Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 02:38 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I'm not hating.

While some of the comments by some Houstonians may be uncalled for, it's really retaliation and light hearted humor that shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Let's just be real for a minute though. Dallasites seem like they like to taunt Houstonians and throw things in everyone's face. examples:
"This is the most unique and groundbreaking thing in all of Texas and the entire south!"
"Your park's underground parking is nothing special, ours is more this."
"There's no other place like it in Texas. "
"Dallas is the Texas star,"

and many other cocky comments that i've read. I'm not saying one is right or wrong, matter fact, I have to shamefully admit, I enjoy it all. Keeps the forum fun, but its no need to cry so much. Each side reacts and retaliates differently. Dallasites are no perfect angels either. That's typical, so i guess while Houston's hating, Dallas is whining and crying!
Well it's the truth.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Well it's the truth.
Just like the taunting, outlandish claiming, whining, and crying is also the truth.

And i noticed you guys ignored Texas Tallest's post of the Margaret T. Hance park in Phoenix. Nothing incredibly "new" about KW.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Have you been to klyde warren park?
yes ive been to kylde warren park. its cool, i do wish Houston would take note and try to bridge some of the barriers the highways have created in our city.. were just pointing out that its nothing new or innovative. Dallas even stole the nickname "deck park" from Phoenix. and Phoenix's deck park is 32 acres, Klyde Warren is only 5 acres. i just prefer the look of the more natural landscaping in Margaret T Hance (versus the two oval paths of Klyde Warren) and the very pretty lush gardens with ponds.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
yes ive been to kylde warren park. its cool, i do wish Houston would take note and try to bridge some of the barriers the highways have created in our city.. were just pointing out that its nothing new or innovative. Dallas even stole the nickname "deck park" from Phoenix. and Phoenix's deck park is 32 acres, Klyde Warren is only 5 acres. i just prefer the look of the more natural landscaping in Margaret T Hance (versus the two oval paths of Klyde Warren) and the very pretty lush gardens with ponds.

Im sure you love a nice desert scape and Im sure you knew about that park prior to yesterday....

Didnt exactly see anyone take not of his article either:

“The reason for doing the park was to eliminate the barrier of the highway trench and to connect Uptown and downtown,” Bjerke says. “We wanted it to be seamless so you can walk in the park from any direction.”

The structural beams in the deck structure also served another purpose. Designers wanted the tree roots to grow underground, but needed room for the root-balls to properly grow. The beams were arranged in groups of three or more, and concrete panels were placed between the beam groups to form trenches. The 100 trenches act like planter boxes and accommodate not only the tree root-balls, but fiber optic cables, water and gas lines, and telephone and electrical lines.

“It’s very unique,” Ali says. “I’ve not seen it done anywhere else.”

Because the trees are trenched on a grid, the landscaper had to map out every tree in the park much earlier in the design. But even though the trees are planted on a grid, it doesn’t look that way because the walkway is curved, Bjerke says.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:56 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:

It's impossible for something like that to be built over the Woodall Rodgers Freeway. They had a hard time figuring out how to build the park on grade that would hold plants, soil, etc. with people on top. That alone took 10 years to plan.

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-16-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Im sure you love a nice desert scape and Im sure you knew about that park prior to yesterday....

Didnt exactly see anyone take not of his article either:

“The reason for doing the park was to eliminate the barrier of the highway trench and to connect Uptown and downtown,” Bjerke says. “We wanted it to be seamless so you can walk in the park from any direction.”

The structural beams in the deck structure also served another purpose. Designers wanted the tree roots to grow underground, but needed room for the root-balls to properly grow. The beams were arranged in groups of three or more, and concrete panels were placed between the beam groups to form trenches. The 100 trenches act like planter boxes and accommodate not only the tree root-balls, but fiber optic cables, water and gas lines, and telephone and electrical lines.

“It’s very unique,” Ali says. “I’ve not seen it done anywhere else.”

Because the trees are trenched on a grid, the landscaper had to map out every tree in the park much earlier in the design. But even though the trees are planted on a grid, it doesn’t look that way because the walkway is curved, Bjerke says.
The only desert scape I see in those pictures is the shot during the winter time where there's no leaves on the trees and the grass is brown. I'm sure the grass will turn brown in harsh winter/possibly even summer months too.
And I actually found out about that park a few years back when I was reading into klyde warren. Sorry the Internet wasn't as proliferate in the late 80s for the news of this park to spread like the news of klyde warren. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the fact that klyde warren isn't as innovative and new like your city led you to believe.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:47 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
The only desert scape I see in those pictures is the shot during the winter time where there's no leaves on the trees and the grass is brown. I'm sure the grass will turn brown in harsh winter/possibly even summer months too.
And I actually found out about that park a few years back when I was reading into klyde warren. Sorry the Internet wasn't as proliferate in the late 80s for the news of this park to spread like the news of klyde warren. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the fact that klyde warren isn't as innovative and new like your city led you to believe.

Its not my city, but looks like you still didnt read the article to figure out what was unique about the engineering at CW park.....

Old 06-16-2013, 04:25 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
The phoenix park is nice.....I just simply didnt know it existed. That says alot in itself. Houstonians cant stand the fact that dallas is the most cutting edge city in Texas. Houston is just the biggest city in Texas. Dallas and houston builds different versions of the same stuff but dallas developments are always nicer. We get all the cool concepts and houston builds mediocre crap for the masses.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The phoenix park is nice.....I just simply didnt know it existed. That says alot in itself. Houstonians cant stand the fact that dallas is the most cutting edge city in Texas. Houston is just the biggest city in Texas. Dallas and houston builds different versions of the same stuff but dallas developments are always nicer. We get all the cool concepts and houston builds mediocre crap for the masses.
LOLOL thanks for the laugh. your living in some alternate reality up there...
you didnt know it existed because the idea of a deck park is nothing new or innovative and has been around for decades. no reason for anyone to be talking about it now days. Dallas just does a good job of promoting their city and touting things as ground breaking when in reality they are just copying other cities. Seattle has had "Freeway Park" since the 70s. LA has been talking about capping freeways for decades, and you could say the big dig in Boston was a similar idea.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:21 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
LOLOL thanks for the laugh. your living in some alternate reality up there...
you didnt know it existed because the idea of a deck park is nothing new or innovative and has been around for decades. no reason for anyone to be talking about it now days. Dallas just does a good job of promoting their city and touting things as ground breaking when in reality they are just copying other cities. Seattle has had "Freeway Park" since the 70s. LA has been talking about capping freeways for decades, and you could say the big dig in Boston was a similar idea.
Well we was the first to BREAK GROUND on something like this in Texas. And the enviroment around our park makes it more appealling than the Phoenix one. So it really is ground breaking for a Texas city. Hooray for Phoenix though I do like the water element they have in their park. For it to be so old you would think that having it where it is it would have spurred development and cleaned the area up around it. Cwp has had a dramatic impact on the area its in. It really serves a purpose and its only been open a year not decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas