Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 AM

882 posts, read 2,246,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Houston is one of the most diverse cities in North America. Houston also has a big cultural scene.. Symphony, Ballet, etc. Connections to all continents via the 6th busiest airport in the world.
I dont know how IAH ranks in the US, but I guess you meant 6th busiest in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 06:10 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Are you sure you are not talking about Fort Worth?? Fort Worth is pretty slow. Dallas not so much.
TO be fair, I'm only talking about my perspective dealing with South Dallas as that is the part of Dallas I am most knowledgeable about. But still, I find Houston a bit more upbeat in it's pace compared to Dallas. Now North Dallas could be something completely different in pace compared to South Dallas, though.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
TO be fair, I'm only talking about my perspective dealing with South Dallas as that is the part of Dallas I am most knowledgeable about. But still, I find Houston a bit more upbeat in it's pace compared to Dallas. Now North Dallas could be something completely different in pace compared to South Dallas, though.
North Dallas is a whole lot faster paced than South Dallas. North Dallas is where all the growth took place and South Dallas got left in the dust. I think if you compared the areas further North, you would find them comperable.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
I found Dallas to be slower paced than Houston. Spade is definitely right about South Dallas being slow-paced though. Overall, Houston's metropolitan area feels connected which leads the suburbs even having a fast-paced to them.

I could be out in Katy or Sugar Land and still feel as if I'm living in a large city. You didn't get that feel in lots of the suburbs in Dallas.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
What does it matter to begin with which is faster pace? Fort Worth is slower pace than both. End of discussion

Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I could be out in Katy or Sugar Land and still feel as if I'm living in a large city. You didn't get that feel in lots of the suburbs in Dallas.
I think thats the point. Lots of people out there who may work in Dallas or Fort Worth dont want to feel like they are in the middle of a big city. And if you do, there are still suburbs like Richardson, Irving, Arlington, and to a lesser degree West Plano that can still offer that.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
That's a great thing about East Dallas/Lakewood - you can participate in a faster pace or slower pace, whatever you desire at whatever time you desire. We are a bridge between north and south, yet our own entity.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 AM

411 posts, read 1,165,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Overall, Houston's metropolitan area feels connected which leads the suburbs even having a fast-paced to them.

I could be out in Katy or Sugar Land and still feel as if I'm living in a large city.
I totally agree. I never really thought about it but you're right!

Anyway, I haven't read all 11 pages so I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but maybe consider Austin? It is pretty open-minded and has a liberal vibe.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:25 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,884 times
I would probably suggest San Antonio it's got alot of spanish/mexican influence in April they have Fiesta i've never been to it but I hear it's really fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce

City of San Antonio | Official Web Site

Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,113,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
San Antonio is an underrated city. Its "culture" is sadly limited to the touristy spots in downtown though. My other gripe is its not very diverse & is lacking a decent night life for a city its size.

Out of all Texas cities, Houston just gives off that bigger city vibe with its gigantic skyline/s, 18+ lane wide freeways, & its bursting at the seams with diversity. Dallas has less of all that, yet feels slightly more urban in a way, even though its not as dense as Houston is.

Houston claims to have the largest theatre district outside NYC in total theatre seats downtown, however when adding all San Antonio's downtown theatre and performing venues, San Antonio edges out Houston. San Antonio's nightlife is is equally on par with other texas cities. Why would you say that?

Houston has the bigger skyline, but it's downtown is a sedate when compared to San Antonio's. Austin and San Antonio have the highest concentration of nightclubs in the downtown area in Texas.

As far as diversity, Houston is the most diverse in Texas, but, San Antonio celebrates many cultures. The city has several German suburbs, was the first city of Texas until the 1930's, and attracted many of the first settlers from around the world that came to Texas.
Texans One and All (http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/publications/texansoneandall/texans.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas