. You can tell you are in the U.S. in McAllen, but Brownsville feels like a city in Mexico.

That is just my personal opinion.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:54 AM

627 posts, read 1,622,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
The biggest differences are that McAllen is more Americanized and Brownsville is more Mexican influenced. You can tell you are in the U.S. in McAllen, but Brownsville feels like a city in Mexico.

That is just my personal opinion.

What about Harlingen and Rio Grande City?

Old 09-18-2009, 05:11 AM

11 posts, read 43,407 times
"there has been a lot of growth in the RGV over recent years, but has this all ended with the economic recession?"

No, the area is in fact still growing, just a little tiny bit slower.

McAllen: Lots of shopping and restaurants all over, caters to shoppers from Mexico. The most built up and "modern" of the valley cities.

Harlingen: Still slow, still dull, and still full of old cranky people. I fly through it on the highway a lot and actually stopped the other day and saw a few new things, but mostly the same old junk and a lot of missing stores.

Brownsville: Probably the fastest growing of the valley cities, quickly trying to get up to McAllen's level. Many new stores, home development, schools on the northwest side of town and A LOT of road expansion in and around the city. Oh and the airport still has one gate, but TWO airlines! (lol)

South Padre: Many MANY new condo towers, get into any building over 2 stories in Brownsville and you can see the newest one, called Sapphire or something, sticking up over the horizon. And there is a new landmark, the Leaning Tower of Padre, 31 story condo tower started to lean while under construction and now it just sits there, a half built shell of a building with cracks all over its lower floors.

Also the highway went from 4 to 6 lanes from Brownsville to McAllen and beyond, billion dollar road project that took yeeeeeeeaaaars to complete. Well, I think its finished now, been a while since I saw a cone.

Oh and there is one of those rip-you-off outlet malls between McAllen and Harlingen.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
Harlingen does have a nice little airport. Good access to the rest of the Valley if you don't want to make the endless, boring drive down from Austin (in my case formerly) or places even farther away. Southwest Airlines is your friend!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:21 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Which is the leading airport in the Valley? Harlingen's or McAllen's?

How is the local job situation? Is it mostly limited to retail jobs? Are they actually hiring locally now?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:09 AM

Harlingen would obviously be the airport to fly into if going to South Padre. I wonder if McAllen has flights coming in from the interior of Mexico, at least from Monterey, given the city being a shopping destination for folks from Mexico.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:38 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
McAllen does have flights from Mexico, as well as direct flights to Las Vegas and Orlando via Allegiant Air. There are currently 5 gates and they are supposed to be adding two more.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:21 PM

11 posts, read 43,407 times
"Harlingen would obviously be the airport to fly into if going to South Padre."

Yet those of us who live in the area would say fly Continental into Brownsville if your going to SPI. Flights to Brownsville are cheaper (unless your on a one hop Southwest flight into Harlingen) and your 20 minutes away compared to 40-to an hour away.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 PM

Southwest has direct service from Austin to Harlingen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas