Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 07:14 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
In unique buildings, I might give a SLIGHT edge to Dallas (and Houston isn't exactly chopped liver either in that department). But as for the majestic and bold angles of a skyline's COMPOSITION? I'll definitely give that to Houston. (And there are no interesting bayou walks in Dallas' downtown either.)

The views of downtown Houston coming from I-45 north and from US 59/288...two utterly awesome views, day or night. I'm one of those that doesn't put too much stock in green outlines and flashing dandelions. I prefer the futuristic "Blade Runner" style myself.
The sheer size of DTHouston is what blows you away ,and I agree about both views you speak of.....Houston blows you away from afar but as u get closer and closer you begin to notice how un-interesting the big buildings really are...In dallas its the opposite...coming in you might say Dallas skyline is short and small compared to Houston...but as you get closer and closer you begin to realize its taller and bigger than you think.And then you get closer and your like wow these buildings are cutting edge...Dallas is beautiful.Then your homerism kicks in and you start to look for things thats bad about Dallas while you visit.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:46 AM

39 posts, read 49,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Worthian View Post
Seriously y'all make me laugh, if you keep posting threads about Houston vs Dallas it makes you seem like your worried about Dallas being better which it is, and as much a y'all people from Houston hate to admit it Dallas is leading Tecas so far in business that's why they keep adding way better skyscrapers to there Skyline, Houstons Skyline looks like Rectangle blocks standing up, unlike Dallas who's skyscrapers are unique and they keep adding more and more, and most articles I've read claim Dallas and Houston are booming in business but Dallas is leading Texas right now, so until I see Houston have more unique buildings then I'll probably take back what I said about Dallas. (waiting for someone to quote my comment and point out there own facts aka opinions about how "good" Houston is than Dallas)
Ah but what do you think about the people that revive threads of Houston Vs. Dallas aren't they just as bad as the people who start these kinds of threads? aren't those people just as funny?

And just to answer the thread you so nicely revived I prefer Houston's skyline its just a lot bigger to me so visually it really gets you.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The sheer size of DTHouston is what blows you away ,and I agree about both views you speak of.....Houston blows you away from afar but as u get closer and closer you begin to notice how un-interesting the big buildings really are...In dallas its the opposite...coming in you might say Dallas skyline is short and small compared to Houston...but as you get closer and closer you begin to realize its taller and bigger than you think.And then you get closer and your like wow these buildings are cutting edge...Dallas is beautiful.Then your homerism kicks in and you start to look for things thats bad about Dallas while you visit.
I do like the golden panache of Dallas' skyline up close in the day. And I do appreciate the nocturnal green outlines and glowing dandelion Reunion things up there too, that is Dallas' style...but I still much adore H-town's stark Blade Runner vibe at night.

Nice clean downtown up in Dallas. But it doesn't seem to have that "big city" concrete vibe of downtown H-town. Dallas Alley of yesteryear was quite a sultry sight to be sure...but it never gave me that kind of majestic trance of H-town's vistas.

And you say that Houston's buildings get "un-interesting" the "closer" you get? Nah. When I stand at the steps of Bayou Place or Jones Plaza, and look up at the buildings, I certainly don't agree with that at all.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I do like the golden panache of Dallas' skyline up close in the day. And I do appreciate the nocturnal green outlines and glowing dandelion Reunion things up there too, that is Dallas' style...but I still much adore H-town's stark Blade Runner vibe at night.

Nice clean downtown up in Dallas. But it doesn't seem to have that "big city" concrete vibe of downtown H-town. Dallas Alley of yesteryear was quite a sultry sight to be sure...but it never gave me that kind of majestic trance of H-town's vistas.

And you say that Houston's buildings get "un-interesting" the "closer" you get? Nah. When I stand at the steps of Bayou Place or Jones Plaza, and look up at the buildings, I certainly don't agree with that at all.
Yes....I agree again...Houston does have buildings to adore downtown(Enron Towers).But as far as what catches your attention, its definately the size of the downtown area and the Height of the buildings...none of the buildings really stand out or hold your attention like the buildings in Dallas.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Yes....I agree again...Houston does have buildings to adore downtown(Enron Towers).But as far as what catches your attention, its definately the size of the downtown area and the Height of the buildings...none of the buildings really stand out or hold your attention like the buildings in Dallas.
Chase Tower (tallest skyscraper in Texas)

Bank of America (with its gothic inspired spires)

Wells Fargo Plaza (tallest all glass building in the western hemisphere & 2nd tallest building in Texas)

Penzoil Place (one or two seperate buildings)

Heritage Plaza (Myan top)

Continental Center (looks like a white ship sailing across the coastal plains)

Hess Tower (10 fully fuctional built in wind turbines at the top to power the building)

Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Chase Tower (tallest skyscraper in Texas)

Bank of America (with its gothic inspired spires)

Wells Fargo Plaza (tallest all glass building in the western hemisphere & 2nd tallest building in Texas)

Penzoil Place (one or two seperate buildings)

Heritage Plaza (Myan top)

Continental Center (looks like a white ship sailing across the coastal plains)

Hess Tower (10 fully fuctional built in wind turbines at the top to power the building)
Yes..Those buildings do exist but they don't stand out.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,642 times
Quote:
Yes..Those buildings do exist but they don't stand out.
I know it's purely subjective but BofA Houston is quite elegant and just seems to identify well with the corporate world. Just next door another amazing ode to business is Johnson's most famous Houston work (at least for architects) - Pennzoil Place. That development is probably the best critiqued skyscraper in Texas.

When you open the field up to buildings outside of downtown I find it difficult to believe most would give the overall Dallas skyline the edge. Transco alone bests any non-DT scrapers in DFW.

Conversely, one must admit that Dallasites should certainly be proud of Fountain Place. That building is truly iconic. BofA Dallas is glitzy but not architecturally significant.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
I know it's purely subjective but BofA Houston is quite elegant and just seems to identify well with the corporate world. Just next door another amazing ode to business is Johnson's most famous Houston work (at least for architects) - Pennzoil Place. That development is probably the best critiqued skyscraper in Texas.

When you open the field up to buildings outside of downtown I find it difficult to believe most would give the overall Dallas skyline the edge. Transco alone bests any non-DT scrapers in DFW.

Conversely, one must admit that Dallasites should certainly be proud of Fountain Place. That building is truly iconic. BofA Dallas is glitzy but not architecturally significant.
The odd thing about DTHouston is that all of the interesting buildings are pretty much hidden in all the shots of Houston.I never see the Enron Towers or Pennzoil Place in any skyline pics or when you drive through Houston. Its like they're in the center of Downtown surrounded by the more dull buildings.It could just be a coincidense tho.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 AM

dallas vs houston - YouTube

Old 07-22-2012, 01:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

America's Space City

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-22-2012 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: copyrighted photos require links only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas