Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 6,444 times

Advertisements

Here is some honesty for you TexasNick East Texas fall color starts late and is spectacular if you are in the right area I live in Van Texas and have over 24 trees including Magnolia, Cedar, Pecan, Maple, Oak , Sweetgum, Sycamore and Crape Myrtle. On my route to work through Ben Wheeler area to Athens it is considered one of the best scenic roads to travel when the show starts (and when bluebonnets and indian paintbrushes are in bloom) I believe the road number is 773. Thing is the show is short not like Northern states. Northeners I know tell me they are amazed at the fact that we can grow flowers in November..and that the Pines are beautiful here. Remember your Texas Pride accent the postive and the beautiful Happy Holidays Ya'll~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
You guys haven't seen nothing till you seen the tumble weeds turn from green to brown. Now that's beautiful and about it for vegetation.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepurplesquirrelcottage View Post
Here is some honesty for you TexasNick East Texas fall color starts late and is spectacular if you are in the right area I live in Van Texas and have over 24 trees including Magnolia, Cedar, Pecan, Maple, Oak , Sweetgum, Sycamore and Crape Myrtle. On my route to work through Ben Wheeler area to Athens it is considered one of the best scenic roads to travel when the show starts (and when bluebonnets and indian paintbrushes are in bloom) I believe the road number is 773. Thing is the show is short not like Northern states. Northeners I know tell me they are amazed at the fact that we can grow flowers in November..and that the Pines are beautiful here. Remember your Texas Pride accent the postive and the beautiful Happy Holidays Ya'll~

This reality is what made me just recently change my position on East Texas falls not comparing to the falls in other places. Growing up in Northeast Tx and having visited/briefly lived in states like VA and NC during fall, I can honestly say that neither VA nor NC really beats East Texas fall foliage. East Texas has some absolutely beautiful color palettes, and to be honest, so does North Texas. I now feel as though East Texas' fall foliage is pretty comparable to anywhere in the U.S. Its really lovely this time of year.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
I think Central Texas is underrated for fall colors. I was driving through back from Waco to Houston, and it was beautiful. Colors from brown to red to yellow to orange.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:50 PM

40 posts, read 126,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post

I'm a native Texan, but the truth is that in comparison with so many other parts of the country, autumn colour in Texas is very, very minimal and disappointing.
"Colour"??? Are you really a Canadian spy?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:31 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
I might get out and try to get a few pics tomorrow even though it'll be cloudy. Still got some beautiful golds and yellows around my house. Most of the trees that have the reds/oranges/purples have lost their leaves. I have a white oak by my driveway that has already lost most of its leaves.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I might get out and try to get a few pics tomorrow even though it'll be cloudy. Still got some beautiful golds and yellows around my house. Most of the trees that have the reds/oranges/purples have lost their leaves. I have a white oak by my driveway that has already lost most of its leaves.
That's the best time to take pictures because you have even lighting.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:35 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
That's the best time to take pictures because you have even lighting.

But wouldn't sunlight intensify colors?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:27 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
But wouldn't sunlight intensify colors?
Maybe if the trees are back lite, but only then. On cloudy days you have even gentle light, no harsh shadows and cloudy days really makes the red pop in pictures.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:23 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Just wanted to resurrect this thread to say that I will never let anyone tell me that eastern Texas has no fall color.

I wish I would've had time to take pictures, but I was in the Northeast Texas region today, and from about Hill County to the Longview area, I saw plenty of color, and of course it was overcast, so the foliage was very easy to see. I mostly saw a lot of vivid shades of gold, and, every now and then, some sharp oranges and reds; all blended in with the deep green of the pines and oaks. It was really awesome.

I'm not sure if it's because of the drought and unusually warm weather of the past few months, but I'm sure that the color here in Texas is peaking much later than other parts of the country.

East Texas is beautiful in autumn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas