Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I used to go to Dallas all the time. Dallas's strongest points are in its suburban areas. Houston is similar to Dallas but it definitely has a stronger urban core. It's downtown is only getting better!
Personally, I like Fort Worth better, but I still love Dallas.

I dont know if I agree with that. Dallas has a lot of really great things within its city limits. There are lots of urban areas there. Bishop Arts, Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville, and Oak Lawn are all very walkable and very urban. I might also add that Ive never met a "Dallas Douchebag" in any of these areas. I have met them in Uptown and Addison.

Even then I still like Uptown. Its home to some really great fusion resturants. We ate at Lumi's on Saturday (Brazilian/Vietnamese fusion). AMAZING!

Ive met douchebags in Houston too. I fail to see how this really sets Dallas and Houston apart in this aspect. I dont think Houston has a stronger urban core, Houston has a larger urban core (not just talking about Downtown).

Old 01-12-2010, 10:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Personally, I like Fort Worth better, but I still love Dallas.

I dont know if I agree with that. Dallas has a lot of really great things within its city limits. There are lots of urban areas there. Bishop Arts, Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville, and Oak Lawn are all very walkable and very urban. I might also add that Ive never met a "Dallas Douchebag" in any of these areas. I have met them in Uptown and Addison.

Even then I still like Uptown. Its home to some really great fusion resturants. We ate at Lumi's on Saturday (Brazilian/Vietnamese fusion). AMAZING!

Ive met douchebags in Houston too. I fail to see how this really sets Dallas and Houston apart in this aspect. I dont think Houston has a stronger urban core, Houston has a larger urban core (not just talking about Downtown).
No it's stronger because it plays a key role in the metro area. You can't say the same for Dallas. If I want to do some good shopping or go to a Texan game or watch a play, or maybe visit a few musuems. This can all be done in the loop. People within the Houston area come to Houston instead of going all over to smaller suburbans and other cities in the area.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
I dont think Houston has a stronger urban core.
I do. Houston's density inside the loop is the densest in the state which is over 5,000 ppsm. Plus all 3 of Houston's sports stadiums and the awaiting Dynamo Stadium are all located within the 610 loop. Dallas has only one. You have to go to other parts of the metroplex as with the case with the new cowboys stadium in Arlington.

Houston's downtown, while probably not to the point of San antonio or fort Worth yet is showing great signs from the recent developments of the new Discovery Green Park and all the surrounding developments popping up on that side of town. Houston Pavilions is starting to show promising signs as it continues to open more stores. All within the 610 loop, you have the museum district, Theater District, Montrose, Kirby district, Greenway, Rice area, TMC, and the Uptown/ Galleria area is a stone's throw away.

Not taking anything away from Dallas. Dallas is a great city. But let's face it, Dallas's comes out strongest by the suburban make-ups. I mean Dallas needs Fort Worth and the surrounding cities to be able to compete as a major player. Again, not saying anything is wrong with that. It's just the way it is. Dallas was fortunate to be so close to another major U.S. city only 30 miles away.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 01-12-2010 at 10:18 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Not taking anything away from Dallas. Dallas is a great city. But let's face it, Dallas's comes out strongest by the suburban make-ups. I mean Dallas needs Fort Worth and the surrounding cities to be able to compete as a major player. Again, not saying anything is wrong with that. It's just the way it is. Dallas was fortunate to be so close to another major U.S. city only 30 miles away.
If you erase all city lines, what do you have in either place?

About 6 million people in 9,000 square miles with one economy.

Thats no different in DFW or Houston (aside from DFW a few more people and Houston have a slightly larger economy).

People always say Dallas depends on Fort Worth. No it doesnt. The reigion depends on itself. The same is true in Southeast Texas.

Just because population is distributed differently in either place doesnt mean much. At the end of the day, its all the same.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Just because population is distributed differently in either place doesnt mean much. At the end of the day, its all the same.
Exactly. You're reinforcing my point. Which is exactly why Dallas is stronger with its suburban (metro) while Houston is stronger with its core (city), and i'm not talking about the entire 600 sq miles, i'm really just talking inner loop.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Exactly. You're reinforcing my point. Which is exactly why Dallas is stronger with its suburban (metro) while Houston is stronger with its core (city), and i'm not talking about the entire 600 sq miles, i'm really just talking inner loop.
Ok, gotcha.

Ill buy that.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times
Dallas has waaaay better shopping and transit!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas has waaaay better shopping and transit!
As far as transit, you're right. The Dallas area just has more shopping, i wouldn't go as far to say it is waaaay better.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times
Quote:
As far as transit, you're right. The Dallas area just has more shopping, i wouldn't go as far to say it is waaaay better.
Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York, Saks Fifth Avenue I can go on and on!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
The whole better shopping topic is lame to me because it usually turns into which one has the most upscale stores; as if we all shop at those type of places.

I think both offer great shopping when it comes to shopping for what I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas