Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times

Advertisements

"TXngl...you're doing a great job at explaining what you mean...what you mentioned about ethnic neighborhoods with neighborhood festivals is exactly what I mean."

Thank heavens! I knew what I meant, and I thought that's what you meant, but I was worried I wasn't explaining correctly!

Yes, your experience in the northern suburbs are going to be different than what you'd experience in much of the city limits. It still wouldn't feel like the east coast, but it would be closer to what you're looking for. Too bad that the Lakewood area would be too far for y'all. I think you'd like it much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is a world away from Dallas as far as diversity is concerned. Many more Europeans, Latino's, & Asian immigrants. Think of Houston as Texas' version of LA on steroids & you'll get a pretty good idea. People also seem more open & accepting of different cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientation, & religions in Houston.

Please, got tell that lie to someone else. There are just as many rednecks in Houston as in Dallas.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Please, got tell that lie to someone else. There are just as many rednecks in Baytown as in Dallas.
Fixed

Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is a world away from Dallas as far as diversity is concerned. Many more Europeans, Latino's, & Asian immigrants. Think of Houston as Texas' version of LA on steroids & you'll get a pretty good idea. People also seem more open & accepting of different cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientation, & religions in Houston.
Oh good, someone else with an axe to grind showed up.

Houston is LA on Steroids??? Just like the time you said Houston and Miami have the same climate. Perhaps Dallas is Chicago on Steroids, or maybe Austin is San Francisco on Steroids?

You must be talking about city proper and not metro area. If you are comparing only Houston to Dallas, maybe. If we compare DFW to Houston, the difference in European and Asians arent that great for the sizes.

Rednecks in Dallas? Jesus dude, you're not even trying to be fair are you? There are pretty much the same amout of Rednecks in Metro Houston as DFW. If we are talking just Houston compared to Dallas, I would argue that there are more in Houston. I spend 7 business days working there 2 weeks ago and in the professional world, the boots and jeans crowd is much larger there. Not a bad, thing just an observation.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 02-17-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,760 times
Anyone who considers Dallas or Houston to be a redneck town has never actually lived in a redneck town.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Anyone who considers Dallas or Houston to be a redneck town has never actually lived in a redneck town.
I agree fully.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,845,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas isnt a racist city. It is more segregated than a city like Houston, but it isnt racist. As I mentioned diversity is newer to Dallas. Cosidering I know a few African-Americans who live in Plano and Frisco who love it, I dont believe that you can blanket them like that.

Perhaps most blacks choose to live south of I-30 because they want to be around more people like them. Why is there anything wrong with that?

If you think that the people who move to Dallas are conservative, take into consideration that Dallas (and Irving) gets as many new residents from Mexico and El Salvador than other parts of the states.

To the OP, consider hanging out in Lakewood, Knox-Henderson, or North Oak Cliff. Its a step in the right direction from where you live. Lakewood is a neighborhood that is liberal, yet diverse.

Frankly if you think Dallas is bad, San Antonio is going to be a huge step in the wrong direction for what youre saying. Houston will the be the only other alternative.
Dallas isnt racist but Collin and Denton County have plenty of rednecks. As she stated before those people up there are less accepting of darker colored skin people. There is a reason why African Americans tend to live south of I30. She experienced these thing first hand living up in the northern suburbs. I would never recommend the northern suburb to anyone. Its more to life than just being in a good school district. I want my children to grow up in a cuturally diverse area and not a socially backwards town. I attend and love Texas A&M University, but many of the students here are anything but cuturally diverse and not very accepting of other beliefs.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:20 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
LA- the posts from Mr. Metro (Mr. Tyler Texas) have some pretty bad information and it is well documented in here. Don't waste your time on this bunk.

As far as boots & jeans @ work being "more country" or "more Southern"... I don't know if I would call it that. That sounds more stereotypical Texan oil man... not a common trait in the south as a whole. Actually it isn't all that common outside of select industries here.

As far as the good-ole-boy system goes, that exists everywhere. Some businesses know how to take it to the top, and others crash & burn. People here are just not secretive about nepotism, etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
LA- the posts from Mr. Metro (Mr. Tyler Texas) have some pretty bad information and it is well documented in here. Don't waste your time on this bunk.

As far as boots & jeans @ work being "more country" or "more Southern"... I don't know if I would call it that. That sounds more stereotypical Texan oil man... not a common trait in the south as a whole. Actually it isn't all that common outside of select industries here.

As far as the good-ole-boy system goes, that exists everywhere. Some businesses know how to take it to the top, and others crash & burn. People here are just not secretive about nepotism, etc.
Yeah, I negotiate contracts between airlines and large companies. Alot of my clients are oil companies. Which I agree would be more why I would see boot and jeans down there. I specified that I feel that "professionally" Houston was more country and thats a big reason why since Houston is the nexus of the oil industry for this side of the globe. For day to day living, I dont see very many boots in either Dallas or Houston. I cant remember the last time I saw people wearing boots in either outside of work.

Youre right about the good ol boy system too. It everywhere! People call it by a different name in other parts of the country. My wife is a pharmacist and back in LA, she used to see people promoted over her to run their pharmacy because they knew the right people.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,760 times
If we're going to classify entire cities and suburbs to stereotypes, I always thought the northern "white" neighborhoods and suburbs of Dallas fit more into yuppie Orange Country stereotype then being redneck. Denton, for example, is suppose to be a pretty big hipster college town while McKinney seems to be to be more of a cliche yuppie suburbia rather then redneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas