Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I got my numbers from Emporis. You only count antenna when measuring insects, not buildings.
Still, Houston's 10th tallest - One Shell Plaza is the same height as Dallas' 2nd tallest - Renaissance Tower, to the roof lines. When OSP's antenna is included at a dizzying 1,000 ft. in height, its taller than Dallas' 1st tallest - Bank of America Plaza at 920 ft. by 80 ft.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-05-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 PM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Still, Houston's 10th tallest - One Shell Plaza is the same height as Dallas' 2nd tallest - Renaissance Tower, to the roof lines. When OSP's antenna is included at a dizzying 1,000 ft. in height, its taller than Dallas' 1st tallest - Bank of America Plaza at 920 ft. by 80 ft.
One Shell Plaza: 218m, would be Dallas' sixth tallest, and one of its ugliest.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 AM

There's really no comparison between the two as far as tall buildings go. Houston is clearly in a league of its own. It blows Dallas's skyline away in over all number of skyscrapers & in sheer height...no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

No if you're talking quality of architecture, then Dallas might have a slight edge over Houston, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Dallas' skyline is very dated & 80's, while Houston's is a lot more futuristic 21st century looking.

Dallas does have a much better lit night time skyline (one of the best & brightest in the US) than Houston, but that's about it.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times
Again, if you're talking about overall skyline (including all skylines) Houston far exceeds.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Definitely DALLAS.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times
A test: take an unbiased person not familiar with either city and have he or she drive through both cities and ask whether they were in any way "awestruck." I would venture that more people would say "yes" to Houston than Dallas any day.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
A test: take an unbiased person not familiar with either city and have he or she drive through both cities and ask whether they were in any way "awestruck." I would venture that more people would say "yes" to Houston than Dallas any day.
Of course they would pick Houston over Dallas. Houston's Downtown skyline alone is even taller than Los Angeles & is 3rd tallest in the US after NYC & Chicago, respectively.

Houston's only real competitor is LA since the skylines are so similar aesthetically & in total number of downtown skyscrapers. Outside of downtown though, Houston topples LA, especially with number of buildings over 400 ft.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
True story: I took a visitor from Houston to downtown Dallas for the King Tut exhibit last year, and they thought Dallas was bigger. First, they were a normal person, not a skyline geek, so they weren't into antenna or anything. Second, I think the proximity of Uptown and Victory to downtown (collectively known to non-skyline geeks as 'Downtown') looks quite impressive.

Of course, anyone into skyscrapers knows that Houston has more towers than Dallas. The fact that Houstonites continue to press the point makes some of us wonder they are making up for deficiencies in...other areas.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
True story: I took a visitor from Houston to downtown Dallas for the King Tut exhibit last year, and they thought Dallas was bigger. First, they were a normal person, not a skyline geek, so they weren't into antenna or anything. Second, I think the proximity of Uptown and Victory to downtown (collectively known to non-skyline geeks as 'Downtown') looks quite impressive.

Of course, anyone into skyscrapers knows that Houston has more towers than Dallas. The fact that Houstonites continue to press the point makes some of us wonder they are making up for deficiencies in...other areas.
True story: Everyone I know (family & friends) whom I've shown around Houston for the first time, I make it a point to drive by Uptown/Galleria first before Downtown & l'll be damned if they don't always confuse the two. When I finally do take them by downtown via 288 & I-45 their jaws drop to the floorboard of the car while their eyes are popping out of their skull glued to the passenger side window.

The typical Dallas skyline response I get from visitors is usually "Oh cool I like that giant ball, what is that?" or "Wow, what is that tall neon green building"? That's about the extent of it.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-06-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
True story: Everyone I know (family & friends) whom I've shown around Houston for the first time, I make it a point to drive by Uptown/Galleria first before Downtown & l'll be damned if they don't always confuse the two. When I finally do take them by downtown via 288 & I-45 their jaws drop to the floorboard of the car while their eyes are popping out of their skull glued to the passenger side window.

The typical Dallas skyline response I get from visitors is usually "Oh cool I like that giant ball, what is that?" or "Wow, what is that tall neon green building"? That's about the extent of it.
You need to trade in your family & friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas