Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:45 PM

11 posts, read 32,032 times

Advertisements

Oh...and yes, I do live in North Dallas. What do you guys think of San Antonio?
I am looking for ethnic festivals, a blending of cultures (White, Black, Hispanic, Asian), and possibly, at least 2 or 3 areas where it feels "urban"--people walking around, festivals, etc.

I know this is probably expecting too much, but anything that comes close to that would be better than what I'm experiencing now. Any votes towards Houston, San Antonio or Dallas?

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
What you are experiencing is the East Coast to Texas (also the south in general, and sun belt to a certain extent) culture shock. The phenomena should have a name, because it is real and can be VERY severe for some people. I went through it many years ago, and in all honesty it took me about 2 years to acclimate.

I understand what you are saying about the diversity, but I will tell you it is more than just that -- something that you may not know exactly how to describe just yet.

People here behave and interact differently from what you are accustomed to. The spoken communication, body language, etc -- different. It's not better or worse, just different. It can come across as shallow, or hollow, or dense -- but often it is not. People are polite, but they are also straightforward, and don't practice the sublety and friendly deception which is pretty common up north. They are more laid back, and will not be able to pretend that what may be important to you is also important to them. That doesn't mean they don't like you, or don't want to be your good friend... it's just that you'll have to figure out a whole new bunch of signals to determine what is what with the people you are interacting with.

Now that I've been here for 2 decades, I can't go back to the east coast lifestyle... I'm not capable of relating to the people there like I once did. Attitudes here seem so much more genuine, friendly, and MORE tolerant and open minded than the east coast to me now (tough for you to believe that now, I'm sure! but give it a chance and you'll see it's true.)

Anyway, back to your original questions. Homeinatx did sum things pretty well -- the culture shock I described above can be downright EXTREME in the suburbs of DFW, or really any sun belt city. Suburbs here are NOT like suburbs on the east coast. They can be extremely isolating and depressing if you don't know what you are getting in to. You would have a MUCH easier transition in one of the more city-like neighborhoods of Dallas. Although I also agree with other posters that Houston is the true gem of diversity in the state. It's on par with Chicago, surpasses Boston (despite another poster's claim to the contrary). Boston will have more European and Eastern European ethnic neighborhoods, where as Houston will have many more Asian, Middle Eastern, African, and of course Latino cultural/ethnic zones.

... but it's all still Texas, and you'll get the same ECCS (East Coast Culture Shock) in any city here! If it will help, just consider your time in Texas temporary. If you acclimate like I did, great! If not, jobs don't last forever. Especially these days. So somewhere else will be on the horizon eventually.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Yes, everyone, I believe at this point Houston may have more diversity than Dallas. I'm going to try and explain what I mean one more time, since I seem to be doing a terrible job! :-)
I'm talking about major ethnic neighborhoods where several generations have lived for many decades (if not a century!), with annual festivals, etc... . You people from the east coast know what I'm talking about! That's what I thought the poster was looking for, and why I responded the way I did about Houston.
Now the OP says she's in North Dallas, which means the northern suburbs in Dallas-speak. Sterile, sterile, sterile! If I lived up there I'd probably be depressed, too. To the OP-someone suggested moving farther south into Dallas and I agree. :-)

Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas isnt any of those things.

Dallas is newer to diversity than Houston is. Houston has been diverse for years, Dallas didnt start becoming diverse until the 90's or so.

I find living in Dallas similar to living in Chicago (the public transit obviously isnt as good). In Chicago and Dallas (lived in one and live in the other) people like being around other people like them. I dont really know that there is anything wrong with that. On the whole Houston is more diverse, but it also had a 50 year head start on that. Houston is the international trade city with the port in Texas and Dallas is the financial city in Texas. Dallas is also more fragmented than Houston. Houston is also more country and more southern. Thats certainly not bad, just the way it is. In the professional world, you are alot more likely to see the boots and jeans crowd (due to the oil industry no doubt). Dallas is alot more dressy and bit more shallow.

To the OP, you might like Houston better, but Ill warn you not to expect to live like you did in the east coast. Like Dallas, Houston has its strong points and its weak points. Houston is more international and more laid back Houston. Houston has more people, but alot of areas of Houston are as suburban as the suburbs in Dallas (Bunker Hill leaps to mind).
Well I'm pretty sure you'd agree that the Northern Suburbs aren't exactly embracing if you're not Anglo, White Hispanic, or Asian. I see why most of the blacks in the area choose to live south of I-30. Why live in a part of town where it's obvious you're not welcome? You know my post is closer to the truth than you'd care to admit.

Also, a lot of transplants move down to Dallas from more "politically correct" parts of the country and feel that moving to the more conservative Texas gives them free reign to be as obnoxious and let out as much pent-up racial frustration as possible.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:49 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Well I'm pretty sure you'd agree that the Northern Suburbs aren't exactly embracing if you're not Anglo, White Hispanic, or Asian. I see why most of the blacks in the area choose to live south of I-30. Why live in a part of town where it's obvious you're not welcome? You know my post is closer to the truth than you'd care to admit.

Also, a lot of transplants move down to Dallas from more "politically correct" parts of the country and feel that moving to the more conservative Texas gives them free reign to be as obnoxious and let out as much pent-up racial frustration as possible.
Dallas isnt a racist city. It is more segregated than a city like Houston, but it isnt racist. As I mentioned diversity is newer to Dallas. Cosidering I know a few African-Americans who live in Plano and Frisco who love it, I dont believe that you can blanket them like that.

Perhaps most blacks choose to live south of I-30 because they want to be around more people like them. Why is there anything wrong with that?

If you think that the people who move to Dallas are conservative, take into consideration that Dallas (and Irving) gets as many new residents from Mexico and El Salvador than other parts of the states.

To the OP, consider hanging out in Lakewood, Knox-Henderson, or North Oak Cliff. Its a step in the right direction from where you live. Lakewood is a neighborhood that is liberal, yet diverse.

Frankly if you think Dallas is bad, San Antonio is going to be a huge step in the wrong direction for what youre saying. Houston will the be the only other alternative.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM

11 posts, read 32,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post

LOL....too funny. Bet it's true though.
My husband wants to live in North Dallas because it's close to work and what the real estate agent recommended. We are currently looking to look move to another part of town and then move to either Houston or San Antonio in a couple years. We are looking to buy a home, not rent, because, it might end up being that we do have to stay here longer and not move to SA or Houston as fast as I'd like.
Anyway, in Dallas I feel so limited because the places I somewhat like are too far from my husband's job or the real estate agent discourages us: "not a good school district" or "not very safe".
We've been limited to parts of North Dallas, Southlake and Plano for those reasons...but those places are so boring, not diverse, AND ugly!!!! Mygosh..there has to be an area not so vanilla, that has good school districts and is safe.
From what I read in other forums, Lakewood seems like a nice area..but once again, too far!.

Any other recommendations?
Oh, and what do you guys think of SA?
TXngl...you're doing a great job at explaining what you mean...what you mentioned about ethnic neighborhoods with neighborhood festivals is exactly what I mean.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesMetaphor View Post
LOL....too funny. Bet it's true though.
My husband wants to live in North Dallas because it's close to work and what the real estate agent recommended. We are currently looking to look move to another part of town and then move to either Houston or San Antonio in a couple years. We are looking to buy a home, not rent, because, it might end up being that we do have to stay here longer and not move to SA or Houston as fast as I'd like.
Anyway, in Dallas I feel so limited because the places I somewhat like are too far from my husband's job or the real estate agent discourages us: "not a good school district" or "not very safe".
We've been limited to parts of North Dallas, Southlake and Plano for those reasons...but those places are so boring, not diverse, AND ugly!!!! Mygosh..there has to be an area not so vanilla, that has good school districts and is safe.
From what I read in other forums, Lakewood seems like a nice area..but once again, too far!.

Any other recommendations?
Oh, and what do you guys think of SA?
TXngl...you're doing a great job at explaining what you mean...what you mentioned about ethnic neighborhoods with neighborhood festivals is exactly what I mean.
Im not sure about Plano. Its the home to the second largest Asian American community in the Southern States behind Houston. Southlake is more what youre describing. Like Dallas, Plano isnt getting as many new white residents (theyre all going to Frisco because the homes are newer).

As I said before, if you hate Dallas, youre really going to hate SA. If you intention is to leave, only Houston will work for you. If you think Dallas is not diverse, SA is alot less diverse.

Funny thing is that statistically, DFW is one of the more diverse Metro areas in the US. You might actually check out Garland too. Walnut Lane in Garland is a big mix of Vietnamese, Black, and Hispanic.

I really think you should check out Lakewood. The Catch 22 is that DISD sucks. There really arent very many good public schools in Dallas. So if thats a huge issue I can see why you wouldnt want to be there.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Im not sure about Plano. Its the home to the second largest Asian American community in the Southern States behind Houston. Southlake is more what youre describing. Like Dallas, Plano isnt getting as many new white residents (theyre all going to Frisco because the homes are newer).

As I said before, if you hate Dallas, youre really going to hate SA. If you intention is to leave, only Houston will work for you. If you think Dallas is not diverse, SA is alot less diverse.

Funny thing is that statistically, DFW is one of the more diverse Metro areas in the US. You might actually check out Garland too. Walnut Lane in Garland is a big mix of Vietnamese, Black, and Hispanic.

I really think you should check out Lakewood. The Catch 22 is that DISD sucks. There really arent very many good public schools in Dallas. So if thats a huge issue I can see why you wouldnt want to be there.
Also another thing that LaNative has pointed out is that Houston isn't a HUGE step up from Dallas. Dallas is very diverse as well, but Houston might be a better choice due to better intergrated neighborhoods, even the suburbs (Missouri City, Sugar Land, and more).

San Antonio would only be MUCH worse; just don't expect moving to Houston to solve the issue because I just feel like maybe your homesick. Texas of course will be a culture shock, but it's still diverse enough to the point where you shouldn't feel like an outsider. Isn't like over 30% of the Dallas area transplants? lol

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 02-17-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Also another thing that LaNative has pointed out is that Houston isn't a HUGE step up from Dallas. Dallas is very diverse as well, but Houston might be a better choice due to better intergrated neighborhoods, even the suburbs (Missouri City, Sugar Land, and more).

San Antonio would only be MUCH worse; just don't expect moving to Houston to solve the issue because I just feel like maybe your homesick. Texas of course will be a culture shock, but it's still diverse enough to the point where you shouldn't feel like an outsider. Isn't like over 30% of the Dallas area transplants? lol
Way more than 30% actually. As of 2000:

53% of Dallas residents were born in Texas
25% of Dallas residents were born in another country
21% of Dallas residents were born in another state.

Given the trend in the last 10 years, I would expect the foreign born percentage to be higher now. Dallas proper is getting alot more Mexican and Salvadoran residents than white ones now.

Dallas Texas Social and demographic information

To the OP, Jluke is right. Houston would be a step up, but dont expect it to be drastic. The only thing that I would say would really give Houston the edge over Dallas is that HISD has better schools than DISD. Other than that, expect pretty much what youre getting in Dallas (maybe slightly better).

Old 02-17-2010, 09:44 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesMetaphor View Post
I don't have a choice to move to another state---I have to stay in Texas because of my husband's job. I was hoping, however, that Texas might have another city (Houston?) that is more ethnically diverse and culturally embracing than Dallas?
Please Dallas readers, don't get upset. I don't dislike Dallas. It's just different.

Thanks to anyone who helps.
Houston is a world away from Dallas as far as diversity is concerned. Many more Europeans, Latino's, & Asian immigrants. Think of Houston as Texas' version of LA on steroids & you'll get a pretty good idea. People also seem more open & accepting of different cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientation, & religions in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas